A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: streaming not streaming

I AM CONFUSE-ED!
    i've compressed my quicktime movies using a program called Cleaner. in my compression settings, i selected "progressive streaming". i put the movies on the server and created links within my Flash site.
    when i go to my site, the movies play as they are downloading, they stream, and it's BEAUTIFUL.
    however, this is ONLY the case on my home computer.
    when i use other people's computers, PC or Mac, the quicktimes do not play immidiately but make the user wait until the full movie has downloaded.
    some files are up to 9MB so this is unexceptable.

can anyone help?
    any help or experience is very much appreciated.
    Peace&Thanks_
    KQ

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Did you select "Progressive" or "Streaming". They are different settings. As far as I know Cleaner does not have a "Progressive Streaming" setting.
    If you selected "Progressive" that is what is causing your problem. Try selecting "Streaming" instead.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

Jonathan_B
    Thanks for your replies. I'm sure I'll find great stuff with your web cam tip.
    Back to this thread....
    I'm using Cleaner 5. There most definatly is a setting called "Progressive Streaming", which is what I used.
    Perhaps I'll try to use another setting "RealTime Streaming". Would be nice to get the desired effect with the aforementioned however.
    *if you are into video have a look at this site:
    http://www.pleix.net
    Peace
    KQ

Wildform Moderator
    Yes, try the real time streaming option.
    Thanx for the link.
    jb

The QuickTimes are still stalling.
    They don't begin to play until they have downloaded entirely. I've tried all the Cleaner 5 options.
    The RealTime option, however, says that it requires a dedicated QuickTime Streaming Server.
    I'm not yet sure as to what that is...
    Yet another possible hang up_
    could it be the code that I'm using to call the Pop-Up window for the movie?
    code:

Put QTs in MX

ok.
    i'm trying something else.
    i've made an fla for my quicktime called tree.fla.
    i'm importing my quicktime movie into this fla.
    i wish to link this movie as an external video clip.
    it says i have to export the movie as a quicktime file in order to see the video but when i do that, a message appears saying that my installed version of quicktime can't handle this type of swf export.
    also i've tried to link the movie in the library window under "linkage" but am not seeing an option to do so.
    maybe i should take a break.
    can any flash pros help a vidiot?
    KQ

On the first question, make sure you have checked the checkbox for your movie to autostart in QT - might be it.

Second issue, your talking about two different things. It can be a bit confusing, but you want to do one of three things.

1. Import your movie to Flash, and export it with linkage in the library (this will load with the rest of your movie and play when you call it without having do download).

2. Import to Flash and burn off a .swf of the movie to load dynamically with loadMovieNum(); (Must be loaded to a level to stream, or to a MC - which will have to fully download first).

3. Import to Flash and export as a QT movie or a QT movie with a flash layer. You'll need to import the .mov to the library, then publish as a QT .mov with the player settings to Flash 5. The latter will require that you have the proper QT player to view the content. QT5 for export as Flash4, and QT6 for export as Flash 5. No Flash 6 in QT.

You only link to publish from the .fla, after that you have a new .mov. This allows you to place a Flash layer in your QT movie.

5G
    [Edited by Wheels on 08-21-2002 at 02:27 AM]

Wheels_
    I am wondering if you could walk me through number 2 above...?
    I grasp the idea but the methodology involves some uncertainties.
    First I import the QT to Flash, but I'm importing it and selecting the external link option, rite?
    Then I put the "loadMovieNum();" code in perhaps the first frame of a MC that I can call upon the user's selection to play the rescpective video. (sounds rite?)

My immidiate questions:

-What is the actionscript beyond "loadMovieNum();" that I'll need to load the .swf dynamically? I'm not very sure footed in the actionscript window yet.

-How exactly can I load the movie, and then, how to set the "level"?

Some of my movies are up to 9MB, is that still cool for this technique? Or should I choose option 1?

Best Regards,
    kq

Option #2 can be done one of two ways:

1. Open a fresh movie at the same dimension as your target movie. Import the movie to the flash timeline by choosing "Embed in Flash" then choose your settings in Spark. Place the movie where you want it, add any scripting you want, then publish as a .swf.

2. Using a conversion program like Sorenson Sqeeze for MX (Spark Pro) or Flix, Flashants etc.. convert your .mov file to .swf. This will create a movie that can be loaded dynamically with loadMovieNum();

Now you can call the .swf to your main Flash movie with the loadMovieNum("my.swf", 200); or to a timeline(MC) with loadMovie("my.swf", "_root.targetMC");

5G

THANK YOU
    Wheels for all of your time and help.
    This is what I was after.
    You are super cool for helping me.
    I don't know if you're interested but this is a site someone showed me yesterday...
    http://www.pleix.net/
    some good videos.

Peace_
    KQ

Your welcome!

Glad it worked for you. The site you linked it pretty cool, I would love to get the javaScript for the popup that slides into position. That's slick!

5G

sent an email to pleix.net asking to see if they'd divulge the scripting for the sliding java windows.
    i'll let you know if i hear back_

Lightbulb

They actually used some of the built-in JavaScript functionality built into Adobe GoLive 6. Trying to decipher GoLive JavaScript is like doing dental work on yourself. ...don't do it, hehe. The source code is here, but, again, Adobe has done what they can to make it hard to follow. It's pretty advanced stuff.

Here's the imported GoLive Script Library:
    http://mapage.noos.fr/pleix/Generate...CSScriptLib.js

Here's the code on the actual Web Page that uses what's in the imported Script Library:
    http://mapage.noos.fr/pleix/PleixEnglish.html

Good luck trying to decipher all of that crap!

There are other ways to do it using more legible JavaScript. Here's a page that explains all of the JavaScript Window Object properties and methods pretty well.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/winprop.html

To "animate" a window's position, you need to use the "moveBy()" or "moveTo()" method, inside a JavaScript "for" loop that moves it in increments by XX number of pixels each time. In theory, it's a lot like animating objects in ActionScript, except instead of putting the code that actually moves the object inside a looping 1-frame movie clip, you put the code that does the moving inside a JavaScript for loop.

As always with JavaScript, browser compatibility can be a pain, so don't code anything that will make your site unusable if the code doesn't happen to work.

L8r

-skyeflye

Thanks Skyeflye,

I dug into their site as well and realized it was canned. I've played around with this method a bit, but I'm always flustered with the browser issues.

Nice work.

5G