dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: lighting a 3d text object from behind...getting 'flare'

Hi there,

I'm using Swift 3d quite religiously these days for my Flash work, and on a new project I'd like to light the site's logo from behind, and have the light overflow be seen. If you've seen the 'Farscape' television show logo, you know what I mean...the flare that happens when you backlight an object, I'd like somehow to make that effect. Is that possible with Swift 3D?

Thanks,
    shawn

No too sure about swift 3d as i think the front of the text will have no colour or 3d'ness to it, unless you were thinking of putting a second light facing the front?

Anyway you can do this on flash

Ray Of Light Effect

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    static or animated?

Thanks Guys

I love that Ray of Light tutorial, and it would be almost perfect, but, to answer the supreme question, I'm hoping for an animated light sequence (i.e., the similar to the logo 'shawn gibson photography' on my own site--done in Swift and brought into Flash) which incorporates that lighting effect in 3D and from behind.

In other words, 3 dimensional text, lighted from behind, (with the Ray of Light effect) with an animation sequence that has, say, the first frame with the light to the right, the middle of the movie it's all the way over to the left, then moves back over to the right, so it loops nicely.

shawn

Unfortunately I don't see this as being something you can accomplish with Swift3D. While Swift3D has lights that allow you to illuminate your objects and scenes, it doesn't produce lighting effects such as the one you describe.

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    You will have to create the effect post swift.
    Here is a link to a tutorial that can be applied to your needs:
    http://virtual-fx.net/vfx/tutorial/t...0_20020104.php

what if you made the 3d text, then took it into flash to add the effect?

I dont really see how thats possible with moving 3d text. You may be able to do that but it would take up alot of time in flash and to be hosnest i wouldnt even attempt it.

what if you just did it in photoshop, like make the text and use effects to make it look 3d and then you could do it in flash. Or you could try to draw in 3d in flash, in which case i hope your a good artist

caithness massiv
    i'm sorry, but we don't have lighting effects like that built in...

if you have 3dsmax, volume light is your answer

http://www.cfxweb.net/article.php?sid=617
    http://interneteye3d.com/Tutorials/2...ht/default.asp

just boolean out your text from a box or plane ... backlight the object with a light & camera ... add volume light ... animate the light accross the box ... render to .avi ... import into flash ... and you're golden

as rush points out, our lights are for illuminating an object to bring out its 3d qualities, and they aren't built to handle specific RASTER effects like the one you desire

maybe in another version...

good luck!

Thanks everyone!!!

From the Ray of Light tutorials, I discovered the problem is that, even if I decide to build the text in Swift, there is one thing 'missing': I've found no way to move the angle of the backlight (in Swift) without also changing it's position, which is opposite the Ray effect (which pans from a stationary position, at least the vision of it I have in my head). I do have access to a friend's Studio Max, but there was such a learning curve there that I gave up.

Maybe, for this effect, it's time to go back for a while.

But within these posts there may still be a Swift F5 answer...I'll keep looking. Who knows...it may lead to something creative by trying

Thanks again for your help

shawn

Hey, PhotoImpact has several premade lens effects built in. Easily exportable.