A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: basic help needed for load movie command

Thumbs down

okay i am working with MX just in case that is of any importnce.
    Now heres the deal. I am confused about the whole load movie and unload movie thing.
    I have my main .swf that loads and is the start of everything else. I want to on click of button "one" to load the contact us movie. And i want that movie to lead back to the main movie when the "home" button is released.
    now heres where i need all the help and bear in mind i am a complete idiot so be thourough please.
    so on click do i unload the original main.swf and then load contactus.swf or is there an easier more BW freindly way to do this? Like load movie on top of it and then close the movie when i'm done or what cause i am trying to bypass the whole reloading movie thing. I can do it the stupid way which is just go to contactus.htm and have it embedded in the html page but it seems that loading all at once would be better as far as lower bw is concerned. so give me a full blown thing here please. I searched AC tutorials and then i searched for load movie in the keyword search in the forum and to no avail. so i'm not too lazy to look just to stupid to get the jist of it i want to do it the best way possible so any help is greatly appreciated. is unload movie needed or can i just load the other on top of it then unload contact us or ... heck i think i am making myself dumber here so tell me if you need more info and what info you need. Heres another one is there a way to just import it as scene two into my .fla or is that more bw unfreindly. see i just need one explanation from someone and i'll be good to go but thanks again for any help. i would think the load movie would be faster cause then my main movie would be smaller is this right or what. okay i'm gonna shut up before this gets too long and redundant.

unload movie will not stop the main swf..

Unload and Loadmovie only pertain to external swf's

even if you load 5 movies the minute you choose to execute the unload command it will cancel all of them.

so say you load 5 movies and the user decides to click the button to unload the one movie, it will unload all of them sending him back to home.

as for the fla import.. what you can do is selct all the frams from youe xternally loaded movies and import them into movie symbols in a new doc, the copy and past the movies into your existing fla, then just load the movies locally, as long as you preload there shouldnt be anyproblem, remeber external movies need to be preloaded as well or you might get lag.

it depends on what you want to do, i can tell you how to do both if you like.

Wink that made total sense of it for me

that actually explained everything i wanted to know heres an additional question say i load a .swf that is 740x500 where the main is 740X400 will the table resize since it is set at 100% or will it remain the same as the original truncating part of my movie?

so i take it the code is really simple on the button i add the load movie command and point it at a movie in the same folder and it loads it correct? and then to go back to main i use unload movie command.

that seems way to simple cvompared to what i was thinking was involved. leave it top me to make a simple task hard.lol

thanks a lot juxta i appreciate your help.

I don't believe your main movie will resize... if you load a 7x5 movie on a 7x4 main movie you might loose the esdge, don't know for sure never done it.

as for the movie.. the easiest way to do it would be this.

say you have 5 buttons.

profile, services, contact, links, home.

In the action of each button have the line

on (press) {
    unloadMovieNum(0);
    }
    on (release) {
    loadMovieNum("nextswf.swf", 0);
    }

now say you click on profile, once that person is done and decides to go to services the unload command is there and will close profile and open services, so and so forth for the rest of the buttons.

if you want to do the windows X method, place the first line of that string in the actions of the x, you can also change press to release, or roll, over whatever you wish...

need more?

thanks

nope that covers it well. Thanks again for all the help i was really getting confused its nice when someone has a plain simple way of explaining it. thanks again juxta!