A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: saving info

ok, I tried this question a few times and no response so here goes again in a different way!

I have an application to do. Standalone. This application will be installed on 5 machines in a classroom with a network. I want to do the application in Flash cause I love it!

what it is, is that people will sit at the stations to do a test. Once the test is done the result are sent to a database that resides on the main server computer in the network.

My question is How will I send the info to the database. I can't use php, cold fusion ect... because this isn't online and is not in a browser it's an .exe file.

I know this is kind of a class on it's own, but all I'm looking for is a direction! is this possible? where should I look for help?

Thanks

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

I know that one of my customers has written a networked test application in Flash. He stores the test results in text files and INI files in a central location on the server. The data is primitively encrypeted to stop snoopy students from seeing/modifying their test results. He did it all with the FileSys and INIFile plugins in SWF Studio (www.northcode.com). It may not be as cool or secure as using a database, but it works and has been working for almost a year now

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I have also done what Northcode has suggested using SWF Studio. It works great. If you want to use a database, you can install Apache Web Server on the main computer along with PHP. Then just use the other computers to connect with http://computername or ip address/file.php. I have done this before and it works great even without an internet connection.

Using ini like NorthCode suggested is good but if you really want a true solution, then you should consider using a True Database system, and Flash 'N Pack has a built in one, a DataBase system that doesn't require any ADO driver or MS Access or any other files it is simply a stand alone system that will work on any Windows system win95 and up...

get it here:

http://www.flashnpack.com

also don't forget to visit:

http://www.flashnpack.com/help to get started with your development..
    if you still have questions you can always reach me at http://www.flashnpack.com/forum

have fun.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

I couldn't find any demos, docs or details other than a thread in the FNP support forums that said the database solution only works with dBase III files (and up). Using the CodeBase engine Jay? Does the DB support come bundled with the trial version or is it a separate download.

[Edited by Northcode on 09-08-2002 at 02:51 AM]

Easy...

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't reply to this earlier - what you need is Flash Studio PRO - it's completely FREE and you can connect directly to an access database locally or over a network. You can run SQL statements and all of this with just 2 or 3 lines of code.

You can download Flash Studio from http://www.multidmedia.com

It also lets you fully customize the flash projector and also boasts over 55 other fscommands. You can download a sample projectors and their source code (including one that demonstrates Database connectivity) from http://www.multidmedia.com/fls/downloads

I think this will be just what you're looking for. Enjoy!

thanks

thanks guys!

it looks like you are all trying to sell me a different product. And I'm sure they are all great....THANKS

But I think Gambini got me.
    Flash'n'pack looks awesome as well but all the sample files are missing and most of the sample aren't done. Maybe along the way I'll switch but for now I'll go for Flash Studio!

I downloaded it a while ago, saw how the database works...
    pretty simple but I couldn't see how it connected over a network only locally, I guess I'll look closer...unless someone throws me another bone!

Thanks Again guys

I can't believe this place (FK) it's always good and free advice!

Originally posted by danleroux
    I couldn't see how it connected over a network only locally, I guess I'll look closer...unless someone throws me another bone!
    Sure, instead of using flashstudio.connecttodb, use flashstudio.connecttodb_abs and then you can enter either a network path, or an absolute path.

Hope this helps!

Why not just use the free PHP solution. It is just as powerful as Gambini's Flash Studio Pro and has a lot better technical support.

Jasonsplace, using a databse is more secure and certainly a lot neater. Also, we have had nothing but praise for our level of support and our product is free for personal use which makes it the perfect answer to danleroux's original question.

Good luck with your project.

[Edited by Gambini on 09-08-2002 at 06:49 PM]

Originally posted by jasonsplace
    Why not just use the free PHP solution. It is just as powerful as Gambini's Flash Studio Pro and has a lot better technical support.
    Doesn't PHP Require a Server?

I think danleroux had clearly said:
    My question is How will I send the info to the database. I can't use php, cold fusion ect... because this isn't online and is not in a browser it's an .exe file.
    Maybe you miss read his message.. Oh well it happens..

to: danleroux
    Flash 'N Pack is constantly updated.. if the sample aren’t clear, don't stop there. you can always join the discussion forum at http://www.flashnpack.com/forum and ask all your questions, and they will be answered promptly...
    Thanks for considering Flash 'N Pack.

I read his message and understood it perfectly. Maybe you didnt read my message explaining how he could do it.
    Gambini,
    If people like your tech support, than you must not be in it. You cant tell me you already forgot about our earlier run in. Is your version that is free for personal use crimpled in any version. Also, PHP communicates with a MySQL Database so it is just as secure as your other method.

Originally posted by jasonsplace
    If people like your tech support, then you must not be in it.
    You have taken a disliking to me and your pursuit to try and discourage the popularity of Flash Studio is simply out of spite.

To answer your question, the personal edition is NOT crippled in any way, and I invite you to download a copy and try it for yourself - I mean really, isn't that the only way to evaluate a product?

There was a legitimate question asked in this thread and several solutions provided. Comments like the one above are unnecessary.

I'm sorry Gambini, can you please send me an E-mail to jasonsplace@go.com and let me kno when the new release is available. I have a dial-up connection so I'll wait until then, download it, and then critique it fairly.

No problem, we're working hard to try and get the update out by this Friday, give or take a day or two.

I'll let you know as soon as it's available. Thanks.

Using ini like NorthCode suggested is good but if you really want a true solution, then you should consider using a True Database system
    Whatever gets the job done correctly and efficiently IS the "true solution"! A "True Database system" is not the only way to solve this problem nor is it necessarily the best way!