A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free upgrade to Swift 3D v3

Originally posted by 1a2b3c4d Don't get me wrong, I agree it is a great product. I'm just annoyed I have to pony up another $89 shortly after buying it!
    I feel your pain. I wish there was something I could do, but also try to understand erain's position. If they were to give all existing users a free upgrade how would they pay all those hard-working folks who slave away day and night adding new features to Swift3D for us to enjoy and benefit from? If they were to give a free upgrade to let's say all users who purchased V2 in the last 3 months, there would still be some poor sod who would cry out "I just bought V2 3 1/2 months ago! Can't I get a free upgrade too?!" Where do they draw the line? As I understand it, it is a fairly common industry practice to offer a month's grace period for people who want to buy the software before the release of a new version, allowing them access to a free upgrade to the newer version. It is also fairly common not to give any more than that.

It seriously sucks that you have to pay the upgrade price so soon after purchasing V2, but it truly is just sad circumstance that makes this a necessity. I feel for ya, bud.

Originally posted by 1a2b3c4d
    BTW, in perusing your responses and examples here on the board, I'm quite impressed with your mastery of this tool! You are a real asset to those of us learning Swift 3D.
    Thanks. I do what I can to help out.

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    how about half price upgrade for people who bought their V2 a up to 2 or 3 months before the release? sounds fair since these people just rushed in and bought their copy without the knowledge Erain gonna release a new version soon don't you think? then full price from 3 months onwards...

just my 2 cents...

I am sorry to hear that you think our upgrade price and policy are not appealing. I think our prices are inexpensive for the 3D industry and policies are better than most in the software industry.

I do understand why you are upset. I have been caught in similar new model release situations before in many different industries including software, automobile, TV, etc. What you must realize is that you purchased the product for its feature set at that current time. Swift 3D v2 is a powerful application that will likely fulfill your 3D Flash desires. If Swift 3D v3 adds new features that you require then you are paying for those additional features. For example, I purchased Office 2K about four months ago before Microsoft released Office XP. I will likely upgrade because I desire some of the new web functionality. This is my choice, I am not forced to upgrade.

Our upgrade policy was created according to industry standards. I hope you don't view us making policies to hurt our customers. In fact, we do the opposite. We try to make our policies work in the customers favor. We are very customer centric company. We welcome any customer who is upset with our policies to contact us. We will do our best to make sure that you stay happy and loyal.

Please understand there has to be a cutoff date for the release of a new version of a product and companies are going to need to charge for an upgrade. We would not be able to invest more time and resources into product upgrades if we could not receive money to pay the bills. Again, our upgrade price is determined according to industry standard of a percentage of the full product price. Our upgrade price percentage discount is actually less than many similar software products.

I don’t feel that your software price and upgrade comparison to Swift 3D is fair. The piece of software you mention is completely different in functionality and market sold. You chose to compare an extremely low priced software to Swift 3D. On the other hand, you could say that we are incredible bargain by comparing us to any high-end piece of 3D software.

I hope that this helps clarify our position on upgrades. We try our best to ensure our customers are getting the best deal possible. Again, we welcome you to contact us with any problems you have regarding our policies at – support@erain.com. We are open to changes if there is a compelling reason to keeping our customers happy.

- CubedFlash

Team Erain

I purchased my version of Swift3D in April, only two months before the date of the original poster. When I purchased it, I had to make a decision:

Would I be better off waiting for the new release (announced in March) and paying only $159 for the "next" version, whenever it came out

OR

Would I be better off paying the $159 (at the time), then upgrading later?

I chose to buy right away, and now I've got 5 more months on the program that I would otherwise have had. I feel I made the right decision. This upgrade price is about what the collector's edition of Warcraft III cost. I wonder how many folks here already have WCIII.

I think that the price to value of Swift is great. Why don't you wait for like 6 months, THEN purchase the upgrade, so you won't feel like you've shelled out the monies too close together? <--- that's a joke, don't take offense.

And as a comparison, the CorelDRAW V11 upgrade just came out for $249 (list). I've been using CorelDRAW since version 6. This has been the upgrade price every time. And, yes, I got it, even though the V10 upgrade pretty much sucked. The V9 upgrade was worth every penny. The V7 was pretty slick, too. I didn't get V8, but heard it wasn't the best ever (one reason why I chose not to upgrade to V8). So, is it fair that a long-time user should pay the same as everyone else?

Regards,
    Don

where can i see the new features for v3?? maybe u can quite people's whining after u show us the new features/capabilities of v3 hehehe...

Originally posted by phlegm_thrower
    where can i see the new features for v3?? maybe u can quite people's whining after u show us the new features/capabilities of v3 hehehe...
    I'd also be a lot happier if Erain could release at least some details about the new features in v3. Maybe just a post here - rather than going super public.

As soon as anything is posted here, it is super public. Soon...

can't wait and hope there are many new features... I enjoy Swift 3d V2, just hope the modling time can be cut in half I spend several all nighters working on models, which I eventually never use ... anyways can't wait

Originally posted by denveriv
    I spend several all nighters working on models, which I eventually never use ... anyways can't wait
    I've got folders full of models I have spent days working on and will probably never use. I have to say that I think this is the single best way to learn how to use the program. I experiment with whatever idea comes to mind. The techniques I learn while just playing around eventually end up getting used in one project or another, so I would call it time well spent.

Did we ever get a chance to start a version 3 wishlist? Is it too late?
    Top of my list would be better shadows (multiple and greys/gradients), transparent materials (even if this was just planes), and better eps import controls (eg edges, fills etc)
    Also maybe absolute measurements for properties (eg size, scale, angle, movement and colour). These could be recorded in a properties dialogue with each key frame.

Yeah, I'm afraid that the feature list for V3 is already pretty well locked in. There will likely not be any more features than those already slated for V3's release.

i just went to erain website and checked out the v3 section... i read what sounds like a promise of photorealistic output in v3... can't wait to see that...

Originally posted by phlegm_thrower
    i just went to erain website and checked out the v3 section... i read what sounds like a promise of photorealistic output in v3... can't wait to see that...
    Where did you find v3 info? I went to the erain site and, although they are already using the v3 logo, it appears to me that everything up there is about v2.

Originally posted by RUSHVision
    Yeah, I'm afraid that the feature list for V3 is already pretty well locked in. There will likely not be any more features than those already slated for V3's release.
    The main feature I'd like to see is better control and status of rotations applied to objects. Often I'd like to rotate a specific amount for X, Y & Z and then apply the same combination of rotation to other objects.

Plus, when I come back to a project to edit it, there is no way to know how much rotation has been applied to an object.

There should be another parameter on the left called Rotation with the ability to retrieve and directly enter X, Y and Z rotation settings.

Aw Man! That isnt fair. I bought Swift3D August 9th. Plz extend it for me. I'm only 12 and don't get much money...at all. I don't wanna have to pay an additional $89 for a mere 10 day difference. Please find it in yourself to let me have V3 from my V2 for free. Please.

Sorry, but I think it's safe to say that no exceptions will be made.

I just wanna say that I think the $89 upgrade is quite high. I am a supporter of smaller, lesser-known products such as Swish and Swift 3d in that I actually purchased them (quite unusual for me). I've only been using V2 for about three months, and this upgrade price is unacceptable.

Robert Henry

I guess we will add Mr. Henry's name to the list of poor unfortunate souls who will not know the joys of using the stunning piece of software that is known as V3.

It falls to each of us to make our own choices. It is regrettable that you find the upgrade price to be unacceptable. Let's say just for the sake of argument that you are a concert pianist, should people pay less and less each time they hear you play? Or should they get in for free simply because they heard you play three months ago? As cubedflash stated, you purchased V2 for the feature set it contained at the time of purchase. You may use V2 indefinitely and it will continue to serve you in the solid fashion that it has since you acquired it. However, if you feel that you could benefit from the new features offered by V3, then erain asks quite fairly that you compensate them for the effort and man-hours that it took to bring them into being.

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    I dont understand why everyone that feels the upgrade price it too steep keeps moaning!!?? If you honestly feel you will be missing out on certain features that you just can't live without and all your future work will look horrid all because you don't have the latest version ... sheeeesh, cough up the money and build it into the expenses your customers will be charged for you using the new version. This also stands true if you made your site yourself - how will changing the content on your site improve sales? Pretend the new version isn't coming out for another year. Do you still think the work you have achieved with version 2 is sub-standard?
    Food for thought

Originally posted by NitroCharged
    I dont understand why everyone that feels the upgrade price it too steep keeps moaning!!??
    I kind of agree. As one of the moaners early on - I have to say that I'm over it now - and am looking forward to the new features in v3