A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I make a login/pass screen?

I need to password a menu in Flash. I just need a login/pass screen that leads to a menu. I took Computer Apps 1 & 2 (courses at a trade school) and did it in there, but I had a big fat book to refer to. I don't remember how I did it. Can anyone please guide me through the right steps into making this? Thank you VERY much in advance.

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Utili...3807/index.php
    ============
    or click on movies then look in utilities

Bad News

I went through a tutorial instead and everything went great. But when I put the .swf on the web, I couldn't get in even when I did type the right password. It works in Flash, but not when i import it into Dreamweaver. help please!

within your flash movie you specify the location of the xml. for example if your swf is located at: http://www.mydomain.com/movie.swf. then in your dreamweaver file you have that as the address or location for your swf. however you swf is looking for the xml file which is located at passwords.xml, instead change that path to the full path of it http://www.mydomain.com/password.xml and see if that works. GOOD LUCK

Actually, I fixed it by embedding the font (in the input box i made) in Flash.

Hopefully my last problem:

Anyone can skip the password part by right-clicking on the .swf and fast forwarding until they get to the menu. How can I disable the right-click stuff?

Thanks

You could add a keyframe after the first 1. (logon screen) which will take u back a frame.

Go to and play frame 1
    and so it will just loop
    then just tell the button to goto frame 3 or summic if the password is correct.

If u know wot i mean

disable the zoom in/out....

i want to know how too.

file > publish settings then click on the html tab and deselect the show menu checkbox.

catbert303 has made a good point, however there is something more to know about that way. It is that your veiwer may go to view source and be able to see exactly where your swf is and then if they see the exact name and location of your swf file and go to it directly they will have all of the controls to fastforward and play and be able to get to the password protected area of your site. Therefore i would go with the creating a frame action directly after your login frame which has a goto frame one option!

Also you can go to your temporary internet files and find the swf file then open in notepad or some simliar text editor and any passwords that have been hardcoded into the movie will be visible (all the variables and variable names will be in there). Flash isn't the best thing for creating anything that needs to be secure