dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: REFRACTION AND RENDER QUESTION

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    1. wat's the index of refraction if i wanna have a solid sphere of glass effect?? so far i only managed to make it look like a hollow sphere...

2. wat's the best render method out there?? i know a couple like scanline render and raytrace render...

If you are talking about 3d max or plasma.

Try putting some images like this in the reflection map box.

http://www.3dshop.com/Gallery/Fantastic/921F.jpg

As for renders three good ones are Mental Ray-Discreet, Brazil r/s-Splutterfish and Finalrender-Cebas.

sorry i wasn't clear... i was talking about making a realistic looking ball made of glass... kinda like a crystal ball... they are transparent but refracting the lights... not those trance effect...

thanks for that render info... i've heard brazil is really good... is it a plugin for MAX or something?

brazil is a third party renderer.

I was gonna answer, but luckily, I JUST answered this question on some other site... anyway, here's a good tutorial on how to make a glass material, with refractions, and distortions, included.

hope that helps.

_
    cant wait till i get plasma... reall nice lookin!

why not download the demo, and then enter this contest and win it free?

oh, and tell 'em gerbick sent you here

Hmmmm

Open the help file and search for:
    Refraction Mapping and check out the settings.
    Easy hey?

yeap... easy if i actually have 3DMAX hehehe...

i think i told ya in my other thread that i only use a free open source prog called OpenFX... gerb's suggestion actually...

i just realised how limited it is... only good for tweaking the damn vertices... oh well... guess im gonna have to save up for a while and get me a copy of a proper proggie...

i found out wat the refraction index for diamond and water though 2.4 and 1.33...

thanks all...

oh this is the closest i can get... pretty pathetic really...

glass' refraction rate is about 1.5 to almost 2.0... I use 1.72-1.8 for best results.

and here I thought you had 3ds max!

Big thread here:)

Index of Refraction: The index of refraction (IOR) controls how severely the material refracts transmitted light. Left at 1.0, the IOR of air, the object behind the transparent object does not distort. At 1.5 the object behind distorts greatly (like a glass marble). At an IOR slightly less than 1.0, the object reflects along its edges (like a bubble seen from under water). Default=1.5 (the IOR of typical glass).

Common IORs (assuming the camera is in air or a vacuum) are:

In the physical world, the IOR results from the relative speeds of light through the transparent material and the medium the eye or the camera is in. Typically this is related to the object's density. The higher the IOR, the denser the object.

You can also use a map to control the index of refraction. IOR maps always interpolate between 1.0 (the IOR of air) and the setting in the IOR parameter. For example, if you set the IOR to 3.55 and use a black-and-white Noise map to control IOR, the IORs rendered on the object will be set to values between 1.0 and 3.55; the object will appear denser than air. If, on the other hand, you set the IOR to 0.5, then the same map values will render between 0.5 and 1.0: as if the camera is under water and the object is less dense than the water.

Here are some more IOR values for various materials: