A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a skillset this wide??

Hi guys

been a while since i visted the 2a site, though i would take alook at their portfolio when i noticed there was a job vacancy that really made me chuckle, now i know they are one of the best and oviously only want the best, but do any of you guys here at flashkit have a skillset this wide? give me a spare twenty years and I might actually be able to have a skill set like this!

Definetly the scariest job ad I ever seen.

Position: Web Developer

At 2Advanced Studios, we have made it our mission to consistently challenge the ordinary. We're seeking to grow our small team with the addition of an experienced Web Developer who, with superior technical training and comprehensive knowledge of multiple programming languages, will be primarily responsible for developing client solutions from conception to delivery.

Skillset Required:

We are seeking an individual with exception programming skills in Macromedia Flash MX (ActionScripting), Microsoft Visual Studio (C#, C++ and Visual Basic), PHP, Java, Javascript, Macromedia ColdFusion, Perl, and MivaScript. Experience with the following advanced web technologies is critical; JSP, EJB, JDBC, SOAP, WAP, SGML, XML, XSL/XSLT, CSS, DHTML and WML. Database design and normalization for the web with Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle 9i, MySQL, PostgreSQL and Borland InterBase is a must. Position also requires a minimum of a BS or BA in a related field or equivalent industry work experience. HTML, with Macromedia Dreamweaver, Adobe PhotoShop, Erain Swift3D, Macromedia Flash MX, Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand is a must. Candidate must meet ALL of the above criteria for consideration. Salary commensurate depending upon experience. Please submit your resume by e-mail ONLY to jobs@2advanced.com. NO CALLS PLEASE.

Just hope the einstien who gets the position gets a salary to match.

_
    yea, they are expecting a little to much.. lol

yea, they are expecting a little to much..
    just remember that they are 2advanced

_

[/quote]
    just remember that they are 2advanced [/B][/QUOTE]

Well they arnt gona find there webdeveloper... lol

Originally posted by MASA
    yea, they are expecting a little to much..
    just remember that they are 2advanced
    And just remember we are only human, lol

Everything but..

BS/BA Though I have 5 years work experience.
    MivaScript (its just a tag based scripting language like Coldfusion - if you wanted the job!!!)
    Borland InterBase (It's SQL standards based how hard could it be once you know PL/SQL and T-SQL)
    WAP & WML
    And it has been 2 years since I did anything Java based and 4 years since I did anything in Perl.

Its not absurd. Its just highendish..

Hi,

I am lacking ANY experience with ANYTHING that requires a commercial OS to run on, like FMX, C#, visual anything...
    Now that I know the skillset of 2a, maybe I should get someone to ask them for a quote on some things I am experienced with but are missing from their skillset

Musicman

Originally posted by galfred

Its not absurd. Its just highendish...
    I agree and disagree.

I agree that the skillset are NOT absurd.
    Any developer worth their salt will know atleast 2 C-based languages such as PHP or Java, have experience with perl
    and have knowledge at the minimum of ANSI SQL and PL/SQL (read: postgre/MySQL and Oracle 8i)

However, requiring that the candidate have all the skills and a BA/BS is bogus and makes me wonder if these guys have a clue as to the background of a lot of the more skilled developers. The only developers I know that bother to get a degree in CS are not very good anyway (atleast the ones that aren't studying at Stanford, MIT or CalTech). The talented always drop out before they get as far as an AA or shortly there after since by that time, they have enough understanding to go out and build something big or work for someone who is.

So here I think 2advanced has gotten 2advanced for their own damn good.

Originally posted by l0ungeb0y

So here I think 2advanced has gotten 2advanced for their own damn good.

Nicely said!!!!

Hi guys

I thought I would email 2a and ask how they doing on replies heres howthe email went -

Hi guys

Is this position for real, or is it like a late april fools joke, have you had anyone with a skill set that wide contact you? if ya could wait 15 years I might be able to learn all that and be working for you guys, or maybe u guys could be working for me if I did actually have a skill set that amazing,

Kind regards

Grant Long

p.s what type of salary we looking at here?

And heres the reply I got from Tony Novak -

This has been quite common of the Senior Developers that have applied for the position. Our salaries are confidential, but are WELL ABOVE market averages. In all, we have seen considerable applications for the position (which is pretty typical here at the studio) and have narrowed the field to a short list of candidates.

In general, the "best of the best" developers should easily have all this and more. But for our development staff, we have a very high expectation as well. Our least experienced developer has 12 years actual work experience + schooling...

Thanks for the interest.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

Longy,

We appreciate your interest and willingness to follow this topic through. However, in general is this really Boardroom material? Perhaps you are spending a little too much time on the matter?

Originally posted by tpnovak
    Longy,

We appreciate your interest and willingness to follow this topic through. However, in general is this really Boardroom material? Perhaps you are spending a little too much time on the matter?

OK feel free to terminate the topic, I just though it would get a good discussion going on how wide of a skill set you need now days to make into the top agencies. Sorry if you dont think its board material, what happened to free speech?

anyway np, if ya a MOD just lock the topic.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

It's not my place to lock the topic. I'd rather prefer that if you are interested in discussing the qualifications required for joining a higher-end 10 person studio, that you just do so. On another note, it would probably have been polite to also let me know that you were planning to post my e-mail correspondence to you in a public forum such as Flashkit.

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    I dont think the skillset is out of line. I have half of those things listed...and I am just an Art Director at 2A. Most of those things just come with the territory. I know a handful of people who fit the bill but are in high enough demand to have other full time gigs so aren't available.

Shane
    http://www.pixelranger.com

Originally posted by tpnovak
    Longy,

I'll take a stand for longy here.
    This is boardroom material. This forum is for professionals who want advice and note sharing from other professionals.
    This thread is directly related to 2advanced requirements for a professional, and thus directly related to the stated purpose of this forum, in a nutshell this topic boils down to "what professional here can get this job?"

And ya TP, I would have assumed your midian age for a developer is mid-30's to early 40's. I find it sad to think a company would summarily dismiss blooming talent because a piece of paper didn't list everything a company wanted. Basically, potential and future worth mean nothing to that organization. I wish Microsoft had the same views as 2advanced, then we wouldn't have to deal with them today since they would never have aquired the brain-pool they have.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

However, requiring that the candidate have all the skills and a BA/BS is bogus and makes me wonder if these guys have a clue as to the background of a lot of the more skilled developers. [/B]
    l0ungeb0y,

Please take a read through above once again... I believe it in fact reads: "Position also requires a minimum of a BS or BA in a related field or equivalent industry work experience."

Thanks to loungeboy for the stand and some excellent points, and sorry to tony for posting his email reply without informing him first, but not sorry for starting the thread, as I cant see why its not boardroom material.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

And ya TP, I would have assumed your midian age for a developer is mid-30's to early 40's. I find it sad to think a company would summarily dismiss blooming talent because a piece of paper didn't list everything a company wanted. Basically, potential and future worth mean nothing to that organization. I wish Microsoft had the same views as 2advanced, then we wouldn't have to deal with them today since they would never have aquired the brain-pool they have. [/B]
    I appreciate your comparison between Microsoft and 2Advanced, as if we were even in the same category
    [Edited by tpnovak on 08-20-2002 at 09:13 PM]

Nice to see my post got such a reaction.
    Guess I wont be working at 2advanced anytime soon
    Especially since I wont be wasting my time going to college
    to get a BS degree from teachers who ask me for my notes so they can use them, which is why I dropped to begin with.

The point I was making, which was completely missed is that papers and certs mean nothing and cannot compare to actual imagination, innovation and creativity. To base your hiring reqs on such stringint and irrelevent requirements will make the company stringent and irrelevant as well. Since by being so narrow minded, the company misses opportunities it never realized it had because it couldn't bring iteself to see and/or value them.

Microsoft was used as an illustration of a company that values minds for their potential worth rather than what a piece of paper says, I would hardly compare 2advanced with a real software house, just handy interface makers who make your standard webservices but with a brand.

But the point carries, Microsoft would never have amassed the brain pool it has if it dismissed talent because they didn't have everything they wanted.

That's all really good skills on that set, takes long time to level up and gain experience on,

but if someone has it wouldn't he/she be real rich?