A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem when using 2 graphic tablets (Intuos AND graphire)

His Flashy Highness
    I just discovered an odd issue with Flash MX (Win). I have two graphic tablets: a 6x8 Intuos that I use at work and a Graphire 2 that I use at home. I have Flash on my laptop. Now when I come home and use the graphire all lines I draw are very very thin, no matter how hard I press.

Here is what I think is happening: The two tablets support a different number of pressure levels: Intuos: 1024, Graphire: 512. After working with the Intuos, Flash obviously thinks that the pressure range has to be 1..1024. Now evern if I press very hard on the graphire I will never get more than level 512 which then shows up as a thin line.

How can I tell Flash to forget the highest pressure value it has seen before?

Thanks for any advice.

Macromedia, did you see this post? This could qualify as bug...

Juggle5

His Flashy Highness
    just pulling this to the top again

Sounds like you need to update your drivers:
    http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/bulletin472.cfm

....This driver adds support for the new Cintiq 18sx, pressure-sensitivity on multiple tablets, portrait mode for Cintiq....
    The problem is not with Flash but the Wacom drivers.

His Flashy Highness
    Originally posted by megatoon
    Sounds like you need to update your drivers:
    (...)
    The problem is not with Flash but the Wacom drivers.
    Well... actually that's not the problem. I just checked and I'm running the latest version of the drivers (I just downloaded the driver a few weeks ago).

I experimented some more and found something really odd: If I plug in both tablets at the same time, then everything works perfect. However if I plug in only one tablet (works fine), then unplug that and plug in the other tablet instead -- pressure sensitivity doesn't work.

But I agree it's probably a driver issue because I tried the same thing using Painter Classic and the pressure sensitivity was messed up also there when I unplugged one panel and plugged in the other one.

I guess I'll have to email Wacom support to check if they are aware of that issue...

Juggle5

Hmm I don't seem to have teh same prob with my intuos1 and graphire1 running on Win2k :shrugs:

His Flashy Highness
    Originally posted by megatoon
    Hmm I don't seem to have teh same prob with my intuos1 and graphire1 running on Win2k :shrugs:
    OK. I called Wacom support and here is the solution for future reference. It's perfectly possible that you don't have the problem I have, I found.

In my case, my main issue was that my primary panel would do pressure sensitivity correctly. So the solution below solves *my* problem:

If you use more than one panel alternatively, one is still the primary panel. So when you get into the situation that I have (the wrong panel is the primary), you best nuke the wacom preference file. Do a search for "wacom.dat" to find it. Just delete that. Then reboot your machine with your *favorite* panel attached. That will rebuild that file correctly.

Once this is all set up right, then connect any other tablets. So even if there are issues with pressure sensitivity between panels or with erasers -- at lesat your primary panel works fine.

Juggle5