A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Image distortion, is there an answer??

Ok, I've been looking through these forums and the Macromedia ones and it seems a few people have this problem but I can't get any solution to work!

I've got a really simple .fla which includes .gifs in the different keyframes in buttons and it all looks fine when viewed within the Flash environment. When published however the images look all crappy.

I've tried breaking apart, placing the images in their own movies, loads of different publishing settings but nothing seems to work. Any ideas out there?

What a pile of crap.

I have seen this issue myself - it is particularly a problem when using patterns (for example a hirzontal stripe GIF pattern). What I have done in the past was either one of 2 things... (Now with Flash MX there is actually a 3rd thing to try which I have used a couple times) .

1. Convert your GIF to JPG (Highest Quality) using Fireworks or Photoshop or somthing similar. Then try it, depending on the image it will look nicer.

2. Is the Image very detailed, or is it something you could use trace on and get away with it?

3. Convert the image to JPG an use the dynamic JPG loading capability of Flash MX. This is actually a great way to go as I have an application that creates PDF417 bar codes and needed to load a fresh one for every file. I wrote a combo VB/Infran Viewer/Flash MX App that:
    - Used VB to gather Data and Generate a BMP (No JPG
    capabilities in VB.
    - Used Infran viewer to convert BMP to JPG
    - Used Flash MX (as an EXE) to create a printable form
    that imported the image and the data from VB
    (The barcode was actually readable - which says a lot
    because PDF417 barcodes need to be PERFECT or they do
    no work).

That's all I've got - hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by jalmeida
    I have seen this issue myself - it is particularly a problem when using patterns (for example a hirzontal stripe GIF pattern). What I have done in the past was either one of 2 things... (Now with Flash MX there is actually a 3rd thing to try which I have used a couple times) .

1. Convert your GIF to JPG (Highest Quality) using Fireworks or Photoshop or somthing similar. Then try it, depending on the image it will look nicer.

2. Is the Image very detailed, or is it something you could use trace on and get away with it?

3. Convert the image to JPG an use the dynamic JPG loading capability of Flash MX. This is actually a great way to go as I have an application that creates PDF417 bar codes and needed to load a fresh one for every file. I wrote a combo VB/Infran Viewer/Flash MX App that:
    capabilities in VB.
    no work).

I'm having a lot of trouble with this too.
    It looks great within the flash preview but the second I publish it my pics get all distorted.

All my images are already jpgs.
    If anyone has any ideas it would really help

I'm guessing this is the same problem I ran into a while back but without an example I can't be sure 100%. Nevertheless I believe only Flash 5 and MX have this image distortion issue, maybe MX 2004 as well but 8 onwards should not. Anyway its got something to do with the positioning of the image on the stage or what program you use to compress the jpeg or whether its been broken apart in Flash. All I can remember doing to solve the issue is to move the picture to a different position on the stage.

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Hi, for sure gifs in Flash are not the best thing.
    I would suggest png's over any other file type. One because of the quality and two because of pngs ability to use transparency.
    The initial file size of pngs is higher than jpeg and gif, but that is not a problem, becasue the pngs are exported from Flash with the quality that you choose. What you end up with on most occasions is a better looking image with a smaller file size.

Now, for the image degration problem. I cant guarantee this will work, but Flash has always had a problem with this.
    The old school way of fixing thisproblem is to convert each image to a graphic or movie clip symbol and then set the alpha to 99%.

Also, if you are tweening the image, start at alpha 1% and go to alpha 99%. Never 0% to 100%. This will also save on performace and at times will remove some choppiness from image tweens.

Hope it was a help.

3P

theres an easier way when u import the jpg on stage got to the library and press the properties of the jpg u imported then press allow smoothing and set to loseless png/jpeg

im using CS4 idk does it work in other flash's

Quote Originally Posted by jalmeida View Post

capabilities in VB.
    no work).

how to make it perfect