A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Copyright and Screenshots

Hybrid View

HI all,

I've got a couple of copyright/trademark questions for you. I'm thinking about desiging a software training site for some pretty obscure software that was created by a compnay I used to work for. I want to use screenshots of the software in the lesson files. Is this legal or do I have to get thier permission first? FYI - I did not sign an NDA when I worked there.

Does the answer change if I start charging for the online training?

Do I have to put (TM) next to every trademaked word (such as software names) or can I put a tatement at the start of each lesson?

Well, I'm not a lawyer and definitely can't give real advice, but here's some experpts from the U.S. Copyright Office's page on fair use:

The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: "...quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations"

Copyright protects the particular way an author has expressed himself; it does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in the work.

The safest course is always to get permission from the copyright owner before using copyrighted material.
    For what it's worth,
    -monster.