A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help to load a 66 meg (!!!) QT file to flash

I know this file is insanely huge. If anyone has any suggestions how I can lower the file size and still keep a good deal of the quality, I'm willing to listen.

In the meantime I've jacked Flash's memory up to 500k and tried to embed the file. It says there isn't enough memory. I've tried importing the file as a .mov and an .avi (which by the way lowered the file size down to 50 megs.) None will load -- not enough memory.

So, I tried to link the file. It imports ok, but when I try to export the projector, an import box comes up, but the progression bar doesn't move anywhere. I waited for about 10 minutes.

This is for a CD ROM presentation, so I'm worried that if I link the file, whoever clicks on the projector is going to have to wait for that file to upload to the swf.

So, all in all, I'm having troubles. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks.
    -nic-

Hi there
    Are you using Flash MX?
    Are you on a MAC
    IF so, there seems to be a bug tpe thing where you can get a memory error in MX on a MAC, when trying to import a movie file. Try cranking up the Memory to bigger than the file size of the movie. If that still doesnt work, then you need to do some kind of precompress to get the file to a size that flashmx on themac can handle, like use the sorsenson3 codec from Quicktime Pro, to get the file size down and then try it. I have had this probem too and can only get around this way,
    unless you use another compression software like sorenson pro to make your swf.
    The link option that you get when you choose to import a movie is ONLY good to you if you are going to export as a
    quicktime movie. Which obviously wont work for you if you want to to be a projector. If you want it to stay as a QT, it is possible that you could launch the QT player from your projector, using an exec. command. this means that though the person viewing your project needs to QT installed.
    I suggest that if giving MX lotsa ram doestn help you will need to use thrid party software to convert to a .swf, or precompress. This isnt good practice as you should also start with the best quality and only compress once, but it is the only way i have gotten round the mac memeory error thing.
    cheers
    ss

My first question is how long is your video and what resolution are you wanting to play it at. 60 MB sounds like a pretty long video.

My next suggestion based on it being 60MB is that you section the clip into 4 seperate segments. About 10 sec before the end of the first segment you load segment 2 and at end of seg 1 you tell 2 to play for a seamless play. Projectors and cd drives run slower than watching through your browser from your harddrive so if you want to target slower machines as well your going to have to keep bit rates down.

Answer the top question and I will let you know if I have any ideas for getting file size down

JP
    mantaproductions.com

The Drunken Boxer

turn video to swf?

a while back i saw an ad here on flashkit, I even got the demo of the program..... I removed it a while ago though, and now i can't find it. the search on the board doesn't seem to work....

anyone know the name of the program that turns .mov;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg into .swf files???

PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE E

I nnnnneeeeeeedddd it!!

I rmemebr it only being 49 bucks for the lite version......

Try:
    swideo.com, livetronix.com, turbine has a software, javakitty.com, wildforms flix, Adobe AfterEffects can even do it and Livemotion as well, I know I must be leaving some out...just cant think of them off the top of my head. Just make sure they offer memory management or else you wil crash a few browsers .

also check out SV simulated video, here are some examples
    http://www.mantaproductions.com/demo.html

thanks. Actually, they want to split the video up anyway. One section playing at the beginning of each section of the presentation. So I thought that was the answer to my prayers. When we chopped it up into smaller segments, (5.9 MB)I could get a section to import.
    But when I exported it out as a projector, the video played SLOW (I'm on a pretty fast machine--G-4 Power Mac with about 896 MB's of RAM in my built in memory)

Anyway, the video played slow, but the sound played at a normal pace. Since the sound played normally, it was out of sync with the animation. Not sure what I can do to help this out. I'm importing them as .mov files. Should I be using a different file extension?

And as far as linking them goes, is there any way I can get by without having the person install Quicktime on their machine?

Lot of questions at once I know, if you have any suggestions--I'm all ears!

Thanks.
    -nic-

Originally posted by nic_buf
    But when I exported it out as a projector, the video played SLOW (I'm on a pretty fast machine--G-4 Power Mac with about 896 MB's of RAM in my built in memory) Anyway, the video played slow, but the sound played at a normal pace. Since the sound played normally, it was out of sync with the animation. Not sure what I can do to help this out.
    In Flash 4 - 5 dont know about mx. Setting sound to stream converts playback from framebased to timebased. This will force Flash to drop frames (if neccesary) to keep up with the audio. I think you have an option to synch in mx but regardless you should set your flash movie to the same fps as your video and try setting sound to stream if thats an option.

What fps did you export your video at and at what resolution 320 x 240, 640 x480??

Wildform Moderator
    revenger681,
    Hi.
    Sounds like you are asking about our software, Flix. We have three versions, including a Lite, with free demos of all of them for Win and Mac.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

The Drunken Boxer
    Originally posted by Jonathan_B
    revenger681,
    Hi.
    Sounds like you are asking about our software, Flix. We have three versions, including a Lite, with free demos of all of them for Win and Mac.

jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix
    yeh i found it!!
    Cool.

It's better than some others I tried. One, it's not 400 bucks, two, it does mp3s and such too!

I'll be buying it really soon hopefully!

Ok, i had the same problem when playing the video, this is what i did, at 1st my movie size was 35 meg with everything compressed, and my videos had an import option of 24 kfps wich is good for compression when using a web streaming, now that might be slowing it down when you play it, do you know whta that does? because i didnt and found out that`s pretty important, it`s one way to compress the video but it plays worst when it`s keyframe is bigger, what i did was that i tried and tried till i got to a point where it played better and didn`t loos qualityt, i imported my videos at 5 kfps and used a 70% quality, it played a LOT better nd my movie size at the end got from 28 - 30 meg down to 13 - 15 megs.and looked ok, are you sure you are using the right size of video that you need??? because if you import the video and use a smaller percentage on the size it will also be lower file size.

Thanks for your input. Video is something I'm going to have to sit down and figure out. We ended up freelancing that part out to someone else and got it done--somehow! But I would like to learn how do it myself efficiently for the next time around.

Thanks again.
    -nic-