A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: quicktime

Im working in Flash 5 and trying to make a cd rom with some video. Ive exported as a Flash 3, quicktime movie and most of it works great. Unfortunately, any looped sounds I have stop when I stop the film with actionscript. This doesn't happen in flash until I set a stop all sounds command. Is there a way to not stop the sound when I stop the movie.

Also, for user purposes. Can I have my flash projector go and get a quicktime movie and play it inside the projector? The projector is just better for cd's it seems.

any thoughts or help?

Originally posted by tlyford
    Is there a way to not stop the sound when I stop the movie.

I think what your saying is you want to control some loop sounds which are seperate from the sounds in your movie. If that's the case, just create a seperate sound object that only includes those sounds, then you can controll those sounds seperately.

The video sound should be controlled by the stop/start of your video, and the loops can be controlled by the sound object.stop. The stopAllSounds() ? you are using controlls all sounds in a global fashion.

5G

its not something that i know the details of but there are some actionscripts that are not supported by QT, could this be included?

dont think that you can use the quicktime movie inside your projector, cos linked QT's will only play in QT, but you should be able to launch the the quicktime player from your projector,. that is of course assuming that QT is installed on the host machine.

OK, your into a whole new territory. Yes, you can launch a QT movie from Flash using the getURL. But it's tricky. I've yet to do this in a projector, but in a browser you have use a redirect. Check out the method at the developers section of http://www.quicktime.com.

Basically, you have to make sure the QT plugin version is installed, then call a redirect (so it does'nt open in some other player configed to grab .mov's) using getURL('myQT.qtl"). Your server will also have to be configured to recognize the .qtl MIME type.

It's all there at Apple. To top things off, I've heard you can no longer do a QT player install with an .exe command - you have to send the viewer to the QT download - not cool.

Since you are trying to combine QT and Flash, you may consider using Live Stage Pro http://www.totallyhip.com that way your viewer only needs the QT plugin.

BTW - QT 5 supports Flash 4, QT 6 supports Flash 5. There is no Flash 6 support.

5G

sound objects

Wheels,
    These sound objects that you are talking about. Is that a flash thing or a quicktime thing. I am still learning my way around. But you are right. The video sound is fine, but it s the loops that stop. Can you talk me through that a tiny bit.

Also, it seems you are saying that in order to have the user get quicktime (especially windows users) they must go to quicktime to get it? I can't include the installer on my cd? ugh.

thanks for your help? its great

The sound object is a bit involved, but very powerful. Bottom line, you'll need to learn how to use it if you want to have any kind of controll over your sounds.

There are couple of ways to do sound. One is to export the sound in you library and dynamically attach it from with the attachSound() method.

The other is to stream the sound in by creating a sound .swf as a seperate file and load it with the loadMovieNum() method.

There is a ton of information here on the boards on this subject, I've outlined the mehods often in the Sound forum:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/foru....php?forumid=6

Also, here's a good tutorial: http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Au...43/index.shtml

As far as QT goes, it's like another world - you'll have to dig and experiment to get it right.

5G

tanks

Wheels,

your the bomb. Thanks for the help

Your welcome,

Always give back...

5G