A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New @2A real estate site

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    my brain is hurting, I can't handle these well thought out and researched responses, I just churn them off, spelling mistakes and all! I will try though!

a few notes:

- agency bad example, fair play.

- mr novak you said that you respect the hell I must have gone through when I started selling source code to my site, what did you mean by this, I didn't go through any hell, the concept has been a great success and has given me substantial research in practice to apply to the "Theory7 Flash Store".

- I'm only 25 and my business knowledge is probably not sufficient to carry on contributing to this thread, but I enjoyed having a go

- some advice to the 2A guys though, you should consider contributing to the boards for reasons other than just defending your good name, maybe helping out in the forums, correct me if I'm wrong and you already do this, sorry in advance if so.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

Originally posted by nevil
    - mr novak you said that you respect the hell I must have gone through when I started selling source code to my site, what did you mean by this, I didn't go through any hell, the concept has been a great success and has given me substantial research in practice to apply to the "Theory7 Flash Store".
    Agreed, it would appear that the concept is a success for you... I was refering to the personal hell of wading through this business decision. The problem I see comes from balancing the Risk vs. Reward decision.

There is an obvious realty that selling source or modules will turn Theory7 into a commodity, and thus Devalued in the eyes of the client. If everything is a template or a module, it's not long before you end up becoming the next Balthasar on the Internet... So how far does one go? Of course, this could be good or bad, depending on your ultimate business goals. Believe me, we've all had the discussion of breaking out modular components for sale. I see well over 100 messages a month coming through offering money for FLAs. But what cost will this have long term? Do you end up devaluing your work if clients can buy all of your source for under $1000? How easy is it to sell a $100K site in the future when a client is trying to dollar cost average your proposal? All of the questions that come up in my mind with a decision such as this amount to business analysis hell...

- I'm only 25 and my business knowledge is probably not sufficient to carry on contributing to this thread, but I enjoyed having a go
    I disagree... Your input is always a welcome addition to threads!

- some advice to the 2A guys though, you should consider contributing to the boards for reasons other than just defending your good name, maybe helping out in the forums, correct me if I'm wrong and you already do this, sorry in advance if so. [/B]
    Point well taken. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find the hours in the day with all that is going on at the studio currently. Even more so now... My daughter (Kayla Michelle Novak) was born Thursday, August 29th But no worries, I have completely eliminated "sleep" from my vocabulary... Now I only work... and change diapers!

haha! That's wonderful man!! Congratulations!

Unrelated.....

As a newer member to this community and an even newer member of the business world, I must say that I have truly enjoyed this thread. This has given me insight on so many different levels from my favorite designers/companies, as well as the other members of our community.

Thanks a mil.

Congrats Tony!

first up congrats on the baby, you should get her a pc and a copy of flash for her first birthday and get her started early!!

anyway back to the thread, just one comment, I agree with your theory about selling source code, for 2A it would have a negative effect in the long run, but for Theory7 it will be the core of the business, I want to move away from working for clients, not completely but as the Flash Store will be core to the business the long term effect will not be relavent in terms of clients.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

Originally posted by nevil
    first up congrats on the baby, you should get her a pc and a copy of flash for her first birthday and get her started early!!
    Thank you (and thanks to Miles as well!). But, I'm already ahead of you! I was trying to talk my wife(Stephanie) into the idea of playing Java/ASP Training Videos round-the-clock in her room... Needless to say, my idea was summarily dismissed with a rather stern "Over my Dead Body" comment.

anyway back to the thread, just one comment, I agree with your theory about selling source code, for 2A it would have a negative effect in the long run, but for Theory7 it will be the core of the business, I want to move away from working for clients, not completely but as the Flash Store will be core to the business the long term effect will not be relavent in terms of clients.
    It's an interesting business concept... Several times in the past, the idea has come up here. Moreover, with MX Components it's even more viable. As an old VB/C developer, I remember companies of old like SAX, Sheridan, TrueGrid, etc: All of them made a veritable killing in the component/module market.

While selling templates and/or FLAs isn't our priority, we are still considering several other opportunities. In the end, the best business plan is one with Recurring Revenue attached in some shape or form. It's inconceivable to think that a studio can forever survive contract-by-contract... Plus, I need to lighten the burden on sales in order to reduce my hairloss rate!

Originally posted by tpnovak
    Thank you (and thanks to Miles as well!). But, I'm already ahead of you! I was trying to talk my wife(Stephanie) into the idea of playing Java/ASP Training Videos round-the-clock in her room... Needless to say, my idea was summarily dismissed with a rather stern "Over my Dead Body" comment.
    when I was a kid my parents seriously discussed rigging up wires around the house they would move around, on so I would learn to fly as it seemed natural...

anyway, that's off-topic and better suited to the shrink's couch.

Originally posted by aversion
    Originally posted by tpnovak
    when I was a kid my parents seriously discussed rigging up wires around the house they would move around, on so I would learn to fly as it seemed natural...

anyway, that's off-topic and better suited to the shrink's couch.

that's the funniest thing I have ever read on flashkit

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    Dear guys,

reading this thread I very much regret that currently I have very very little time to write longer comments about the site and about the very interesting discussion about the ways the web developers should work and live...

I just wish to say CONGRATS and WELL DONE to the guys of 2A. Great site indeed. [I think] nobody noticed the huge amount of graphics design work that went in every pixel of this site. From the point of view of graphics design this site perhaps is more advanced than 2advanced.com (sorry guys).

Again, well done and thank you very much for a great CONTRIBUTION in web development!!

All the best,

Vahagn

Feed me , **** me and shut the
    daem you people are a pain in the ass, 2a is the best designing team/firm on the net and just because they are making money on what you would like to work with you say **** about there sites. If somebody said to me we pay you a lot of money if you make us a site for ours firm , we want it to look red and black and have a big picture of an horses ass hole in the middle so everyone can see it I would do it no question about it. It`s all about the Benjamin's.

Money rules the world!

2a wants to make diffrent sites with another design , but it isn`t about what they want but what the clients WANT!
    Get that in your stupid head and you dont turn down a project just because the client dont want it like that.

You people think that you are so smart and you say you would turn down projects and money if you dont get it the way you want it, how many designing teams/firms do you know of that have turned down projects just because the clients want a site to be semilar to other sites in the portfolio ?
    (AND JUST DONT NAME ONE SITE BUT AT LEAST 5)

I have one thing to say to you...

[edit - please lay off the swearing]

[Edited by aversion on 09-04-2002 at 10:43 AM]

Feed me , **** me and shut the

one more thing

just one more thing :

The site is one of the best I have ever seen , and I have seen a lot of flash sites in my life.

2a makes 100times better sites for there clients then whoswe.com if you ask me.

Am i right or what

nice sites you have Jeay....
    I had to copy paste but thats OK.

I get annoyed by people who gets annoyed by others (Did that make sense ? )

I haven't seen a *****in comment in this tread, only reasonable comments about the negative aspect of the site.
    I couldn't care less if 2A makes 100 000 $ per second or not ... most of us are web-designers ourselfes, and are trying to make the "BIG HIT". Not everyones likes the 2A design. I have shown it to a several people, and many of the comments made on, was about the sci-fi look and animation..and beein cool aspect as many designers use these days...like having a BLACK txt and then followed by a // and then a more greyisk txt behind that one ..

And the use of words like Modules, emotions for example
    I had a friend which talked like that when he made websites...felt like slapping him every time he mentioned his sci fi words !!

Originally posted by Jeay
    daem you people are a pain in the ass, 2a is the best designing team/firm on the net and just because they are making money on what you would like to work with you say **** about there sites. If somebody said to me we pay you a lot of money if you make us a site for ours firm , we want it to look red and black and have a big picture of an horses ass hole in the middle so everyone can see it I would do it no question about it. It`s all about the Benjamin's.

Money rules the world!

2a wants to make diffrent sites with another design , but it isn`t about what they want but what the clients WANT!
    Get that in your stupid head and you dont turn down a project just because the client dont want it like that.

You people think that you are so smart and you say you would turn down projects and money if you dont get it the way you want it, how many designing teams/firms do you know of that have turned down projects just because the clients want a site to be semilar to other sites in the portfolio ?
    (AND JUST DONT NAME ONE SITE BUT AT LEAST 5)

I have one thing to say to you...

[edit - please lay off the swearing]

[Edited by aversion on 09-04-2002 at 10:43 AM]
    - this is a discussion forum and the best work always creates this level of positive/negative critisism, average works just pass by.

- secondly not everyone is doing this just for the money, some people want to have personal direction in what they do, not just have their style dictated by their clients wallet, I think that is just your opinion, you are free to express it, but don't express it as though everyone else is wrong.

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

- secondly not everyone is doing this just for the money, some people want to have personal direction in what they do, not just have their style dictated by their clients wallet, I think that is just your opinion, you are free to express it, but don't express it as though everyone else is wrong. [/B]
    I completely agree with Nevil on this point. For a focused entrepreneur, money is ancillary. Of course, it is fundamental to payroll and keeping a business afloat...

That being said, first and foremost you have to love what you do. A passion for design and/or development is really the key to this business. If you love what you do and strive for perfection, you'll feel a hell of a lot more complete as a person! Not to mention the money "aspect" comes much more easily when you are less hung-up over the concept.

At last a thread that has some substance. I feel sites such as 2A, give younger designers, such as myself, something to aim for...if not something to try and better. This can only be a good thing right?

Banned by GMF ™
    MAN oh mna this is lame!

ARe you going to issuuuuue a grafIX deziine challenge or not!?

As for the stite I think it is wrong for the client. but have fun shwoing them theeir increasd in traffic anyway (even tho its' al highskoooolers from flashkiit!). ...

Ha ha! Better than that lousy hookey site though. But not much! Generaly the same issues/problems.... .

thanksly

[mod edit - talking about high school no swearing on flashkit, keep your comments clean]

[Edited by aversion on 09-04-2002 at 02:12 PM]

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)
    Mr novak, when oh when will you be inclined to change your avatar gif so it fits smoothly over the yellow background oh the flashkit posts..things like that annoy my eyeballs.

thought a refreshing tangential subject was in order...

Chris
    http://www.edevstudios.com

Originally posted by lady bring
    MAN oh mna this is lame!

ARe you going to issuuuuue a grafIX deziine challenge or not!?

As for the stite I think it is wrong for the client. but have fun shwoing them theeir increasd in traffic anyway (even tho its' al highskoooolers from flashkiit!). ...

Ha ha! Better than that lousy hookey site though. But not much! Generaly the same issues/problems.... .

thanksly

[mod edit - talking about high school, no swearing on flashkit, keep your comments clean]

[Edited by aversion on 09-04-2002 at 02:12 PM]

you entitled to your comments but please don't swear on flashkit.

if you're looking for threads about design or design challenges, check out the design and graphics forum, there's a few different threads there where you can show us your work and give your opinions on others.

cheers

A question for Mr Jordan,
    once whilst reading The Flash Bible, in the designer profiles, it said that you liked nothing more than to lock yourself in a room, with nice music and create hightech feel flash sites. I was jjust wondering is this true. I cant picture it myself.
    Pete

Shameless Plug:: http://www.raffa.co.uk