A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Floating Flash Animation On A WebPage

does anyone know how to make Flash animations overlap a page? Like how a lot of advertisers are doing now like when you go to a site? The animations sort of float over the static page.
    grazie:::idriss
    u can respond to me here or at idrissandco@aol.com or hotmail.com
    http://idriss3.tripod.com/

idriss... do you mean like the banner ad on macromedia's site for the event they have coming up? I was wondering the same thing... it runs all over that html page...

Here's how

First, you have to make the background of the flash movie transparent. Go to file - publish settings, and find the "window mode" option box. Set it to transparent windowless, and you've got yourself a transparent background.

After that, just use CSS to put the flash movie on a layer above everything else on your page, and voilia! You've got a flash movie that can crawl all over the page!

Hope that helps

MovieClip?

no no, the swf

Not a movie clip, the whole flash file. The objective is to get the .swf to have a transparent background, like a transparent gif and then place it on top of the html page.
    After that, you can do whatever you want in your flash file. I you wanna use movie clips, go ahead.

idriss... do you mean like the banner ad on macromedia's site for the event they have coming up? I was wondering the same thing... it runs all over that html page...

Yeah, like I think it's at the Flash site, and the Flash animation is over the HTML page, I'm going to try what like scott sed about CSS like by using div layers or something I guess. If anyone else figures out another alternative kuz I can almost guarantee I'll have an issue with the CSS thing, feel free to post. ciao:::grazie:::idriss
    http://idriss3.tripod.com/

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    to do that effect you are using layers (DHTML).

Programs like Dreamweaver make it dead easy to create them. Do a search for DHTML and layers and you should find help. What you want to do is have your site and then a layer on top of it. In that layer is your transparent swf file.

*note: the transparency works only with IE so a Ani-Gif may be another better option for some.

Yeah, you use layers to do the webover effect. To do it,
    use CSS as below:

<div style="position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 5px; z-index: 99">**Flash object and embed tags go here**</div>

By giving the object a greater z-index it will be on a layer above the rest of the page. Use the position properties to modify where you want the flash animation to go...

i'm a confused moo. this didnt work:

<div style="position:absolute; top:300px; left:300px; z-index: 3;">
    <OBJECT classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
    WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=100%>
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="spinningQ.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=best> <PARAM NAME=wmode VALUE=transparent> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="spinningQ.swf" quality=best wmode=transparent bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=100% TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    </div>

i'm y won't it work? I guess u can try it and replace it with an swf of urs.