A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sending URL parameters

Smile

I want to send URL parameters off through the "Open URL" action, but every time I attempt this, the end string gets cut. Does anyone know a better way to do this?

Thanks,
    NISH

Yeah, Sure, I think.

The Open URL should submit all of the variables in the movie to the url... I think, or that may just be in load variables. If it is not in open url then, you could write a javascript function and use that to open the url. Blainus, maybe you could help with this.

P.S. You may want to visit http://deadyeti.com for Blainus's site with many great tutorials.

passing vars

Originally posted by nishrevert
    I want to send URL parameters off through the "Open URL" action, but every time I attempt this, the end string gets cut. Does anyone know a better way to do this?

Thanks,
    NISH
    Are you trying to put them in the actual call?

http://yoursite/filename.html?var=x&var2=y

Is it a really long line?
    Provide a little more detail plz.

Yes...

aj and Blanius, Yes I am looking to hook them to the URL. I attempted using window.open, (in a java script) but it would not operate, I am not sure why (it works through an HTML page with <script> implantings). But what I am looking to do is take a particular variable (username) and pass it to the page to be opened.

for example: http://www.URL.com/url.htm?username=^the username would be here^

I am not sure why I am not able to get this working. If you could help I would be extremely greatful.

Thanks,
    NISH

unless it is a really long url (or username/parameter string), it should work.

Thats what I thought

That is what I thought also. I am really not sure why it is not taking. Have either of your ever attempted this before? And if so, have you ever had a problem with it? In the Open URL action, what would you enter into the section? I have tried setting it from everything I could think of. I even had it evaluate it as an expression, and then it actually tried to open the username variable as the location. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I have been working on it for over 4 hours trying to find a fix.

Thanks guys,
    NISH

I haven't had any problems with it, so I don't see why you should... Is your copy of 3DFA registered, and would this make a difference (mine is registered)

Re: Thats what I thought

Originally posted by nishrevert
    That is what I thought also. I am really not sure why it is not taking. Have either of your ever attempted this before? And if so, have you ever had a problem with it? In the Open URL action, what would you enter into the section? I have tried setting it from everything I could think of. I even had it evaluate it as an expression, and then it actually tried to open the username variable as the location. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I have been working on it for over 4 hours trying to find a fix.

Thanks guys,
    NISH
    Check make sure you have "open in current browser" selected. It's in the pulldown on the left. If this is a javascript call make sure you end it with "return void();" this might be the problem

You can send me the source movie file if you'd like and I will take a look. Your source is save with me.... I'm trustworthy, ask anyone here.

Re: Re: Thats what I thought

I'm trustworthy, ask anyone here.
    He Is!