A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .HTML or .SWF?

Hello,

Can someone please explain to me the purpose of the HTML page that is generated when you publish a movie please?

I see in the folder there is "my.HTML" and "my.SWF".

The reason for my question is that when I play the HTML page, everying work OK, but when I run the .SWF, it runs, but there is an error on one off my buttons.

How can this be so?

The html is useful for several things like inserting metatags for search engines, inserting javascript functions, positioning the swf file in a specific location of the browser window, etc.
    The first thing that comes to mind is that the button probably has some javascript. Javascript works only when viewing it in the browser.

To place a flash movie(swf) on the web it needs to be embedded on a html page. If you were just going to make a small swf and place it in another program like dreamweaver then you will not need to publish the html becuase dreamweaver is html based. Sometimes you place one swf inside another swf; then you only need the html for the main swf.If you are not placing the movie on the web you do not need the html file.

Taz

swf makes it bigger

OK, Thanks.

When uploading my flash to the internet, which file do I upload?
    At the minute I have an index page with some javascript in that detects whether your computer has the flash player, if so, it opens up the movie. I haven't embedded the .swf anywhere, I just simply point to it and it opens.

I have only uploaded the .swf that is produced from publishing the movie, so does this means that any of the javascript in my flash movie won't work?

Do I need to upload the .HTML file that is produced by publishing aswell/instead?

Thanks

Hi,,,

As said above.....you have to upload both the swf and the html file...if you want stuff to work correctly.

Cheerio

RanTen