A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mov compression

Hybrid View

When exporting a movie from flash as a .mov file, what type of compression does flash use? Cinepak or another one?

what are you putting into your qt video.
    if you have linked a qt movie into your flash, and
    then exported is as a qt, i think,
    that the qt layer stays in exactly the same compression format it always was (cos flash is actually not doing anything to the qt, it is just adding a layer to the quicktime known as as flash track)
    but the flash componemts, animations and stuf that you are
    putting into your quicktime, are retained in there vector format on a different layer as a ,swf track, so the only compression is what you have specified in the output settings for flash.
    make sense?
    i think tht is right
    cheers
    ss

There are two ways to check this. Just open the movie in QT and click "command i" (info, Mac) and it should tell you what codec was used.

To dig a little deeper, open the "get movie properties (command j)" window and you should also find what you are looking for.

5G

yeah, that s what i though but i tried that on a quick test export i did as QT and nothing came up in the info bout the compression codec. but i just exported fla content, not a linked qt.

Just so I'm straight on this:

There are two ways to work with a .mov in Flash MX:

1. Import the .mov and convert it to the flash timeline with Spark. From this you will create a .swf (and .fla source)

2. Link to an external .mov, you import the .mov to the timeline so you can add a Flash layer (if you wish). Then export or publish as a QT .mov.

You should be able to open the published .mov info by opening the .mov in QT and checking the settings (cmd i and j).

I would guess it's Sorenson or Sorenson 3.

So, I just did my own little test. A published QT movie from Flash (set to 5) uses Sorenson 3 compression.

5G
    [Edited by Wheels on 08-31-2002 at 12:04 AM]