A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CDrom

I am creating an interactive CDrom interface in flash mx and trying to import these Camtasia tutorials I have.
    The files are .mov and are really clean but once they are imported into flash they lose a certain quality. Is there a way to link to an external video and have that file on the cd.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Camtasia does a really good job with screen captures. You can use Flash video with those files, but you really have to play with the settings, and it helps if you have a software with a lot more control over the video (like our Flix software).
    You can link to the .mov file externally. The end user must then have the Flash player and the Quicktime player.
    These are the linking instructions included in your Flash help file:
    1 Do one of the following:
    To link the video clip directly to the current Flash document, choose File > Import.
    To link the video clip to the library for the current Flash document, choose File > Import to Library.
    2 In the Import Video dialog box, select Link to External Video File.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

Thank you

Jonathan, Thank you for the advice. I had a question about flix. There are two things that I am actually trying to achieve (let me know if flix can help) 1. is to get the one minute Camtasia files which are roughly 12megs down in file size and avialable on the web in .mov much like the tutorials seen at VTC.com (I think those are streaming) 2. To create an interactive CD in which the full size tutorials can be viewed. either embeded or externally. I havent had much luck finding a program to author interactive CD's. Any suggestions?
    Thank you for your reply.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    1. Most likely, Flix can reduce your files and maintain acceptable quality.
    2. A lot of people are using Director for that. It's probably the most robust platform for interactive CDs. However, many of our customers (and other people that you can see posting on this board) are using Flash to create their interactive CDs. Especially Flash MX. Flix will handle only the video portion of the equation.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com