A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: onmouseover

i need to make the flash movie or anything in it a link to another page. all i need is an explaination of the simplest way to do this...

You need to create a button. Just create some shape or text and right click on it and choose 'Convert to symbol'. Choose button. then you can attach a getURL action to it.
    [Edited by nepdude on 09-01-2002 at 10:36 AM]

thats great...i can do that...but it still doesnt work. all i get when i do that and then display it on the page is a useless flash movie. when i put the mouse over the image/text that i wanted to be a link, i get the little i-beam for text. no mouse cursor, or link hand...clicking on it doesnt seem to do anything either, except for highlight the letters that i wanted to be the link.

first of all, make sure the text is static and not input.
    then the nepdude post should work fine.

On your code for your button put this code:

on (release) {
    getURL ("http://www.whatever.com", 0);
    }

ive done what you guys suggested ....nothing works...i need more suggestions. heres the link to the page that contains the movie. <a href="http://willowbottom.change.to">Willow Bottom</a>

post the fla

whats you email addy man, ill mail it to you...

my question has not yet been answered!...please HELP.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    can you post your fla somewhere?

Even more simple,

Make a textField, and just type your URL in the apropiate box.

how?...where?

Just put the TEXTFIELD on the flash movie, type some message, and look at the properties window... you'll see a LINK or URL box there, type in the URL and that's IT!. Your text will behave like a hiperlink of a HTML file.

You really need to get a book if your having trouble with buttons...Anyway, here is what you need to do: (I assume you are using Flash MX)

1. Click "Insert", "New Symbol" (from the top menu)
    2. Name your symbol, click "Button" from the "Behavior" radio buttons, then check "Export for ActionScript"
    3. A new window with it's own time line will appear. Make a graphic that will be used as a button. Put a key frame (F6) in the "Over", "Down" & "Hit" states.
    4. Go back to your main Scene (Probably Scene 1)
    5. From your library, drag an instance of the button onto the stage, where you want it to appear in your movie.
    6. Select the button & put the following ActionScript on it:
    ***If it's linking to an html page***
    on (Press) {
    getURL ("http://www.yourpage.com");
    }
    *** If it's linking to another SWF in your movie***

on (Press) {
    _root.loadMovie ("yourpage.swf",1);
    }

***If it's loading a MC ***

on (Press) {
    _root.attachMovie ("yourmc","yourmc",1);
    }

hope that helps!

I tried to open your fla with flashmx and it said Unexpectd format. what gives

so mraspiller, why is it that your telling the most complicated way you can (so it seems) when ive done a simple link with text on movies before?...my problem, atleast now, is that the text(static) which i added a getURL actionscript to, doesnt act as a link when i publish and save it that way, also, when i view the published movie, the link doesnt work(obviously), but also when you right click and hit play to play it again, THEN it links to the page i want. another thing, why wouldnt my MX fla file work on EQAN's program? the movie is acting reallly wierd, its not that i dont know how to make a simple button, i mean, the flash help site explains it pretty darn simply. im sorry if the subject from earlier posts makes it seem as if i still have the same issue, or whatever is misleading you all.

gottajiboo

Post your fla so I can see what your doing...You won't learn if people send you their FLAs...

lets see if this works...
    <object data="www.angelfire.com/band2/willowbottom/willowfade2.swf" type="aplication/x-shockwave-flash" width="580" height="430">
    <param name="movie" value="willowfade.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed src="www.angelfire.com/band2/willowbottom/willowfade2.swf" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="580" height="430">
    </embed>
    </object>
    by the way, i tried what you suggested, and i didnt get that seperate window with the timeline in it. im not sure why...

cool down

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gottajiboo
    [B]so mraspiller, why is it that your telling the most complicated way you can (so it seems)

Hello,
    I know how you feel, he is telling you the most simple way to do it, You just don't have the experiance yet. Take it from me I learned by teaching my-self and READING BOOKS! You have to get books!, or take some classes. Don't get mad at the others that are trying to help you its hard enough trying to explain problems you have by typing it.
    Flash is very hard to use at first but oncce you get it down it is very very easy to use. It will take you hours to make one little item in your movie!
    Did you get your answer, I can help you if you want.
    PCRIDE_

YOU MUST EAT FLASH, SLEEP FLASH, AND SH*T FLASH, I have had dreams about actionscript and made it work the next day!