dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why Not Elect Our Own Mods?

Why dont the FlashKit members elect their own mods? I think we would know who to choose.

Yeah, right !!
    And who would use choose ? One of your CL buddies ?

My first choice would definatly be ESW !!

h

well estudioworks would be my first. Then gerbick and juggopop.

Originally posted by younghistorians
    Why dont the FlashKit members elect their own mods? I think we would know who to choose.
    what's the matter? don't you like having the inmates running the asylum??

It sounds like a good idea in principle but the majority of votes would come from the coffee lounge, which is only a very small part of flashkit. The moderators are chosen for each forum because of their ability at a relative subject. The design and graphics forum will have mods that may not know any flash but are experienced at design concepts, the actionscript forum is staffed with moderators that show an eagerness to help alongside a good knowledge of actionscript coding.

What normally happens is that admin and moderators watch their forums for helpful members and then when a vacancy comes up or a board grows bigger and needs more moderation, the members who have helped out the most and shown maturity will be put forward as a moderator. If there are no objections, they become moderators of that forum.

You only get to become a lounge moderator after succesfully moderating for a number of months and only when you really want to and can show a certain level of being able to guide a thread.

If we opened it up to let members vote for moderators, we would most probably end up with a close knit community of mods who had the same skills and amassed together in the lounge thereby taking away a much needed resource in the help forums.

The way it is now, a whole cross section of the community are moderators, some with views that differ greatly with the views of other moderators, thereby creating different opinions on a manner of subjects.

Hope this helps.

vote for me !

I tend to agree with bruce, people would be voted in for the wrong reasons. some of the more popular and high profile members are not necessarily the best suited

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    ?????......the ones that run/own their own forum sites do elect their own mods.

david p.

Wow, I disnt think I could get the attention or more than 2 mods!!! I now see what you mean. Thanks Guys!

Hi, i recently saw on FK a guy pluging his own forum with

"first members become mods"

quite scary when u think of it

razormedia is right we dont all agree on things, and we all have our area of skill (mines sleeping)

the mods i know are a mixed bunch, i learn stuff from them as they will do from others

bp

I think that was me.

It actually turned out okay though...I got some good mods out of it.

Clif