A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloader problems

I have a strange situation. I have a separate swf that loads in layer 3. It is 45 kb in size. I made a preloader like hundreds of others I have used in the past using getBytesLoaded and getTotalBytes. It will not display during the loading. Using the test movie it seems to be telling me that I have 72 kb on the first frame of the preloader! Once it downloads completely it shows me 72 Kb of 72 Kb for a brief second and then jumps into Scene 1. What gives?

GRooVeZ is the name ;) PixelAddict's Avatar
    take one of your good preloaders

and switch it with the bad one

Banned
    Yep! Have we been talking about that!

When using components and/or linkage (export on the first frame), although a good preloader still works, it won't show up nearly before it becomes useless.

You have to create a new preloader movie, which sole purpose in life is to preload your present movie (without it's own preloader), in an empty container clip or on another level.

Originally posted by oldnewbie
    Yep! Have we been talking about that!

When using components and/or linkage (export on the first frame), although a good preloader still works, it won't show up nearly before it becomes useless.

You have to create a new preloader movie, which sole purpose in life is to preload your present movie (without it's own preloader), in an empty container clip or on another level.
    I tried unchecking the export in first frame option for a mc used in the main swf, but that only cut 4 kb from the first frame. Still don't know why it is telling me I have 72 kb instead of the 45 that the actual swf is.
    Could you point me towards an example of the new preloader movie you are speaking of? The concept sounds good. Does it display the bytes loading of the movie it is preloading?
    Thanks for a fast reply!