A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: magazine cover

waddaya reckon of this magazine cover??? its only a mock up, not the real deal. i reckon the background could have been better. it was in a competition. i think i got 3rd.

this was mine
    http://nerdinside.d2g.com/jcsco0/cover.jpg

this was first prize
    http://powerfx.8m.com/cgi-bin/framed...zine_Cover.jpg

what do you people reckon?

lol, i sure hope you're not serious about that 1st place getter. It's not a magazine cover, let alone good looking.

FK Design Mafia
    Have they taken something off the 1st prize winner since they chose? There's no information!

No joke. That First prize link really is first prize.

Yours looks quite good. I like the background, I know how much effort would have gone into it, but the 1st prize entry?
    Its awful... I`d say 10 minutes work in PS, well, maybe 15 minutes

What I think ?
    The first prize is a real joke really .... can't find the words.
    Yours is not bad at all very computerarts style.

Thanks everybody. I really dont know what the judging criteria was apart from the fact that it was to be a magazine cover (based on anything). If you all liked my magazine cover, as a bunch of designers, or people who appreciate design, do you think that perhaps this competition was ill judged?

Definitely.
    As we are talking about judges, look at those silly judges who selected the website of my fuc**d up country as being the best.
    http://www.servihoo.com/channel/cult...neswebsdor.php
    I'm proud to be a webdesigner but it's a shame to be a mauritian webdesigner
    This is no joke the only mistake I did was to take part in the most stupid contest on earth.

Originally posted by njproduction
    Definitely.
    As we are talking about judges, look at those silly judges who selected the website of my fuc**d up country as being the best.
    http://www.servihoo.com/channel/cult...neswebsdor.php
    I'm proud to be a webdesigner but it's a shame to be a mauritian webdesigner
    This is no joke the only mistake I did was to take part in the most stupid contest on earth.
    Jeeze! What do judges think sometimes???

family or a payoff

Hi, i didnt like the fonts used on yours but i am gob smacked by the winner (mb its was his brother, or girlfriend) or mb he has loads of money and put some in a little brown envelope.....

bp

maybe 1st place was an easy blonde

(lol, i just KNOW i'm going to get my arse kicked for saying that)

Black_phoenix: gob smacked? Or were you being sarcastic?

redact207: I actually know the person who made that magazine cover. He not she. Black hair not blonde. And if he found out who you were, you WOULD get yer arse kicked!

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I think the first place cover is attrocious.
    Your cover is a good foundation, not bad for your first one.
    Contests, are judged by critics. Critics are usually just that because they cant do it themselves..

maybe the problem with yours is that it looks like every other magazine cover... it lacks originality....

but the winner's cover....it is damn awfull

Originally posted by jcsco0
    redact207: I actually know the person who made that magazine cover. He not she. Black hair not blonde. And if he found out who you were, you WOULD get yer arse kicked!
    In that case, I hope he can fight better than he can build magazine covers

steady on guys, the post was for feedback

one thing i might add, all we see is personal taste to a degree eg shes nice hes ugly....

i suppose the same feelings relate to paintings images etc
    we will never all like the same images or colours

bp

Originally posted by argonauta
    maybe the problem with yours is that it looks like every other magazine cover... it lacks originality....
    That is what i was thinking. I conformed to the futuristic magazine cover craze. It was a tried and tested format and i thought i should roll with it. Perhaps the end of that craze is near?

dude, I know how you feel...and so I feel I've got some 'background' to where I'm coming from when I say: be a humble man and take it on the chin.
    I once did something similar to what you did, another competition, but a wallpaper...I spent a good week designing six or eight designs, all of which I submitted...a good many hours spent in Photoshop and 3ds max. I thought I should have won, second if anything...but guess what? yeah, I lost...lost to a design that in my opinion didn't fit the brief, didn't reflect anything to do with the given theme, and looked like a photo that was altered a bit in Photoshop. Disappointed wasn't the emotion that I felt, I was engraged...angered sooo bad...but there was nothing I could do.
    I tend to look at it like this: if I got rejected once, I'll get rejected again, but I'll keep that in mind...and one day...one day when I DO make it, I'll have a big laugh.
    my mate does that with rejection letters he gets back. He's an aspiring writer, and each time he gets a rejction letter from a publisher, instead of throwing it out and getting blind to drown his sorrows, he sticks it up on his wall. why? for inspiration, to keep going, and one day when he makes it in the big time and a good publisher publishes his books, he's gonna have THE biggest laugh ever and metaphorically rub it in the other publishers faces.
    You've obvioulsy got to take a pinch of salt with it and though you thought you should have won(and it IS a fine submission I might add), there'll be other times, BETTER things WILL come along and then you'll be able to smile...laugh even.

ANyway, that's enough ranting for me. Keep doing what you because you LIKE doing it, don't do it because you want to win...if you do that, then graphic design or whatever you do looses its meaning. Remeber that

chewman2k: Sound advice. Very much appreciated.

Keep doing what you because you LIKE doing it, don't do it because you want to win...if you do that, then graphic design or whatever you do looses its meaning.
    Inspirational stuff that.