A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need a Flash XML genius to help me with quick menu question.

I've created a horizontal scrolling menu with a left and right arrow to cause the text to scroll. Everything works when I use static text but I'd like to be able to alter the link names and the urls in the menu via an XML file. I have no clue where to start. It seems like something very simple but I haven't found anything on Flashkit that works this way.

I've managed to get the contents of a textfile to load into a movie symbol I've created. But when I place that symbol under my mask on the main timeline and test the movie, the text isn't appearing.

Can anyone help me? I can email you the .fla file to look at.

Thanks in advance.
    Tyler

there are examples on flashkit that use xml documents loaded into flash.

have you created the xml document?
    if so,does it load correctly into your movie?
    if not, have you declared a new xml object in the flash movie to handle the xml document? also, you need to then parse the info that the xml document contains and then, perhaps, format it...in any case, you need to use a dynamic text field...let me know where you are with this and maybe i can offer more precise info.

can you explain the mask problem a little more, i'm not sure i fully understand it. the text will appear on the main timeline only without the mask?

I'm not really familiar with XML so I took another example of how the code works and modified it for the needs of my Flash navigation.

I found several XML examples here in Flashkit. One in particluar that acts as a horizontal dynamic menu slider. I couldn't figure out how to modify it to make it move according to left and right arrows instead of by mouse position, so I ended up starting from scratch using bits and pieces of other movies. The entire movie is built and works with static text but I can't figure out how to even get the XML to load and scroll if the user clicks an arrow.

Would you be willing to take a look at the Flash and XML files I have zipped up? Email me at tlee@jsaweb.com if so.

Thanks a million for your response.

sure. i'll take a look. i sent you an email. just send the zipped .fla and the xml doc.

if you don't recieve my email or if there's any other prob, let me know here...k?