A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how did they do this?

banned by dp
    http://www.concordebuddy.com/barry/

On this site, in the top right hand corner, the graphic has a fade on it, it alphas out. How is this done in Photoshop?

Thanks.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    lots of ways to do it. the easiest way is to create a new layer, choose the colour you wish to foreground, gradient tool, choose foreground to transparent.

banned by dp
    Still not getting it.

So...I put a layer over the image, and have a color gradiate from opaque to transparent,, giving the effect that the image is fading out?

Great, but how? I see the gradient tool...but it just gradiates from one color to another. And the only transparency option I see is to make the whole thing transparent , which isn't what I want.

I want one color of the two to be transparent, right?

Thanks.

easiest way to do it quickly is use a layer mask.

make sure the layer below, in the bg, is transparent and click the layer with the image on it. Then click the add layer mask at the bottom, choose the gradient tool and select a black to white or transparent gradient. Fill the mask with a gradient and the areas inside the mask that are black should be transparent. Any white or transparent pixels won't effect the area underneath.

aversion's way is a little harder, but you should learn it as you don't loose any picture information.
    [Edited by redact207 on 09-04-2002 at 04:30 AM]

infact the fade wasn't that great on the site, you could do better

greetz
    david

Originally posted by dtrace
    but it just gradiates from one color to another. And the only transparency option I see is to make the whole thing transparent , which isn't what I want.
    in details : once you chose your gradient tools, you make sure you selected LINEAR by clicking one of the four buttons at top/left (hope you see em ?) next to those buttons theres a 'gradient bar' that goes, for example, from black to white, blue to red or whatever... click the little arrow (drop down menu arrow) then mouse-over every options you see, you'll find the kind of gradient you need...

then you can do what was explained by herr_data in prev. post

hope it helps...

yeah, that and an english crash course...

sorry i would comment on something helpful but all i got was an advert for a holiday insurance company lol, any ideas how to get rid of the buggers?