dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how long does it take you to design an interface?

ive just landed a job designing websites, just designing the interface for each page in photoshop or fireworks (no html involved). im required to design 3 different interfaces. the website i just did had 6 pages. To design 6 pages for 3 different interfaces took me about 20+ hours, i thought that was about right, i now find out that the company im doing the work for thinks its a 6 hour job?? so im only getting paid for 6 hours work, to me 6 hours seems crazy - who can design 3 complete interfaces in 6 hours?
    or is that normal - am i just slow? how long would it take any of you?

Thanks

stone.cold

Hi i suppose it depends on what it is

eg 2advanced would take me some time, but i have done a site in a day before x2

how long is piece of string ?

can u post a link or if its hush hush if so mail me the link at bp@klfclan.co.uk

if u are designing "quality pages" it will take longer, if they just want standard templates u just bang them out at speed

if mr x said can u do this in red, blue, yellow and green etc i would be laughing all the way 2 the bank (hue and saturation city)

do u work freelance for them ?

if u work fulltime they have to pay u fulltime rates, sounds a bit dodgy 2 me ?

u do get faster as u go on, but i would personally hate to mass produce sites one a day for the rest of my life

slave to the machine

mb thats me

let me know how u get on
    bp

Yea i am working freelance for them, just whenever they have work, they will pass some on to me, basically pay me $100 to design 3 interfaces, then get someone else to put my design into a website, probably pay them $100, then charge the job out at $3000, thats a pretty healthy profit. whos getting screwed over here?

the website is no 2advanced by any means! i wish i could be given the opportunity to produce stuff like that but when they budget me for 6 hours, they can shove a quality web site up there arse. the site isnt bad, but its nothing amazing either, but regardless of how crap, 6 hours to do 3 interfaces is pretty damn quick!

anyway when i get home ill email you some of the concepts.

out of curiousity, do u mass produce websites day to day?

stone.

Originally posted by stone.cold.steve.austin

out of curiousity, do u mass produce websites day to day?
    Hi no i could nt do it, technically i could, but i like doing varied work, print work, flash, web design, 3d and illustration stuff

nice to have a change from day 2 day
    bp

Get to know photoshop inside out..treat it like a friend and then you will achieve more in less time.