A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adobe Illustrator files in Flash

Hybrid View

I am confused about Illustrator source types and their use in Flash. I do not use Illustrator, but I need to use some files created with it. I see that Flash will accept Illustrator files in .ai and .eps format. My questions to the experts:

- What is the difference between these two formats: .ai and .eps?

- Which is the best to use in Flash?

- Is either format (.eps, or .ai) any smaller in file size than the other?

- Is .ai the default extension for Illustrator source files (like .fla is for Flash)?

- Are .ai files vector graphics?

- .eps files are vector graphics, yes?

I got some .eps files from a graphic designer that are pretty simple, but the file size is huge, what gives? The graphics do look nice, but the same thing created in Flash would be a quarter of the size at least. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

My answers are under the questions

Originally posted by foul_mouthed_sailor
    I am confused about Illustrator source types and their use in Flash. I do not use Illustrator, but I need to use some files created with it. I see that Flash will accept Illustrator files in .ai and .eps format. My questions to the experts:

- What is the difference between these two formats: .ai and .eps? The file extensions listed above are short for: .ai for Adobe Illustrator native file and eps for encapsulated post script file.

- Which is the best to use in Flash? Flash is a Macromedia program. Illustrator is an Adobe program. And an eps is a generic vector based file. Macromedia and Adobe are fierce competitors and so talk to each other as little as possible. Whenever you bring in an ai file, Flash likes to drop points an layers when and where it pleases. You are going to have more luck with an eps.

- Is either format (.eps, or .ai) any smaller in file size than the other? an eps is generally smaller.

- Is .ai the default extension for Illustrator source files (like .fla is for Flash)?Yes

- Are .ai files vector graphics?Yes, provided you create all art in the illustrator file. If you import raster based files (such as gifs, jpgs, psds and the like)then the file is mixed.

- .eps files are vector graphics, yes? Certainly

I got some .eps files from a graphic designer that are pretty simple, but the file size is huge, what gives? The graphics do look nice, but the same thing created in Flash would be a quarter of the size at least. Any ideas? If the art is strictly done in Illustrator, then just physically shrink them and resave in Illustrator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Another thing to look out for is if someone rasterized any or all of the image (converted the vectors to pixels) and then saved it as eps. An eps can contain either vectors or bitmaps. That might explain the larger than expected file size.

-monster.

O.k, you can start by exporting your illustrator file in swf format. Then import it in flash that the simplest method.
    Now you do have an extension that can do the job for you with optimisation and stuff like that, I'll try to find it and post it afterwards.

Holy smoke! Thanks alot for that tip. I just compared the quality of an swf to a gif in Flash and, well, it was easy to see which was better. Knowing that small bit of info will really help me and alot of designers here at FedEx.

Still kisses with saliva save_larry's Avatar
    an empowered & informed member of society
    Not that this is going to help much, but I've had problems with swf files exported from Illustrator. They still don't work in Flash very well, especially when using alpha fading. Even the really small files. I'm still working on optimizing some illustrations down to where they don't move choppily anymore. It's been pretty maddening.