A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OT: Digital Camera... taking recommendations...

I've decided to donate my digital camera to a good friend and person that needs a digital camera, perhaps moreso than I do; however, I'm seriously looking for some ideas on what's good to buy.

my old camera, was 3.3megapixels, and what not... loved it to death. but, it's going to a good home.

anyway, I'm leaning towards the Leica Digilux 1 moreso for the old-school styling, it's 4megapixels, and just oozes so much class.

any others? looking for a cool looking/working one... having compact flash type 2 or SD Memory would be a great thing...

any information pertaining this would be killer... thanks in advance.

Now that Leica actually looks like a camera, not like most cameras today which look like rejected star trek props! I wish i had a decent digital camera. My current one is under a megapixel .

I checked sony's site to see what they had in the way of digital cameras.

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...=&itemid=34621
    Problem with this is that it looks like it is a right handed camera only. But it does solve the storage space issue!

I also checked polaroid, didn't see anything great.

Checked kodak

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digit...0/dx4900.jhtml
    Dunno if yer interested. It has a dock, wow...

That was all the camera sites i could think of. Hope i helped.

I'm also looking to buy my first digi camera so I'll keep an eye on this little topic. Anything to avoid / look out for?

Originally posted by CVO Chris
    I'm also looking to buy my first digi camera so I'll keep an eye on this little topic. Anything to avoid / look out for?
    Don't be impressed by a camera that says it has something like 200xDigital zoom. Only trust something like 3xoptical zoom. Digital zoom is useless, it is only cropping and enlarging an image, which really is useless and makes your pictures really fuzzy and yuck. You can go and do that in photoshop if you had to. I personally disable the digital zoom function on any digital camera that i use. Remember with cameras, Optical rocks, and Digital is evil.

Originally posted by gerbick

I've decided to donate my digital camera to a good friend and person that needs a digital camera, perhaps moreso than I do
    Is it a chick? I bet its a chick!

Well I use a fujifilm finepix 40i 4.3 megapixels 64meg smart media and it does everything I need really.

Has a great macro filter, good in strong light and low-ish light levels, plays mp3s and can take up to 80seconds of video at a time.

The only problems are, you can't change lenses, add filters, there is no optical zoom, red eye filter/flash doesn't work (just tape a bit of toilet paper over the flash to solve that).

So basically you want a camera with optical zoom (the larger the better), rapid shot mode if possible, ability to swap lenses (I doubt you'll get that function on most 3/4mp cameras); I would reccomend a powered hub or docking bay though, as my camera runs out of batteries and I want to get the images from the camera to my laptop, I have to charge the batteries before doing so, which is a pain. Or have the camera run out half way in the middle of a transfer.

Also buy a couple sets of rechargable batteries and a 4 way recharger (so it can recharge 4 batteries at a time.

Originally posted by jcsco0
    Originally posted by CVO Chris
    Don't be impressed by a camera that says it has something like 200xDigital zoom. Only trust something like 3xoptical zoom. Digital zoom is useless, it is only cropping and enlarging an image, which really is useless and makes your pictures really fuzzy and yuck. You can go and do that in photoshop if you had to. I personally disable the digital zoom function on any digital camera that i use. Remember with cameras, Optical rocks, and Digital is evil.
    I agree -- digital zoom is nothing more than a gimmick. If you are looking for a good digicam that won't send your bank account down to overdraft hell (e.g. good ones under £100 here in UK). I brought a Fuji A101 with 1.4MPX and a LCD screen -- although it would never compete with the digicam monsters (e.g. 4+MPX) it is actually good. Some pictures are so sharp that after cropping, zooming and resizing the quality is still good.
    Fuji A101 can take 20second movie (no sound) at quality of 640x860 (I think) -- quality is not so brilliant but good enough for the web use.

If you are looking for a camera just for web imaging then a cheap digicam with resolution of 640x860 will do - like SiPix Blink (smaller than a credit card and costs around £40 so you can carry it around anywhere!).

It depends on what you hope to use your digicam, really. For a general entry-level purpose digicam then by all means go for Fuji A101. Have had no problems. There is of course a Fuji A201 with 2.1MPX but it does not look as cool as A101!

BTW, you would also need to invest in some rechargable Ni-MH (not the usual Ni-Cd) baterries -- digicams especially those with LCD consumes power a lot and quickly.

A cool place to buy digicams: www.digitalcamerasdirect.co.uk good deals but service is not spotless but who cares as long as you get a good deal!

Sheesh! I am too passionate about digital photography -- better go before this post uses up full page!

Thanks for the info jcsco0. Knowing me, I would've been pulled in with all that Digital Zoom mumbo jumbo

I'll think I'll take a look at that Fuji A101 Tony. Cheers

nope, markp, it's not a chick to whom I'm donating the camera too...

guys, maybe my question was a bit misunderstood. I know about digital vs. optical zoom, what not.

I'm just looking at solid camera recommendations.

and keep the price around $1000.00 USD... honestly, that Leica is just too delicious... I want it.

johnhadtobanme-myfault . You won this time john, next time ill hit the button. GMF
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_.../fuji6900.html

fujifilm finepix 6900, my friend has one of these and its sweet little camera. excellent specs and is right in your price range.

Originally posted by gerbick
    nope, markp, it's not a chick to whom I'm donating the camera too...

guys, maybe my question was a bit misunderstood. I know about digital vs. optical zoom, what not.

I'm just looking at solid camera recommendations.

and keep the price around $1000.00 USD... honestly, that Leica is just too delicious... I want it.
    Oowww... you can get some tastey kit at that price! I'll send you some links later... just off to cook some food!

M

i want this one..just cause it looks cool

if i had the money i'd buy this one

i have a sony dsc-s70. works great, takes awesome pictures. id recommend this camera

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    LOL wat is it with MP3 players these days... first u got mobiles+MP3 then a Discman+MP3 now a digicam+MP3 wat next? microwave oven+MP3??

no, no, no

no combo stuffs. just a camera. a nice one. no mp3 crap. I have an iPod for that.

I just want a high quality camera.

Originally posted by vampstko
    i want this one..just cause it looks cool

i have that one...

bleh.

it looks cool but takes pretty ugly pics.

of course the newer version that just came out costs less then mine, is around 1.3 megapixels, like 5 times as much space, etc.

stupid new models...

i have the Sony DSC 707 Cybershot 5.0 mega pixels.

It's a great camera and i totally recommend it. I was lucky to test it when i was working in the UK amongst other digis and liked it so much i went out and bought it.

if you want any further info email me

a

damn nice camera, aria... worthy looking into.

I just want that leica though. it's sexy.

anybody else have any recommendations?

Sleepless in NYC ...

its 2am ET and i thought i was the only person hoovering around here...

The Leica looks great and the specs are impressive ... I don't know of anyone with a Leica digi tho so i havent got any info on it. It is considered to be the 'Rolls-Royce' of cameras btw . When i was at photo school, Leicas were being sold as collectors items at places like Jessops and special stores, so Id imagine you'll be making a sound investment.

let us know what you think of it and post some pics when you get it

a

yeah, I just found a to DIE FOR price for that Leica... gotta see if they're in stock though...

well that, and I just found an Apple Cube, and just found out that they are making a dual 1ghz upgrade for it... hmmm...