A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tell Target Movie Clip Help

Exclamation

Okay I've got a bit of a maze here which I'm sure is actually kind of simple to someone more experienced I'm sure. I'm using Flash MX. I want to use a button to trigger the Movie Clip to Play.

1. I have a button that sits on the main Time Line and a Movie Clip named BigScreen that sits on the main time line.
    2. The button has a Movie clip sitting in the keyframe associated with the Down position called Trigger.
    3. The Trigger Movie clip is attempting to tell the Movie Clip on the Main Time Line to gotoAndPlay a certain frame.

I've tried: BigScreen.gotoAndPlay(3)
    and I've tried: _root.BigScreen.gotoAndPlay(3)

Neither of which worked. Obviously I'm guessing. I'm sure this is a simple one. I appreciate any help you may have.

Thanks,

Tom

try this one:

with(_root._root.BigScreen){
    gotoAndPlay(3):
    }

cheers

try this one:

with(_root.BigScreen){
    gotoAndPlay(3):
    }

cheers

Banned
    Would be easier to simply ALT->double-click your button to open the actions window and set this action:

on(press){
    _root.BigScreen.gotoAndPlay(3);
    }

This should work assuming you've name the instance of BigScreen as being "BigScreen", and that the movie clip ain't just named that way.

You can then get rid of your trigger clip on the down state, which is probably why this ain't workin in the first place!