A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] Server Applications / netConnection

Hey all,

Long time flasher, but VERY new to FCS. I'm wondering what I need to do to set up a netConnection object. Do I actually have to have an .ASC file on my server, or do I need only a directory on the server. I recognize that to have any kind of server side functionality, I'll need to actually have some server side coding. But what if all I want is to successfully create a netConnection object? Specifically (just like someone else in another thread not far from here) I'm trying to recreate the doc_connect sample application.

I guess I also need a clearer understanding of just what the definition of server application is.

Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, all.

psx = new Moderator();
    You don't need a main.asc file. You are correct in that you only need a directory.

To simply create a net connection, try this:
    Code:
    my_nc = new NetConnection();
    my_nc.connect("rtmp:/my_app_dir/");
    I've left out the "onStatus" code, but you should be able to find that in the shared_text example file.

I guess a server application is anything that does something on the server. Though it's possible to do most things in the client side, with server-side code you can connect to flash-remoting, handle users/authentication, etc.

Psx

Thanks for the help. As it turns out, I was much closer to the solution than I thought. It was just a pathing issue. I was trying to .connect to "mydomain.com/flashcom/applications/myApplication" when all I needed was "mydomain.com/myApplication".

Hurts sometimes to be so close and so far away...

Thx again