A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash CD for PC/Mac

Does anyone have a moment to give me step-by-step?
    1.I created my presentation in Flash, no fancy FS commands, just an exit button.
    2.Create an .exe
    3.Burned the .exe with an autorun text file onto the CD.
    What do I need to do to get this to run on a Mac before I actually burn? Are there sequential steps I can get instead of a link to that 'Flash Projectors and Burning CDs FAQ Sheet'

I have a big presentation to present and prove that this will work on both platforms. Or should I just tell them to forget the Mac users. Im using simulated video to eliminate codec issues etc.

Thanks,
    mark

Mark,

You'll need to create a mac projector to have the flash file run as a standalone on the macintosh. Exe files will not work. This means you need to open your FLA in flash on a Mac then save the file as a mac projector.

Once you have the mac projector created you'll need to create a mac/pc hybrid disc.

Here's a link explaining that process:
    http://www.union.edu/RESOURCES/curri...ps/hybrid/#Mac

Bottom line, to have a standalone flash file run on a mac you need the flash application for mac. Macromedia sticks it to you on this. They do the same with Director.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

If you want to see your Mac projector before burning, decode .hqx file on Mac and run it. If you have access to a Mac with Flash and Toast, I'd say go for it and do everything on Mac, but if not, you still have the option to burn hybrid CD on PC, and that's what I tried to explain in 'Flash Projectors and Burning CDs FAQ Sheet'.

Hope this helps...

DD

They aren't really sticking it to you. You do realize that a MAC is a completlty different platform both in terms of hardware and software than a PC. When we say PC what we are really refering to is the X86 platform which is a Clone of the IBM Personal PC and based around an Intel/AMD/VIA chipset to make it worse most people typically refer to this hardware runing some varient of the Windows 9x/ME E J ECT , NT, 2K, XP home E J ECT, XP Pro E J Ect, ECT( Windows is actually very galvanized despite Microsofts claims that it isnt for example programs that run on 98SE J may not run on 98SE E and futher may not run on XP E or XP J) OSes. The hardware is supose to be compatible with each other however as Microsoft isn't always all that forthcoming with thier APIs and in the past has given preferential treatment such as more disclosure to certain OEMs in exchange for "favors" like having the CEO testify for the company or not suporting competing products ... some hardware works better while some may not work at all.

The MAC is a very seperate and incompatible to the PC piece of hardware based around the Moterolla chip with the hardware mostly produced or tightly controlled by Apple. It runs the MAC OS and if moded corectly can run some *nixes and the Commodore OSes (Amiga) which were based off of a Moterolla clone. The Mac, if suplied with an aditional piece of hardware can run PC software. MAC OSX is actually based around a UNIX varient while the prior OSes where based around Apple's work.

Anytime you write a program for one platform it has to be ported and compiled on the other Platform. You do not need Flash for MAC create Macintosh projectors but the projectors created on the PC but do need to be compiled on the Macintosh Platform. The output from the PC for Macintosh is either SWF or HQX. HQX files are HexBin files and are really text based files which contain no binary data. The HQX file must be read and compiled on a MAC before it becomes a Binary and thus an aplication. You do need a MAC along with an aplication that reads and compiles HQX such as StuffIt in order to create MAC projectors but you do not need Flash for MAC to do this. Each platform has its own SWF Player that is native to its own Platform. Macromedia is quite liberal by allowing almost anyone who wishes to Port the Flash Player to their own OS to do so. That is why their is a Flash Player for Amiga, almost all *Nixes, and Nearly ever alternate OS on the market on top of the MAC and Windows Players produced by MM.

The PC Projectors which are more suitably called Windows 9X/ME, NT, 2K, XP projectors as they don't run on DOS, Windows 3.X or earlier, any *Nix, or any other alternate to the Windows OS. They do play on most versions of WIndows although on the PC the projectors do not consitantly play back at the same speed between different OEMs and different levels of CPU speeds, Memory, ECT. Also the projectors created with earlier versions of Flash inconsitantly suppotrted features across the varying Windows OSes. Also previously to SWF format 6 (MX) SWFs and Projectors did not always support all the languages consitantly. However when it is all said and done the PC projector does perform quite well across the Windows variants.

Wow johnie, I love when you try to straighten things down with one of yours in-depth explications ... I (being far away from a pro) start reading them, half way through I realize I have to start again to get it completely... Not all mods are so generous with words, so keep up, I love these mini-theorical-lessons-for-newbies...

Anyway, don't worry, nothing from the first two posts was taken personaly. I just wanted to point out that there is a way to make cross platform CD with Flash projector on PC, and that it worked perfectly for me on various little projects I did so far. If I were a professional designer/developper I would for sure have a Mac too, but since that's not (yet) the case, I spent some time to find the workaround, and hey, it works! MacImage, program I use on PC to make image file to burn on CD takes care of decoding .hqx Mac projector, and once burned it works without problems on every Mac I tested it on... I am not especialy lucky person so I guess it may work for others too. That's why I wrote the 'Flash Projectors and Burning CDs FAQ Sheet', so people like me who are just starting can have reference of free/cheap solutions if they have to do things the hard way.

BTW, the "second edition" is on, and for those whose anti virus progs don't like ".php3?zip" things, I uploaded it in plain .htm:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/didinomade/...BurningFAQ.htm

Cheers,

DD

PS: I'd appreciate greatly any comment/correction/another "mini-theorical-lessons-for-newbies"... from you, johnie

Originally posted by DD666
    Wow johnie, I love when you try to straighten things down with one of yours in-depth explications ... I (being far away from a pro) start reading them, half way through I realize I have to start again to get it completely... Not all mods are so generous with words, so keep up, I love these mini-theorical-lessons-for-newbies...

Anyway, don't worry, nothing from the first two posts was taken personaly. I just wanted to point out that there is a way to make cross platform CD with Flash projector on PC, and that it worked perfectly for me on various little projects I did so far. If I were a professional designer/developper I would for sure have a Mac too, but since that's not (yet) the case, I spent some time to find the workaround, and hey, it works! MacImage, program I use on PC to make image file to burn on CD takes care of decoding .hqx Mac projector, and once burned it works without problems on every Mac I tested it on... I am not especialy lucky person so I guess it may work for others too. That's why I wrote the 'Flash Projectors and Burning CDs FAQ Sheet', so people like me who are just starting can have reference of free/cheap solutions if they have to do things the hard way.

BTW, the "second edition" is on, and for those whose anti virus progs don't like ".php3?zip" things, I uploaded it in plain .htm:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/didinomade/...BurningFAQ.htm

Cheers,

DD

PS: I'd appreciate greatly any comment/correction/another "mini-theorical-lessons-for-newbies"... from you, johnie

It was pointed to MMillers comment about MM Sticking it to us- they are not...

Yeah burning with MAC Image does work for some people but not all. A few people have been having problems with it. Plus you would still want a MAC to test it. Some places will sell you MAC time for this.

Also writting an applescript on a PC is near impossible. while on a MAC you can just turn on the applescript recorder and the script editor is included on every MAC.

Originally posted by johnie
    It was pointed to MMillers comment about MM Sticking it to us- they are not...
    Upss... Got that one wrong... Sorry for being so self-centered...
    Yeah burning with MAC Image does work for some people but not all. A few people have been having problems with it. Plus you would still want a MAC to test it. Some places will sell you MAC time for this.
    Maybe US, but here (Barcelona, Spain) it's near to impossible... There's only one Mac reseller in the whole city... All you can do is rely on goodwill friend...

DD

I didn't think about that.

In the US places like Kinkos will sell you Mac time. A Kinkos is in alsmost every city. Also you can take a trivial course, such as a Phys-Ed course that involves exercising at your own leisere almost all Comunity Colleges offer such, and Audit it at a University or Com College here which would give you a student ID and access to their Public Computer Labs (Almost always they have a MAC or two open to the Public), Library, and other services for about 4 months for $20-$60- Most people don't realize this. Some institutions will even toss in other services such as reduced or free health care, Job Placement (If you ever want to find a new Job), ECT to students and don't withold those services to part-time students. I don't know if the same is true in Spain.

The price of MACs have also ben coming down. You can get a used one for around $350-$500 and a new entry level IMAC is $799. If you will be doing a lot of Hybird projects purchasing either a used or entry level IMac may be in your best interest.

hey dd! you're posting FAQ on cd burning rocked...if any of you guys haven't seen it here it is http://www.actionscripts.org/forums/...threadid=14844 . one more thing i found out while testing my cd on a mac...is if you're stand alone cd was created using Macromedia Flash MX,it requires CarbonLib 1.5 or later to run on Mac OS 9.x (the CarbonLib functionality is built into OS X so nothing additional is required for that OS). read more here http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...arbon_lib.htm. a restart is also required after installation of carbonlib. thanks for everyones help, it's been fun...and frustrating.

In the US places like Kinkos will sell you Mac time. A Kinkos is in alsmost every city. Also you can take a trivial course, such as a Phys-Ed course that involves exercising at your own leisere almost all Comunity Colleges offer such, and Audit it at a University or Com College here which would give you a student ID and access to their Public Computer Labs (Almost always they have a MAC or two open to the Public), Library, and other services for about 4 months for $20-$60- Most people don't realize this. Some institutions will even toss in other services such as reduced or free health care, Job Placement (If you ever want to find a new Job), ECT to students and don't withold those services to part-time students. I don't know if the same is true in Spain.
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I am not Spanish, but I've been living here for almost 5 years now, and if you count 7 passed in Italy before that, I think I know the situation in south Europe pretty well. At the Uni where I started my PhD two years ago, we do have computer labs, but you have to reserve place at 8 am just to get half hour in the afternoon to check you mail or do some web research (no scaners, cd burners... available in student labs - and yes, I remember seeing Mac somewhere around, but my guess is it was 10 years old), some time ago I had to quarell with the library worker because he didn't want to let me take CD that went with a book I was borrowing, and I heard from the colleague that some Master students had to pay extra deposit (apart from normal fee which is everything but cheap) just to be able to access university library, and so on... And we are not talking some provincial college here, this is one of biggest Universities in Spain, so I can just imagine the rest. Don't get me wrong, these are very good level universities, but at technical equipment and student services, they realy suck comparing to what you have there.

The price of MACs have also ben coming down. You can get a used one for around $350-$500 and a new entry level IMAC is $799. If you will be doing a lot of Hybird projects purchasing either a used or entry level IMac may be in your best interest.
    I don't know about used ones, but I just checked the site of that only Mac reseller in town: entry level iMac is 1555 euros, which is exactly twice what it costs in US, while last september I got my brand new PC for less then 800 (I know it's not comparable - but on the paper, in memory issues and perifierics, it is even stronger than this iMac). And when you add software facilities for PC - choice is easy... I am not pro PC/anti Mac, I realy hate those discussions which one is better, and I would realy love to have Mac as well, but for some of us, it is PC or nothing, as simply as that... So for now I will embrace every solution that will let me overcome this platform incompatibilities - hey, they are not perfect, will try to do best with what is there...

Cheers,

DD

Originally posted by madcanvas hey dd! you're posting FAQ on cd burning rocked...if any of you guys haven't seen it here it is http://www.actionscripts.org/forums/...threadid=14844.
    Thanks for the support madcanvas, I realy appreciate it...
    one more thing i found out while testing my cd on a mac...is if you're stand alone cd was created using Macromedia Flash MX,it requires CarbonLib 1.5 or later to run on Mac OS 9.x (the CarbonLib functionality is built into OS X so nothing additional is required for that OS).
    Thanks for the info - good to know... Will add it in the next "edition"

DD

Originally posted by DD666
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I am not Spanish, but I've been living here for almost 5 years now, and if you count 7 passed in Italy before that, I think I know the situation in south Europe pretty well. At the Uni where I started my PhD two years ago, we do have computer labs, but you have to reserve place at 8 am just to get half hour in the afternoon to check you mail or do some web research (no scaners, cd burners... available in student labs - and yes, I remember seeing Mac somewhere around, but my guess is it was 10 years old), some time ago I had to quarell with the library worker because he didn't want to let me take CD that went with a book I was borrowing, and I heard from the colleague that some Master students had to pay extra deposit (apart from normal fee which is everything but cheap) just to be able to access university library, and so on... And we are not talking some provincial college here, this is one of biggest Universities in Spain, so I can just imagine the rest. Don't get me wrong, these are very good level universities, but at technical equipment and student services, they realy suck comparing to what you have there.

I don't know about used ones, but I just checked the site of that only Mac reseller in town: entry level iMac is 1555 euros, which is exactly twice what it costs in US, while last september I got my brand new PC for less then 800 (I know it's not comparable - but on the paper, in memory issues and perifierics, it is even stronger than this iMac). And when you add software facilities for PC - choice is easy... I am not pro PC/anti Mac, I realy hate those discussions which one is better, and I would realy love to have Mac as well, but for some of us, it is PC or nothing, as simply as that... So for now I will embrace every solution that will let me overcome this platform incompatibilities - hey, they are not perfect, will try to do best with what is there...

Cheers,

DD

That's interesting to know as Ebay sells them for about $350-$500 used for the lower end ones and apple sells them directly from the apple store for $799 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...3.1.1.0?224,48

Also you can get a Non-Windows loaded PC for as little as $199 here in the states. http://www.walmart.com sells them for $299. A Windows one costs as little as $387 (What Best BUY was selling them for in store last week) and includes the Monitor. So yes, a cheap PC is cheaper than a low end IMAC even here however the qulaity of the machine may be in question.

I wonder how they prevent people from purchasing them in the states and then shipping them out?

I'm sorry to hear the University system in Europe offers drastically less services than the US system. I've lived in three areas of the States and all of them had Comunity Collegs with several MAC labs and only charged $30-$50 per credit with a nominal amount going to fees. Everyone I went to had MAC labs and allowed students to use them pretty much unrestricted as long as they had an ID. They also allow people to enroll as a special interest student- meaning you are not working towards a degree. All of them also gave student IDs and unrestricted services to all clasifications of students. To top it off they also allowed alumni regardless if they graduate or not to purchase an alumni card allowing them student services for $10-$20. SOme also serve the communities by opening their libraries for as little as $5. They also allow continuing education and special interst students to use the student services- they are very generious. My Local Comunity College sends me a catalog every year with continuing eduction services. I can take basket weaving or pick up a computer class or two if I so desire for a very nominal fee - it usually runs $130 per computer class, 20 per Art Class, $25 per phys ed class, ECT through them.

The Universitys only charge $130-$170 per undergrad credit, allowing graduate students to Audit undergrad classes, for the state run schools with some minor student fees. It was a simular situation as the Comunity Colleges. They didn't deny the part time students access to the services. The Drive Through MBA program (There are a lot of these in the sates offered through traditional and Non Traditional schools) , that's what I called it they were set up in a small office building with 3 classrooms and what apeared to be a janitors closet with computer equipment plus they took almost any student who had the cash- it was $320 per credit, I attended even had a MAC and allowed the students to use it pretty much unrestricted.

Kinkos also sells time here in the states.

I wonder how they prevent people from purchasing them in the states and then shipping them out?
    Never had an opportunity to try it, but I guess you would have big problems at customs... Maybe one could get away with smuggling laptop, but nothing bigger.
    I'm sorry to hear the University system in Europe offers drastically less services than the US system. I've lived in three areas of the States and all of them had Comunity Collegs with several MAC labs and only charged $30-$50 per credit with a nominal amount going to fees. Everyone I went to had MAC labs and allowed students to use them pretty much unrestricted as long as they had an ID. They also allow people to enroll as a special interest student- meaning you are not working towards a degree. All of them also gave student IDs and unrestricted services to all clasifications of students. To top it off they also allowed alumni regardless if they graduate or not to purchase an alumni card allowing them student services for $10-$20. SOme also serve the communities by opening their libraries for as little as $5. They also allow continuing education and special interst students to use the student services- they are very generious. My Local Comunity College sends me a catalog every year with continuing eduction services. I can take basket weaving or pick up a computer class or two if I so desire for a very nominal fee - it usually runs $130 per computer class, 20 per Art Class, $25 per phys ed class, ECT through them. The Universitys only charge $130-$170 per undergrad credit, allowing graduate students to Audit undergrad classes, for the state run schools with some minor student fees. It was a simular situation as the Comunity Colleges. They didn't deny the part time students access to the services. The Drive Through MBA program (There are a lot of these in the sates offered through traditional and Non Traditional schools), that's what I called it they were set up in a small office building with 3 classrooms and what apeared to be a janitors closet with computer equipment plus they took almost any student who had the cash- it was $320 per credit, I attended even had a MAC and allowed the students to use it pretty much unrestricted.
    Nice fairytale... Maybe one day, in (I hope) not so far future...

Johnnie

The reason I thought Macromedia was sticking it to me is this: I was recently developing a multimedia cd in Director on a mac. When it came time to produce the projectors for both platforms I had to spring for Director for PC at an additional cost of $1,200+. A lot of money to just create the PC projector. Unless you know of another way to do create a PC director file w/o the director app (and if you do I'm going to cry. ) I know wrong forum, back to Flash...

You wrote in your post about creating mac flash projectors w//o having the mac flash app. Is there a way to do this the other direction. I develop on the mac platform and would like to create PC projectors. Do I need the pc flash app?