dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A different type of site check...

Okay... so, here's the situation. I recently became the digital photographer and general computer guy at an art gallery. They have a website. In my opinion, it sucks. Deisgn, function, everything. But that's my opinion.

I was *this* close to having my boss get freemindstudio.com to do it (local biz) and it would have been a kickass site.

however, the new web guy said he can do some of the main things we want (he can't) such as a search engine for 1.

I need you guys to come up with a list of reasons the site isn't very good in your opinion.

http://www.sdgallery.com

My list:
    He uses .jpg's for thumbnails. The thumbnails are too big, the jpg's he uses are so compressed you can't tell what the hell it is.

there is close to no navagation system at all. to get back to any section, it is impossible. The back button is the only means of navagation throughout the site.

The website portrays nothing of a PHYSICAL gallery - remember we're selling art, not just having a fancy site.

There is no structure to the site. It's just all kind of "there"

There is an unheard of amount of crap html littered everywhere - useless tages, ect.

The site is not consistent (look thru the artist pages... it's like they're different sites)

There are no links to the artist's websites on their pages.

He doesn't use meta tags (this pisses me off more than anything it says something about african art?? WTF?? I have no clue where that came from) and thus, we are not found on search engines.. like, at all. If you search for "Sacramento, Art" we shoudl be the top listing. We are probably the best, and most well known contemporary art gallery in sacramento, if not on the west coast.

The front page is... crap. It just sucks, no other words for it.

If I wanted to contact the gallery, I would'nt know how. I'd assume it was strictly on-line.

On a sidenote.. this guy gets paid an unheard of amount of money... let's just say it safely pays for his house payment and then some... oh, and that's just for "updating" the website, which entitles uploading pictures (tha I have cleaned up, sized, and emailed him w/ titles/sizes/ect...) and that doesn't includ what he charges for "updates" every year....

Thank you for your time and patience.

Originally posted by I Am Brak
    Okay... so, here's the situation. I recently became the digital photographer and general computer guy at an art gallery. They have a website. In my opinion, it sucks. Deisgn, function, everything. But that's my opinion.

I was *this* close to having my boss get freemindstudio.com to do it (local biz) and it would have been a kickass site.

however, the new web guy said he can do some of the main things we want (he can't) such as a search engine for 1.

I need you guys to come up with a list of reasons the site isn't very good in your opinion.

http://www.sdgallery.com

My list:
    He uses .jpg's for thumbnails. The thumbnails are too big, the jpg's he uses are so compressed you can't tell what the hell it is.

there is close to no navagation system at all. to get back to any section, it is impossible. The back button is the only means of navagation throughout the site.

The website portrays nothing of a PHYSICAL gallery - remember we're selling art, not just having a fancy site.

There is no structure to the site. It's just all kind of "there"

There is an unheard of amount of crap html littered everywhere - useless tages, ect.

The site is not consistent (look thru the artist pages... it's like they're different sites)

There are no links to the artist's websites on their pages.

He doesn't use meta tags (this pisses me off more than anything it says something about african art?? WTF?? I have no clue where that came from) and thus, we are not found on search engines.. like, at all. If you search for "Sacramento, Art" we shoudl be the top listing. We are probably the best, and most well known contemporary art gallery in sacramento, if not on the west coast.

The front page is... crap. It just sucks, no other words for it.

If I wanted to contact the gallery, I would'nt know how. I'd assume it was strictly on-line.

On a sidenote.. this guy gets paid an unheard of amount of money... let's just say it safely pays for his house payment and then some... oh, and that's just for "updating" the website, which entitles uploading pictures (tha I have cleaned up, sized, and emailed him w/ titles/sizes/ect...) and that doesn't includ what he charges for "updates" every year....

Thank you for your time and patience.

First off, i think it has alot of content, for power users its fine to see some examples.

Navigation: pick one, no top or bottom nav, if you have to use frames to keep a constant nav loacation.

Content: No intrigue, i just saw the whole xhibit and it cost me nothing!

Style: very plain, simple, No corporarte id or anything that singles this gallery from the rest.

In the what's new section, no one cares about 1999... update!

could use some jazz music...

How about an online store, sell something

i think you know the reasons why it's no good...

why don't you just do it yourself? can you design a better site? do it and present it to your boss... maybe you;ll be able to pay YOUR house payment, too!

=D

To put it bluntly - yes, I could do a better site.

However, I just don't have the resources. There is too much content for me to handle. I'm only 18 - and I'm starting college this fall. She needs pretty much daily updates, and for me to redesign a whole new site would take me too long while I'm in school...

Not to mention, she kind of has this mentality that since I'm young, I can not know as much about anything as someone who is older... god sterotypes suck.

maybe you can explain how the majority of the worlds web designers are 17-25... you should try, maybe just pool some friends and do it together..

p.s. your site is almost bryce and poser overload..

mullet king
    Why is everything on that front page a button? Is it a damn keyboard or something? If I saw that front page, I'd leave. It just ain't neat enough.

Eh? Care to e xplain a little more...?

hrm... i'd suggest contacting freemindstudio and let them critique it, and have them give a demo to your boss on what they can do.

In the long run it will be more professional then producing a list of things you dont like. And it may be more influental.

Usually those marcom sales people have a 6 shooter filled with catchy buzz words that'll floor your average numb-minded-boss into submission.

Originally posted by I Am Brak
    Eh? Care to e xplain a little more...?

heheh, wrong site... sorry yours is that pocket H one, i was rpleying to two threads at once (slaps forhead)

Smile SeniorSasa says

uch , uch , give'm to me i ll make it move http://www.miluno.com

oh yeah i forgot just tell em it sucks!

hey seniorasa

is that supposed to be a site, all i saw was a contact page....

uch uch

you mean it don t move enough? i m kinda confused now.... :P

The site is way too long and wide. JPG instead of gif. Navigation is bad and not visible.