A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preloaders for websites

I know nothing about preloaders and just tried a tutorial but failed badly. I think its because the tutorial was based on movies and not website animations.

I am wanting to create a simple preloader which loads my navigation bar. (the whole thing is a flash .swf file and is about 300k)

Please could someone explain the basics of how to do this or link me to the kind of tutorial I need.

Thanks

this tutorial is pretty easy to understand

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ac...20/index.shtml

or if you still cant get it, here is some more

http://www.flashkit.com/search.php?t...torials&page=1

I was getting ready to post a request for some tutorials on preloaders then I saw this one so I figured I would ask in here. I am in the same situation, i've never created a preloader and I tried to create one following a tutorial I had found that was about 2 years old and used some action script that gave me tons of output errors when I ran it. I am using MX and would love some tutorials on creating preloaders. If anyone has any or knows of any others I would be greatful.

I cannot understand the two tutorials that I need,

1st one I do not understand when it calls for the action "end frame loaded"...cannot see that action anywhere...or is it something I have to type in?

2nd tutorial...this line just confuses me,

Choose the text tool and click the Text Options panel. Make sure you select dynamic text from the Text Options panel and draw a small box next to the rectangle. Select the box and give it the variable nperc.

Makes no sense, they go on and on about the text and just as you think you are about to use the text tool they say to draw a small box..?!?!...with the text tool?, ok...also what do they mean by "select the box and give it the variable nperc"?

Lastly, these 3 things are what I don't "get";

1. How can I test the movie?, by just doing it from Flash its pointless as it loads straight away anyway.
    2. Tutorials seem to be keen for me to remember the last frame in my movie, yet my "scene" movie is only 1 frame long?!
    3. "what about if my "movie" has 10+ layers, does this effect how I program my preloader?

Thanks for listening

ok try it this way.
    say your preloader is 3 frames long. now on each frame select the text tool click and drag it to make a textbox.

right click on this text box and goto panels the goto text options. you see a drop arrow and the type of text to use. it will probably say static text. click the arrow and choose dynamic text. then in the variable field type
    percent.

ok on frame 2 put these actions

bytesloaded = getBytesLoaded();
    totalbytes = getBytesTotal();
    percent = Math.ceil(bytesloaded/totalbytes*100)+"%";
    if (bytesloaded == totalbytes) {
    gotoAndStop ("Scene 2", 1);
    }

scene 2 frame 1 would be where your website starts. now on frame 3 actions

gotoAndPlay (2);

you will have to put it on the internet to see if it is working because it will load too fast on flash player.

no, layers do not effect the coding. just put these three frames infront of your content.

That makes good sense to me, except for the fact of the total percentage that is displayed at the bottom. Did they start that thought in the tutorial and then not really finish it or am I missing something? The help is appreciated.

just search on yahoo for flash preloader demos

Hmph this is annoying, I have tried looking at multiple tutorials but still none are simple enough for me to understand. It doesn't help that EVERY one of these tutorials has a different way of doing it.

If anyone finds a good tutorial let me know, and if I find one I shall let you know Nick

ok here is an fla for a preloader

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/flashstuff/preloader.fla
    (right click, save target as)

use Test Movie... to see preloader work

To test a preloader at a simulated bandwidth:

goto- Control / Test Movie

then- Debug / (select speed)

then- View / Show Streaming

Sorry Mister,
    Preloaders are pretty hard. You can always fake a preloader by making it a regular flash animation with no loop.

I think what you guys are after are preloader demo's with a readme file showing pics of what icons actually mean, and where to go to do the action script...

We could do this as an actual movie.. Showing you what to select by givin you a sort of video recording look of what we actually press on to do these things....

Maybe this could be a challenge to some of the more senior flashguru's out there.... Anyone up to it, i could do it but im designing a site right now...

This may help....

A good preloader (Fla. source included)
    http://home.speedfactory.net/dkdesign/1preloader.zip
    Hope this helps...
    -K-