A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question about 3D industry

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    im doing accounting at the moment and GOOD GOD it's boring!!! im thinking about changing my career's possibility to 3D design/animation so i got some questions for some of u working in the industry...

wat's the prospect like working in this industry? good money? i don't really have the ambition to be filthy rich but i sure don't wanna be one of those struggling artist... and wat's sort of qualification is needed to get decent money?

any enlightenment is much appreciated... thanks...

There is definately good prospect within the 3D industry for determined and naturally skilled artists. 3D takes a long time to get up to an employable level, unless a company gives you a break and let's you join as an "apprentice". Most 3D houses have internships but it doesn't pay well at all initially.

Moving from accounting to 3D is a big jump. Don't do it if you just wanna do it for money. It is a cut-throat industry and most design houses want the best of the best. If you think you can compete and have the determination........ cool, go for it

I would say do it in the evenings when you have time and keep your accounting job. Have you even see a 3D application? You can mail me if you want: vaughan@afrihost.com

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    finally... a reply... yeay... hehehe...

yeah i been studying a bit about 3D in my spare time... mostly from tuts off the net... oh and im currently using an open source 3D apps called OpenFX... it lets u to work on a 3D model down to the nuts and bolts... probably as good as 3D Studio R3 or earlier version, just not as intuitive...

like i said before im not after the big money just as long as i can pay my bills and still have some left for savings and maybe a holiday or two hehehe...

im not gonna quit my day job just to do that but if i can get an internship, i wouldn't mind letting go of this one since if i can't make it there, i can always go back to accounting...

it's cutthroat business everywhere dude... i think i have the determination and the imaginations... i just need the skill to actually realise my imagination on 3D medium... i was thinking about taking evening class or something like that... i'll email you to pick your brain a bit more later... thanks Wancieho...

np

I need to start to get serious with 3d too. I'm going to need it for use with alot of dvd work at first. I'd like to use it for web and presentation work I'll be doing also. I've looked at Maya, 3DMAX and lightwave. I'm really not sure which to go with. I wont need to do anything as far as games goes also MAX and lightwave seem abit more versatile than maya.

Any pointers or pros and cons for these apps? I like the look of maya but cause of the amount of plug-ins I've come accross for max I'm leaning that way.

Later.

Flashkit's offical necromaster EXILED ARCHANGEL's Avatar
    If your really serious about 3d as a carreer you need proper training. I dont care if you could have made the entire shrek or ff movie in 5 min without a degree you not going anywhere. If you have already been to college there are good classes just for 3d apps. Gonomon(sp) for example is a great college for maya. but its only a 16 week course as opesed to a full college. You also must decide what aspect of 3d you want to be working in. games, fx, full movies etc.

Well for me its fx and maybe 3-5yrs when the whole industry may have changed :-) I'll be ready for full film. I'll be using it where I am now so employment isn't a major issue for me at the moment but the issue is more which app is better suited for fx?

Thanks.

xsi and maya are way above the competetion as far as fx

Sorry EXILED ARCHANGEL I have to disagree

I have been involved with a few different 3D houses and one of the most common things they require for a new recruit is to be artistic and to have a natural eye for animation. They would tens times rather take on a guy who has worked as a cell animator and has an understanding of animation then a guy who has studied for ten years and has no animation skills.

The industry is more after practical guys then technical guys. I know of guys who never even seen a 3D package get into a 3D company. The company was rather willing to have natural talent and then teach him the tools to make magic

To a degree it can benefit you to go on courses but this is just to get you up 2 speed in my opinion

A couple of courses I would recommend though is:
    Anatomy study
    Cell animation
    Art classes.
    These will be more benficial in the end. Learn the software package you wanna use(or the potential company uses) while you go on these courses.

Just my 20 cents

well of corse art classes are the way to go but that has nothing to do with what i was saying about what package is best for what

True about the different packages to a degree but I think it's up to the individual using it to unlock the true potential.

Shrek was made using XSI whereas Blizzard used Max4 for the Warcraft 3 cinematics and War3 had more intense effects then Shrek. At the end of the day it does come down to personal preference of which package to use. Some packages have stronger points then others but if you know how to use your tool you can achieve pretty much the same results across the board.

Max is more orientated to the gaming industry but it has been used in film(Lost in Space to name one). Lightwave, Softimage(XSI) and Maya tend to get used more in the film industry. Although ID software(Quake, and Doom3) have broken away from Max and are now using Maya.

If you can get your hands on the free versions of the different packages to try out, see what suits you best

hey exiled... I have a BFA (bachelor of fine arts) and all of my classes in anatomy, animation, human structure, expressive art, what not... they definitely added to my skillset.

btw, I also have a BS in computer science... so, I'm on both sides of the fence...

My first job was doing 3D animation in Japan, and honestly, I think I was hired not so much for my modelling skills - which honestly, I'm one of the slowest modellers on the planet - but moreso for the fact that I paid attention to detail, and was rather good at the subtle animations as well as other things.

places like Gnomon... they're great to go there for refreshers - god knows, I need one - and what not, but as the sole education you have? I don't really recommend that.

Package-wise? It's honestly up to the user. I've seen stuff done in low-level apps, say Infini-D in the case of Rustboy for instance, and all it takes is just time. Softimage/Maya don't necessarily mean a better look or animation.

I'm currently a Max user, but I was at first, a lightwave user on the Amiga's - my introduction to 3D - then Softimage on SGI's and then NT, for a brief period, I used Alias PowerAnimator, then over to 3D studio r4 on DOS... then finally up to kinetix's Max... now, 3ds max. I've still used other packages on the side... but I can honestly say that Max for the moment suits my style.

But, it's not the best. But... I've seen some guys make it do things I'd rather it do.

Back to the education... sure, knowing the package is great. But you know... what's gonna happen when that package dies out? I know a lot of PowerAnimator fanatics that only used that program, only went to the 2 year, or less schools, who are now back in school, getting the basics back.

Can't overlook the basics. Not one bit.

As far as the industry goes... I'd say a person that's able to learn multiple platforms, reduce his/her workload with scripting - MelScripts, MaxScripts, even writing their own walk cycles, and upwardly towards plug-ins - and also be able to transfer realistic animation based upon real-world physics and bodily anatomy, with a good sense of proportion/field depth, would be the ideal person.

It goes a long way beyond Softimage/Maya, or the software package you choose...

just my 2¢

Very nice post!
    I am overall a max user too gerbick but i do use xsi and maya for fx, well just now, and as far as basics id have to say max is just the tool I need for most of my jobs. Ive pretty much abandoned maya as Ive really grown to hate it. And xsi while I like it rarely works. Besides im an 800x600 user anyway

just my 1001¢

HI guys,

So far, i have been reading a lot regarding what the softwares.
    Personally, i'd recommand Maya - but again, Max is cool too. Like what most of the respondes in this post, it really depends on what type of the 3D indurstry you want to get into. (Game, Film, SFX, Image Stills, Designs...etc)
    Within the 3D industry, there are also different 'departments' - for example, there would be a team of people working as the "modelers" - and then another working on the animation, textures, environment, special effects..etc etc etc...
    Of course, that doesn't mean you only have to concentrate on just one technique. Its always a good idea to know everything...(kinda like, Jack of ALl trades -- yet, you need to be a master at thing though) -- combine everything you know --- and create a portfolio. Which will showcase your finest work.
    In the 3D (Entertainment/Design) Industry, your resume, work experiences, or certificates will not necessary help you to find a steady job. A "Portfolio" is what us designers have to prepare to show - when we submit our resume to a certain company.
    A portfolio is a collection of works - each one of the works should be approx. 10 - 30 seconds long. (Don't expect your 'possible' employee to sit in front of screen to watch a 2 hours full-length feature portfolio during a busy working day).
    So, if you are serious about getting into the industry, you gotta start out planning and producing works/projects that you can later include in your portfolio.

And yes, it does take time to really master a software. On top of that, you also have to develope your own unique sense of style (creativity) - so your work will not look like everyone else's.

Hrm, I'm actually thinking about getting myself into the Accounting field instead of the 3D industry. What do you suggest? =)

Good Luck!

-Moo the Cow

well what you say is true about diffrent jobs in the same company. What i Used to do is model in max and do post fx and animation in maya, but with the addition of c-studio and some fx plugs theres only a fre maya tools I miss. Besides most companys only use 1 package for modeling, animation etc. Then again there are alot of people going with dicreets flint flame fire and reactor for post editing and fx.