dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3dsmax importing questions!

OK... i know how to add textures to 3dsmax , i have a sphere and i add a texture of a basketball to it, clickin M than going to diffuse and adding it to the viewbox or whatever now i save it in a 3ds format , how come when i import it into swift3d the texture is gone? is there any workaround this or am i doing it wrong?

textures are not supported.

swift3d is a vector tool, no bitmap support.

Arrow

ugh... so now i have to go and buy PLASMA which costs $650 my god , why dont they implement textures in the next release of swift3d or something

erm. Plasma doesn't support textures on it's flash output. it does support textures via shockwave3D, which is not flash.

swift3d v3 and textures... that's a novel idea. maybe you should e-mail them about that...

so what can i use to put textures on a sphere and than use it?!?!?!?

read the top of page 85 in the Swift3D manual.

to quote... NOTE: Swift 3D does not support the import of gradients or textures, so please make sure that your artwork is gradient and texture-free before import.

so again. no textures. I hope that you did not buy Swift3D thinking that it did textures. no examples on the site has any...

anyway, take cares.

and for the record, Plasma does not support textured either. not in Flash *.swf export.

so hey gerbick , what software i use that EXPORTs the texture or is there a software i can use that goes around that?

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    there is no software to get around that.

another way to do it is to make a more detailed basketball model instead of just a sphere with texture.

couple of ways around it, pares. but, they involve raster, and not vector output; therefore, possibly bigger filesizes. oh, and add FlashMX in this list as well...

I would suggest using *.png's, which includes transparency, and render/export the frames out that way. You'll keep your texture that way. here is a good mention of how to do exactly that...

you could render out an animation, *.avi or else, and then import that into FlashMX which takes video like it's no problem.

since you are a max user, those are pretty easy workarounds...

hope that helps.