A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] Bloody 'Ell! What part of MASK isn't clear?

Cow Icon

OK. So I have the following problem.

Up until tonight, I'd never done a mask in my life. I wanted to do a simple green-to-black radial gradient on a black background, pulsing inside the word "loading."

Following the tutorial in the Flash manual, I created three layers. One would house the green gradient, one would have the black background, and the third would hold the words "loading" in 45-point Papyrus.

I finished all the simple graphics, realized as symbols to simplify motion tweening. I added everything to layers, and properly attached them as masks. They showed up as masks. They tested in Flash as masks, looking just fine, but the minute I exported them to test the scene, it utterly forgot that masking existed. I got a big black blob with a green pulse in the middle, but no letters. The Mask layer had seemingly dropped off the face of the earth somewhere between my testing in-program and the export phase. Got any idea what might cause this? I've tried every which way, and it just ignores me.

ctishman, if possible, post a link to download your .fla file.

Just a thought, can't tell since you didn't include your .fla file (not the .swf), but make sure that both the mask layer, AND the masked out layer are locked....

If not, send a link to the actual *.fla file, or e-mail it to me (raverix@cantano.net). Hope this helps.

OK. Let's give this one more shot.

http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman/eqmap.zip

Careful. It's hefty.

Yeah, all ya gotta do to get it to work is go into the library and change the behaiver of the loading animation. you had it as a graphic,single frame, set it to movie clip and you're good to go. Good Luck.

http://www.cantano.net/eqmap.html - Here's your movie in all it's glory (I'll take it down tommorow)
    [Edited by Raverix on 08-18-2002 at 04:28 PM]

Wierd! I changed it, but my Flash player still refuses to show the mask. I'm on MacOS X, Flash's internal SWF player. Your version shows up fine, but mine still doesn't get it.

Please, someone help me with this! It's driving me nuts! I've tried everything everyone has told me, and it just doesn't work!

Here's the problem I'm having:

http://plainself.tripod.com/holtmap/flashtest.html

If you see a perfect mask of the words "loading", and it's just a quirk of my machine, please tell me!