A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Just finished doing some work with large Video files in flash.. what I know.

Just thought I would share 2 performance boosters when dealing with video that I had to learn the hard way.

1st. Don't scrimp on the sound. Set to 44khz and turn of the "Convert audio to mono" setting. Nothing worse than great video with crap sound.

2nd. If you are working with large video, put key frames in. Never, in my opinion do not put keyframes in. At the very least, put them in at 48.

Why you ask? Simple. If you ever want to do a "Seek" at run time on that video.. for instance if you want to jump to a specific place... if you don't have keyframes in, then Flash has to process through the entire video up to the point you are going to. This crunches the processor and you get lag like delays based on computer power. If there are keyframes for the Flash player to reference, it's instant.. well.. comparibly.

THat's it.. just 2 quick things that would have saved me many hours of re-compiling swf files with video in them....

later

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if pacman affected us as kids, we'd all run

...funny....'cause it's true! kids do!

large video files

I am also working with very large video files. When I export as a .swf, the sound from the imported video does not work. (Yes I checked to include the sound when I first imported it.) But it does work when I just 'test scene'. Just not with the whole movie. Any suggestions???