A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Controling a movie clip with seperate buttons

I have three buttons, I also have a fourth main movie clip. all are seperate movie clips within a web page.
    I would like each of the buttons to have different aspects of control over the fourth main moovie clip.

1.STOP/PLAY the 4th main movie, or maybe just pause it.

2.STOP/PLAY the sound, which is an mp3 file in one of the buttons timelines.

3.ON/OFF switch for the main movies loop sequence.

Is this simple to do?

are these buttons separate movies (.swf files)? or movie clips in one movie?

They are seperate .swf files, within a web page.

[Edited by Fluid X on 09-02-2002 at 08:25 AM]

reviving this post

I could still use some help or at least a little direction with this please.
    My project will be complete once I have this information.

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar
    give the fourth movie clip an instance name, say "fourth", then target it from the buttons, use code like

on(release){
    _root.fourth.play();
    }

on(release){
    _root.fourth.stop();
    }

on(release){
    _root.fourth.gotoAndPlay("mp3_file");
    }

on(release){
    _root.fourth.gotoAndStop("stop_anim");
    }

on(release){
    _root.fourth.gotoAndStop("play_anim");
    }

if your 4th main movie clip is loaded as a level, then simply target the level, _levelx.gotoand.....

Ok I tried It, couldn't seem to get it to work, maybe I just don't understand action script enough to fill in any gaps.

I need a more detailed explanation, or I'm gonna to have to wade through a manual. The manual I have is massive, but I only need these buttons to work to finish my project.

you have a fourth movie clip, right?
    so click on it an in the instance panel give it a name, got it?
    then put actions on each button as I showed you to target the movie clip and tell it what you want it to do, so on button 1 you might want to tell it to play your mp3 file so put

on(release){
    }

it's fairly simple, you will need to put the actionscript window in expert mode to put this code in.

Yeh thanks, I understand naming instances and setting the actions, no problem, like I said its the actual script I have trouble with..

Iv'e put the mp3 file in a separate movie clip thats placed on the web page.
    -----------------------------------------------
    on(release){
    }
    ----------------------------------------------
    I dont understand the part ("mp3_file")When its a movie im trying to control, not a file. Or maybe I should just use a file, can you do that?...........Now you have a better insight into what I understand and what I dont.

I am asuming that you have a sound set in a keyframe, then if you give the keyframe a flasg name it will play the sound when you goto that frame, if you are using flash MX and are trying to load an external MP3 file then that is a different kettle of fish, you will need to use the loadMovie command.

I have made a basic test web page containing two flash movies.
    http://www.inzane.plus.com/test

One movie is the sound.
    The other is the button to control the sound.
    I,ve used the method you showed me, I must be stupid cause I can't get it work...So I have put the source files at http://www.inzane.plus.com/test/source

Im using MX

I really think you need to learn a bit more flash before you carry on, everything is wrong, ok here goes.

1 - you have two seperate flash movies, and you are not loading one into the other, so they can't talk to each other across a html page, so first of all create a movie clip in your button movie and put a movie clip on the timeline, give it an instance name, call it mp3.

2 - go inside the new movie clip and put a stop on frame 1, put the sound file on frame 2.

3 - at the moment you have the button actions on the frame not the button, so you need to put those actions on the actual button.

4 - I presume that you want the button to play or stop the music, so you are going to need two buttons, one to play and one to stop, or create a button inside a movie clip that switches states.

5 - put the actions on the button:
    on(release){
    _root.mp3.gotoAndStop(2);
    }

6 - if you want to add a stop then on your stop button put:

on(release){
    _root.mp3.gotoAndStop(1);
    }

then put a stopAllSounds(); on frame 1 of the movie where you put the sound file.

this system uses one 1 flash movie, not two like you currently have.

Ok I understand now.
    Thank you Nevil for your help and your patience.