A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 - a year later

It's soon a year since the bad day in New York. What are the changes? Do you life different since that day. What about the worldwide reactions against the terrorists?

I was just reading an article in a local newspaper and the reactions from peoples are very different, so I wanna here your thoughts about it.

Here's an email talk at that day I found at http://www.911digitalarchive.org
    Contributed by: Joanna
    Contributor's location on 9/11: San Francisco, California
    E-mail contributed on: August 20, 2002
    Description: Correspondence between a close friend on Long Island and myself (in San Francisco) the morning of 09/11. Then another email exchange a few days later. Notice all the misinformation that was spreading about that day.
    Date of e-mail: 09/11/01
    Subject line of e-mail: TERRORIST

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 7:45 AM
    To: Joanna
    Subject: TERRORIST

Did you guys hear what is going on over on the east coast? The twin towers (world trade center) is gone, planes are slamming into the pentagon, the white house has a fire in it. I think we are going to war.

----- Original Message -----
    To: 'Danielle'
    Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001
    Subject: RE: TERRORIST

Oh, girl, are you OK? I saw it on the news as I was getting ready for work. At first it looked like an accident, but as I was watching a second plane deliberately slammed into it. I just got to work and was told about all the other stuff. BE SAFE!!

Un-****ing-believable. Yes, they have basically evacuated downtown SF, and the airport is shut down. I just heard they are going to seek and destroy a plane that has been hijacked. Oh God, I don't believe it!! This is BAD.

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 8:17 AM
    Subject: Re: TERRORIST

Hi,

Everything is ok out on the Island so far. People are panicking, though. New York City is shut down. All the highways in and out of the city have been closed off. So no one can leave or enter. It's like a movie. Both twin towers are gone now.

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 8:30 AM
    Subject: Re: TERRORIST

they say a total of 8 planes have been highjacked and only 4 have crashed so -far. PLEASE be careful. And keep in touch. This is like a ****ing movie.

Oh my God!! Oh, No. This is just absolutely awful. Has anyone accepted responsibility yet? Please, you be careful too, Danielle.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001
    Subject: RE: PICTURES OF WTC

Hi Danielle,

How are you doing? I'm just devastated by all that has happened in the past week, and I can't imagine having been there as you are to witness these events first hand. I wish I COULD be there, to help in some way. I think most people are feeling the same frustration, wishing there was something to do to help. I plan to make a donation to the fund that has been set up to aid New Yorkers, and I am flying Old Glory as are many people around the country, but it still doesn't seem like enough. I pray that you and yours are safe and well. Jim and I were talking this weekend about planning a trip back there in the next few months, our idea being that we refuse to allow this kind of act to deter us from going somewhere, and besides, I always wanted to visit New York City. Please drop me a line when you get a chance to let me know if you are OK. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your fellow residents of New York.

All my Love,

Jo

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001
    Subject: Re: PICTURES OF WTC

Hey,

We are just fine here in Long Island. I have many friends that live and work in the City and all but one are ok. A friend of mine was one of the first NYC firemen to the WTC before the second building was hit. He is still among the missing.

I think all of us out here are still in shock. Right now our attention is not only on the rescue effort, but to help support anyone we know who lost family members. Almost everyone around here is affected in some way. There is an overwhelming need to help. The Red Cross has told us that they now have an ample blood supply for now, and the rescue workers are overloaded with food and drink. We have also been sending socks, underwear, boots, hard hats, gloves, soap and toothpaste because many rescuers are from out of town and need the basic toiletry items.

There has been a tremendous outpouring of support from all over the country as well as from other countries, and it really does help us. Right now we want to just do our jobs and be semi-normal again. All of our spirits are high, and we are trying to have some kind of fun because being down all the time is not good for the soul. For instance, I went to my friends house on Friday night and got totally bombed on mudslides!! It was so good to be silly and have a comic release!

Let me know when you want to come out. Christmas-time is beautiful in the City. Just remember, leave alot of time for check in at the airport.

Love.....Dan

Fredi

Like the picture. I think most of Flashkit wishes we yanks would forget about it. But since most of us are visual artists it's hard to forget the visual images of that day.

Señor member
    Originally posted by phacker
    Like the picture. I think most of Flashkit wishes we yanks would forget about it. But since most of us are visual artists it's hard to forget the visual images of that day.
    I don't wish they would forget about it as it's a tragic thing that happened, but what you must really remember is that while terrorism is a relatively new thing in the US, most other countries in the world have been experiencing the same sort of thing (terror attacks - not on this scale for individual attacks) and that's what makes it a little unpalletable for the rest of the world.

We're now expected to listen to all the axis of evil stuff because it's happened to the US.

Nothing will compensate for the massive loss of life but when it comes down to it, Northern Ireland has been exposed to terrorist attacks for many years, Sri Lanka, Spain, Germany, South Africa et al have been suffering for many years but only since the US has been attacked has there been a (US) call for it to be crushed.

Jamble, I understand totally. I don't buy into the axis of evil thing either. And my first question when President Bush mentioned the "War Against Terrorism" was: please define terrorism. I am Irish American, and no way do I want America getting involved with the IRA...and even more than that...I don't believe America needs to involve itself with anyone elses' problems. I understand where the rest of the world is coming from, but this tragedy is something as artists I think most of us feel compelled to commemorate. I realize the rest of the world has dealt with terroistic tactics for a long time, America has been lucky, up until last year. So I hope when we American's try to share something you are not too hard on us. Most of us understand that you have put up with horrible things for a long time, and we don't want that for anyone. My wish is--Peace and Prosperity for everyone. Pax.

Flashkit's offical necromaster EXILED ARCHANGEL's Avatar
    this is just one of those things that will be remembered 500 years from now and tought in history classes. That is if we dont kill each other with wmd's(weapons of mass destruction) first

Originally posted by phacker
    I don't think that's true at all, subway is from switzerland for a start, the only think we wish to avoid on flashkit, from anyone, is insults and attacks or petty bickering, other than that people are welcome to post anything, visual or not.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I understand and sympathise with anyone touched by the events, but what I'm really not looking forward to is TV programs wringing the last possible drop of 'tear-jerk' journalism (I use the word journalism loosly here), until the world is so collectively sick of each drawn-out hour of emotion, you can't stand to look anymore.

I've seen it done with just about every other tragedy that has befallen the US. I just wish the networks'd have the decency to leave this one in peace, ratings be damned.

It'll never happen.

(that picture is excellent, btw Subway)

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I understand and sympathise with anyone touched by the events, but what I'm really not looking forward to is TV programs wringing the last possible drop of 'tear-jerk' journalism (I use the word journalism loosly here), until the world is so collectively sick of each drawn-out hour of emotion, you can't stand to look anymore.

I've seen it done with just about every other tragedy that has befallen the US. I just wish the networks'd have the decency to leave this one in peace, ratings be damned.

It'll never happen.

(that picture is excellent, btw Subway)
    I agree, I hate that kind of media attention to a subject like this, it ends up diluting everything and creating this almost fictional aura around the event.

I was reading an article yesterday about what they're going to be selling in new york when all these videos and books flood the market. Most retailers were adamant they wouldn't be selling anything that sensationalised the event, and some were even saying they wouldn't sell anything with pictures of the wounded.

We saw a lot of pictures like that in the aftermath, people jumping from the towers etc, but my friend in manhatten told me that the media in NYC stayed away from those images. I wish they all had.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I'm glad at least some local media outlets had the decency to avoid the grizzly ratings grabbing policies that seem to be prevalent these days.

A cynic might say that they, the local media, would avoid offending the local citizenry to avoid long-term ratings disasters through viewer boycotts, but in this case, I think that humanity actually won the day over the almighty buck.

Originally posted by aversion
    We saw a lot of pictures like that in the aftermath, people jumping from the towers etc, but my friend in manhatten told me that the media in NYC stayed away from those images. I wish they all had.
    I agree that too much is too much, and some of it was carried on just too long. I can also certainly understand the reasoning of not showing some things in the local area. But those horror pictures and videos we all saw are a necessary evil with something like this to portray it's realism. News wouldn't be much news if it didn't show the ugly sides of things. Most here complain the media is already biased and not giving us the whole picture as-is, I'm really surprised to see suggestions they omit even more?

I recall that day vividly, watching all the footage of the actual plane crashes, the towers collapsing, the people jumping, the people on the ground getting pelted with debris. The raw and graphic footage is what really makes it sink in of how horrible and tragic this was to someone watching from across the country or across the world. Just seeing the towers go down, it was rather surreal and movie-like, and it would be difficult to even share a slight fraction of what they were feeling in Manhattan without some of those very graphic images. You don't like seeing those pictures? Awww..think of what the people IN those pictures were feeling.

No one wants to see images like that. No one wanted to see any of it happen to begin with either. But it happened, and to not show what happened is a disservice to us all.

I may have misinterpreted Aversion's comments, not sure...but anyways, back on topic, I hope too, that the anniversary is nothing more than perhaps a short memorial for the sake of the victims and their families, and not reliving the entire event.

To get back to the original subject. . .

I don't live my life differently...at least I don't think I do. I certainly provides a very different past to think about.

I don't think about 9/11 everyday...but it has affected me to the extent that it is one of the few things in your past that stick out...and give you perspective for where you are and where you've been.

I...as I'd think most others do..remember exactly the time and place I heard the first plane hit. I also remember watching the second tower collapse between classes at the local college. It was unreal...I knew that people had died...many, but I couldn't really take it in and realize exactly what had happened. I just felt weirdly excited...and wanted to watch the news whenever possible.

It eventually sunk in though...the depression, knowing 3,000 innocent people were killed, many in acts of insurpssable heroism. It was so sad..

I think that 9/11 was a wake up call..terrorism must be taken seriously. The previous administration (without getting into politics) had been lax as far as dealing with terrorist attacks...and there were many. (U.S.S. Cole, embassy bombings, those towers...don't remember name). I think that inadvertantly we gave the impression to terrorists that we were soft...that we wouldn't retaliate. I think 9/11 has shown us that every attack must be taken seriously..and must have consequences.

A good analogy is wal-mart. Walmart is sued more than any company in the world every day, but they refuse to settly any of the cases out of court...they challenge everyone. They are steadfast in this, they don't want anyone to think that they can get easy money off of their company by suing.

We learned this lesson too.

As far as worldwide, I can't say. I think that there was amazing support in those first few months of trouble. The world wide community reached out in an awesome way (except for that prince that said "it's your fault, here's 10 million" ).

I think everyone realizes..for those who didn't, that the US...and other countries must take terrorism seriously. I think that there is also quite a bit of dissagreement on what steps should be taken to prevent terrorims worldwide.

That's my highly philosophical look on this...you asked for it.

Now please guys, can we have one discussion on this without bringing in politics?

Originally posted by KLTdesigns5869
    I may have misinterpreted Aversion's comments, not sure...but anyways, back on topic, I hope too, that the anniversary is nothing more than perhaps a short memorial for the sake of the victims and their families, and not reliving the entire event.
    no you didn't but maybe I didn't make something clear. I agree that showing these images, not censoring them, was a good way for people to realise the full horror of this event but what I am disappointed in is the way these images have been used over and over and over again without genuine reason in the last 10 months.

As you, and just about everyone else, said after the event, it was like a movie and that's what I'm worried this over-saturation of these images will do. They lose their impact seen so far from the context so often, people cease to look at them as real, they become media icons of the event rather than being real lives.

Maybe I'm unduely worried, but there's a fine line between exploitation and documentary.

I agree with that.

I was unsure what you meant by "aftermath"...that night, that week, this year...

Thanks for the clarification.

As you, and just about everyone else, said after the event, it was like a movie and that's what I'm worried this over-saturation of these images will do. They lose their impact seen so far from the context so often, people cease to look at them as real, they become media icons of the event rather than being real lives.

I agree...I've chosen not to absorb myself into the images. One thing about american culture is they get idea and twist it for all its worth until it is meaningless. Same with the increased patriotism after 9/11...a wondeful thing but I'm fed up seeing it commericials for household products.

They ruin a good idea by feeding it to us by the bucketfull endlessly.

Anyway, good point...

Clif

Originally posted by clifgriffin
    increased patriotism after 9/11...a wondeful thing but I'm fed up seeing it commericials for household products.
    haha! that's actually horrible!! That's definitely when you know it's gone too far.

*announcer voice*
    The Patriot's Toilet Cleanser is the the brand of choice for patriots! Your friends will marvel at the 3 color design. How can you beat its red handle with white and blue bristles that leave your toilet sparkling clean...everytime. Buy the Patriot's Toilet Cleanser today!
    */av*

The other thing that really got annoying was all of those "forwards"...

Tell Everyone You Know! Important!!!

Tommorow morning, Friday, at 8:34 will be exactly 78 days 33 minutes and 43 seconds after the first plane hit the WTC towers. Please go out in to your yard and hold up 2 candles...one for each of the towers. While you stand there, start singing "Fool's Overture" at 8:36. Please do this! The love that surrounds the world at this moment will change us all...send this to everyone you know!
    As you can see...this stuff ticks me off.

Nothing ruins a good thing like overuse and exploitation.

Clif

I was at the online trading center of UBS at that day. It's the place where over 80 % of the stock market of Switzerland happens. On every second monitor was the live feed of CNN. I think they had a very low trading that day. There where a lot of peoples from the USA working there, so it was a bit like I was in the US. I can remember a lot of those talks, phonecalls to the state and the evacuating of an other UBS building in Germany.

For me as a designer, I can remember a lot of that pictures by closing my eyes, and it's not like in a movie cause it's a real life situation with all the real life feelings to it.

About the terrorists. I don't think we will ever stop them as long we have a two class society. And with the current rate the worlds population grows, it's hardly impossible to change this.

Fredi

Hmmm... before too many others make mention of how the US shouldn't be "soft" on terrorism, maybe you should think about delving deeper into the reasons that humans resort to such violence. There's usually an underlying cause you will find....

Work out a solution to that cause rather than fight violence with violence, and then our humanity may actually move forward...

That's the thing I would hope is learnt from Sep 11... though I wonder if our society is capable of it...

I wish that too FlashDavo , unfortunately it is worse- violence begets violence and the horrible cycle continues. And apparantly many people continue to believe these things happen because others are jealous of our Bill of Rights or our freedom or some other such nonsense.

I hope that the anniversary comes and goes peacefully for people everywhere.
    and that we never see anything else like it again

We are forgetting the topic at hand so I'll just reiterate the Question :
    It's soon a year since the bad day in New York. What are the changes? Do you life different since that day. What about the worldwide reactions against the terrorists?
    There are a lot of global changes taking place, but sadly it still seems to be in a Governments best interests and not to avoid future attacks.

In Zimbabwe for example, white farmers who have lived there for decades are being massacred by General Mugabe's ruthless regime. Does the British Government step in (I mean really do something about it)? NO!
    What if there were huge oil reserves in Zimbabwe like there is in Iraq, do you think they will step in then? Hell yeah they would!

On a more personally level, the attacks haven't affected me in the slightest. I felt great sorrow for those that died as well as anger against the purpertrators but I didn't change my way of life. Ofcourse, alot of people in the USA aren't used to 24 hour violence.

Like Jamble said above, in countries such as Northern Ireland (where I live), terrorism is a daily occurance. We have sort of got this culture over here where violence is entertainment. You just have to look down the road outside my home when a nationalist parade is on and you can see the riots and burnt out cars lying on the road. And people still run out and join in for "a laugh". I do it too but I don't put myself on the same level as those who kill thousands of innocent people because of their twisted ideas.

The only thing that I'm worried about at all is if terrorists get their hands on a nuclear device. They WILL use it