dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Feedback Form that when submitted goes to a fax number.

Looking for a way to take a Feedback Form on a website and when submitted, the information is sent as text to a fax number/fax machine.

Anyone?

A long time ago there used to be a couple of free services on the 'net that allowed you to FAX something via a FAX machine and it would end up at an email address. I'd start by finding one of thse and seeing if they can be used "backwards"

Thank you for the response. Yeah, so far I have not been able to find anything like that. I checked efax.com but it appears it only goes the one way. I am sure you need a fax server but surely someone is already doing this for profit. If not, sures seems like a decent business model.

Anyway......still looking for a solution so if anyone knows...please respond.

Thanks

Tom,

I'm going to close this thread since it was already responded to. Normally, I would just move it into an appropriate forum, like General Help or Actionscripting or such so you could get a better response.

If you start a new thread in one of the technical help forums, you'll surely get some more responses, as we've encouraged everyone here not to answer technical questions in the Boardroom.

Best regards,

-Jay

I'm opening this thread again for discussion about the business solution to this dilemma.

My mind began to race about what would be the best solution for this, and I even began sketching a model flowchart on how to get it to work. Then, I suddenly asked myself why in the world I would want a paper copy of a feedback form lying around to clutter my files. Not only that, but I couldn't then easily import the user-submitted information into a contact database, nor could I use it as electronic data to massage and reply with a custom auto-responder.

While I'm not opposed to the idea totally, I'm not sure if it's really the best way to go.

I could probably build a server program on my home network that could send directions to a plotter-pen, which would create a replica-handwritten-letter to send to my Aunt, but that would be ridiculous, right? Why? Well, because my Aunt Millie has email, and if I really wanted to hand-write a letter, I would just write it.

That's sort of the way I see faxing a feedback form. Sure, I could make it work, but why?

Some Fax-Server info you may be interested in...

http://www.faxserverfaq.com/Faqs/FAQ...fax%20servers?

I agree - I can't imagine that it would be the best way to go but it might be what the client wants. Some people need hard copies of information for files and this would be one solution for delivering them to the client. Of course, another solution is to have the form emailed to someone who would then print it.

Here is the scenario:

This is for a restaurant chain that does catering. They won't be checking an email account every 20 - 30 min to see if they have an order, but already do Fax-in orders for to-go. They want people to go to the website for catering information, prices, etc. and when they fill in the information it will be sent via fax to the appropriate location ( one of 50 locations ).

MajorTom - I've got the same exact problem right now - I'm building a site for a takeout deli. He wants people to be able to order lunch or dinner from his web site, but the order needs to come by fax, because he has neither the time or the equipment on site to keep email open and checked all day. It's much easier for him to just grab what's in the fax tray.

He already gets a large amount of orders via business fax.

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

Well, we have a temp fix. Ourfax.com

Its free but they are going to add ads to it. Anyone else come up with something that would be cool.

Hi,

from a technical point of view you just need a server equipped with a fax modem and some software like hylafax

Musicman