A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help!!! Cant understand why video wont work

Hybrid View

Here is what i have got....
    I have a mpeg video, i went into quicktime and exported it to .mov file, imported it into flash, and did some other animations around it on different layers (as you would normally do in flash) i have figured out that you can't press F12 and view it (read it in help) but how do i get it to work like a normal .swf file. I cant seem to get the video to work, when i open the swf file the other layers of animation work but the video doesnt.I also have no sound on the video anymore since i exported it from mpeg.

Can someone tell me how i am supposed to put this video in flash and also have animation in there as well?

Thankyou

when you imported the movie into flash, did you choose embed, or link?
    it sounds like you may have choose the second option which i s a little misleading, cos it is only of any use to you if you are going to export as a qt.(and then it has to be to a quik time player that is a version later than the .swf that is export as flash5 for qt6, flash4 for qt5)
    If you dont want to export it as a quicktime, then you need to choose embed, this actually then coverts the .mov to a .swf
    hopefully this is the prob, if not let me know.
    cheers
    ss

thankyou, i inserted a flash movie (used the generator objects panel) and i got it onto screen and can preview it (still without sound, but i think that is from the conversion from mpeg to swf) and i put it as a motion, and i move it round the screen, but when i preview it, even tho in my timeline it is only half the movie length, it still plays through the whole movie and doesnt animate (move round the screen) till the movie is over.

What am i doing wrong? I might need step by step instructions LOL

thankyou

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Why are you converting the mpeg file before bringing it into Flash. You don't have to.
    I think the Quicktime won't support the audio when it converts it to .mov.
    jb
    http://www.wildform.com/flix

nahh, it does support the audio, and i think flash works the compression better when it is a .mov, of course, you may use other formats, however, when you impot the video, and the dialog box appears there`s a check button for the sound check that`s selected before importing the file -that might be it- also when you play it in flash you wont hear any sound, you have to export the movie and then you`ll hear the audio from the video, -just in case- you never know, if that isnt your prob. let me know.
    Good luck, hope that was helpfull in any way.

thankyou for your help, i upgraded to flash MX and has not problem whatsoever, i just imported the mpeg and it works just fine, i can move it round and stop the movie when i want etc etc.

I do have one question tho....
    i am trying to move it round the screen but i can only have a keyframe at the start and the end, if i put one in the middle (to change direction of animation) it starts the video over again.
    I also would like to know how i can make fade - do i have to get another program for that???

Ok, try this: after you import the video, select the video, press F8 (convert to symbol), and select graphic, after that you may do whatever you want to your video, alpha (fade), tint, whatever. . but then the problem i told you before comes up. . . whats that for?? if you are going to use it on the web? what? because if you make flash do those things(fade,tint) and the video it`s heavy you might experience some problems, however try it, it depends on the compression you give it when you import the video.
    Good luck.

If you put key frames in the middle, you are basically telling it to start over. Do what Phreak said, put in an MC. Do all of your animating with the MC.

Don't do anything to the video timeline in the MC, the timeline is one long frame - the many frames that make up the length of your video. If you put a keyframe in the middle - Flash thinks you want to start another instance of the same video. That's why it asks you if you want to add frames when you import.

5G