A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] News ticker/section

True Life
    Hey people,
    I'm still working on a project for a company, but I still need two things:
    - A news-ticker that loads it's sentences in from a .txt or a .xml file. These can be found anywhere, but I want on where the messages fade-in and fade-out. Does anyone know where to find this?
    - I also need a simple script that can load in pieces of text from textfiles for a news-section. I want a script that can handle simple HTML-commands (especially the <A HREF> tag for links).
    I hope someone can help me with these two points
    Greets,
    Maarten de Groot

boy...I think you could find my site source file usefull (to create a news section...you will just have to modify it ever so slightly...).
    As for the news ticker with fading effects, I don't have the time to build you one on the spot...but you can download a free one from a friend of mine's site (http://www.microon.net/ - unfortunatelly sometimes it's unavailable...).
    Get in touch with him if you want his logo off it..

Anyway it's easy, once you understand the workings, to make some source file found around become something completely different...

Hope this helps!

True Life
    I will look at it, thanks for you post.
    My only question is: when I go to the site you refer to, I have to sign up. But I'm registered, I can't download a .fla anywhere I will need a .fla and no .swf because I have to put it inside another movie.
    Greets,
    Maarten

True Life
    No, that was not what I asked for
    I only want to have a newsticker and a mc that loads in news from a .txt or .xml file
    Greets,
    Maarten
    P.S. 'Token3', still thanks for the help, because the link you gave me is interesting and although it won't help me in this project, I'm sure it will come in hand
    P.P.S. 'Keyone.it', thanks for the help I will see what I can do with it

anyway, try getting through my site source file...there is more code to run the scrollbar than not actually the site...

http://www.key-one.it/

the hypertext on the left side is all created from a text file with a series of incremental variables.

Cheers!

True Life

Thnx

I allready downloaded that, and I must say that i think this is what I'm looking for. It loads in a .txt-file and you can use HTML commands. I will mail you if I have any questions regarding the source
    Thank you very mutch
    Greets,
    Maarten de Groot
    P.S. I am still looking for the news-ticker. Hopefully anyone can also help me with that one...

You are pretty much set for making one...
    there are many, many pretty effects you can achieve with simple workarounds...
    I tell you,...actually have a look at the news ticker I have on this site...it doesn't flash but would it go for you?
    http://pasodesign.com/

tell me...I can't give you all the source, but I can cut out the intrusting code..

True Life
    I was also looking at that. Too bad I have a fast connection, because the loader is gone in 2 seconds, but after looking at it for a couple of times I must say I'm impressed. How did you do this?

Actually it's the easiest trick...it is more of an ass to prepare the html and javascript.....

It's just matter of using the new LocalConnection() object (wiredly it doesn't lighten when you compile it in flash...and it's not described in the online Actionscript dictionary, but you can find a nice example on http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/)
    to make the two flash movies communicate together.
    It's pointless to explain how it works, because it's really easy and well explained on macromedia.com

I'm actually going to take it off when I do the site revision (probably before october), because it's not professional....if you understand what I mean...it's a corporate site, not a personal experimental lab..

Cheers!

True Life
    I will look at it, but can you still help me with the source code of the news-ticker?
    Greets,
    Maarten

well, tell me what you want exactly and I will do ya one after dinner....will ya be awake for the next hours?
    (I have to shawa and go outa eat...then I will do it for ya)

True Life
    If you have time for it
    I want the news-ticker you have on the site, but I want to be able to add effects. I would like the news to fade-in and fade-out (so a new item will fade-in and will fade-out after, say 10 seconds. And when it's completely gone, the second item will fade-in. When Flash reaches the last item, it will have to start on the beginning again).
    This is what I'm searching for.
    Greets,
    Maarten
    P.S. If you have any questions, just tell me. I will check the board on a regular basis.

Ok, give me about 1 hour to be set, and I will do it....
    shouldn't take more than 20 minutes...butta I want to be fresh and do it cool

ok, I'm about half way through....it's a ***** 'cos I'm really tired....so I'm having trouble coding...but it's good excercise, as tomorrow I'll have to start a difficult project..
    I think I'll be going to bed now, I'll finish it tomorrow..
    but give me a few details so that I can developed 100% custom..:

--- movie dimensions (width & height) - the textField will have a 5 pixel margin from the movie dimensions.
    --- kind of data displayed (I'm developing a visualizer like the one on microon.net...with a title and a brief body for each news..).
    --- unfortunatelly there is no way to achieve transitions between the movies with html text (which will only work with a non-embedded-font textField), this means that I will aim to achieve an effect like the one on microon.net, unless something else will be clearly requested.

I'm making it 100% actionscript, with absolutely NO GRAPHICS AT ALL....just for phun...

Good night!

True Life
    Well, let me give you the details:
    - The whole site (the site is one big Flash movie that loads in moveis) is 800x600. The 'frame' where the newsticker must come is 800x80, but this is also the space where the company's logo must come.
    - The kind of data displayed will be short pieces from the news. A bit like when you would make a news-ticker from your site where you put all the news items in short.
    - I like the effect used on Microon.net, so just use that
    I hope I have given you all the information you need.
    Greets,
    Maarten

Ok, I did it simple...but it's a nice startoff...
    You can always develop it
    Have phun!

http://pasodesign.com/extras/news.zip

True Life
    The link is dead Can you check the file and post the link again?

I'm so sorry.....

http://pasodesign.com/extra/News.zip

Cheers!

True Life

Another question :)

Ok, REALLY thanks for the source!!!!
    I only have one question about it: I have modified it a bit so it have different dimensions and it doens't require a link (you're version does). The only thing I can't find is how i can change it so it will load the URL in a _blank-window. Can you tell me how to do this?
    Greets + Loads of thanks,
    Maarten

you have to add this property to the <A> tag in the "type()" function..

where you see the big string with the html tags....

you will see something like <A HREF='" + link + "'><FONT ...."...

you must add this:

TARGET='_blank' just after the HREF property, ex.:

<A HREF='http://www.key-one.it' TARGET='_blank'><FONT>ciao</FONT></A>

Cheers!