A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dell to sell unbranded PCs

Dell to sell unbranded PCs

The computer giant Dell is to start selling low-cost, unbranded computers to dealers in the US who supply small businesses.
    The move into the so-called 'white box' market means Dell is now targeting a sector worth an estimated $3bn a year.
    Until now Dell has shunned selling computers to dealers, regarding them as costly middlemen, and has sold custom PCs directly to the public.

Sounds good, doesn't it...

TE

Civilian
    Dell also caved in under the M$ support policy. They are no longer allowed, after Sept 1, to sell their current lines without M$ installed.

I hear that the new nSeries will gear toward another model though. We'll see.

Since Gateway left the UK, Dell have almost taken over! Everything is Dell, including this computer I am on now, and I must say, they are very good.

TE

Originally posted by jstarkey
    Dell also caved in under the M$ support policy. They are no longer allowed, after Sept 1, to sell their current lines without M$ installed.

I hear that the new nSeries will gear toward another model though. We'll see.
    That is FUD
    They can't have OS-less CPU's be distro'd.
    They CAN still have Linux installed per the license,
    just not CPU's being shipped WITHOUT an OS.
    Big difference from being REQUIRED to ship MS on ALL Dell CPU's.

Civilian
    Originally posted by l0ungeb0y

That is FUD

They can't have OS-less CPU's be distro'd.

They CAN still have Linux installed per the license,

just not CPU's being shipped WITHOUT an OS.

Big difference from being REQUIRED to ship MS on ALL Dell CPU's.
    I thought they'd stopped offering Unix/Linux installs in 2000 and instead were offering systems without an OS.

If that's the case, once they were no longer allowed to offer the clean drives, it would have to be a Windoze install.

Any idea how Microsoft is justifying this? How is it they can govern the way Dell ships it's drives?

Originally posted by jstarkey

Any idea how Microsoft is justifying this? How is it they can govern the way Dell ships it's drives?
    Yes, quite easily... I have the script right here:

Dr. Bill: Gentlemen, as you all know I control a vast and powerful software licensing scheme that gives me full control over your businesses and I am not afraid to use it. I call it the OEM license, but I can't quite remember why I call it that... but no matter Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha ...Or perhaps you'd like a better name?

Dell VP of sales: Just what do you want Dr. Bill?

Dr. Bill: I want you to get rid of all pre-assembled CPU's that do not have an Operating System installed, because the end user might not install windows... or worse, that fiend Austin Torvolds might write another OS on one!

Carly Fiorina: And what if we don't comply?

Dr. Bill: Oh... then we wouldn't be an EvilSoft prefered OEM vendor now would we? Nooooooooo... so then each licensed installation would cost...
    (Dr. Bill makes "air-quotes")
    ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS!!!! Bwaaahahahah-hahahah hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha Bwaaahahahah-hahahah-hahahaha heh

-----------------------------------------------

I think that paints a pretty fair picture
    [Edited by l0ungeb0y on 08-22-2002 at 09:56 PM]