A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the media overkilling September 11th?

(no pun intended with the title)

I'm a New Yorker, born and raised, and I love this state, I love the city. Is it just me though when I say I think they are making way too much money off September 11th. In preparation for the anniversary I have seen so much programming, on every channel, about this tragedy. It's so frooking depressing. I don't think i'm gonna watch too much TV on wednesday, because it's just way too depressing. I don't think I want to relive that day.

Why are they overkilling it in the news? Is it to help stir up some negative middle eastern feelings? To help our campaign in Iraq?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Killa lets say you own a business.

Your business sales something.

Would you try to sale as much of something as possible, or a respectable amount of something?

when it comes to the media, particularly U.S. television, Its pretty much crap at the lowest denomenator to maximize profits.

because it is intrinsically linked with the future of the middle east and ultimately the world.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to war we go.

8==========8
    A couple of weeks ago, I would've disagreed with you probably. Now, though, I think you are right. Almost every television station is planning their own documentary of 9/11. I think it's something that we need to always remember, and never forget... but I think you are right about the media going a little overboard. I don't mind the news stations covering it, and I don't mind commercial advertisements taking a break, but I also don't think ESPN and other small networks should feel required to throw in a documentary.

I feel sorry for everyone who lost loved ones that day, and I pray that it never happens again. I also believe justice should be brought to anyone associated with the perpetrators (Al Qaeda). However, the media is starting to butcher the remembrance of the victims and turn it into a money-making campaign.

I also agree that seeing it is depressing, although seeing it also makes me realize how lucky I am to be here, and how lucky I was not to lose a loved one that horrific day.

8==========8
    btw, I wasn't saying ESPN was a small network. I was saying that they aren't known for their real world documentaries on events such as 9/11.

media is almost as evil as big tobacco.

EDIT http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/08/ar9...ady/index.html

johnhadtobanme-myfault . You won this time john, next time ill hit the button. GMF
    i cant wait till thursday

This is when I am so glad not to have TV

Well I have a TV but don't have any channels- thank goodness. I watch movies and once in a while stuff the 'rents tape for me.

it sells ads.

networks want ratings and sad or not stuff like this delivers. Advertisers will have pressured them to provide lots of hours of programming so they can advertise and say consolling things while trying to sell you car in your vunerable state, and the networks will be happy because all the content is archive and will cost them next to nothing to put together.

I can think of three, distinct reasons:
    • It is something that almost all Americans can sympathize with... thus exploit in the name of sensationalistic journalism.
      Rallying patriotism has a tendency of making people forget that the economy is in steady decline.
      Bush wants people to blindly follow his lead in his attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq, where foreign policy refinements should do just well.

I have others, but I too am personally tired of the over-exposure.

Never forget... that I'll never do. But ad nauseum? That's annoying.

Originally posted by gerbick

Rallying patriotism has a tendency of making people forget that the economy is in steady decline.

Bush wants people to blindly follow his lead in his attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq, where foreign policy refinements should do just well.[/list]
    Why would bush have any influence over the media?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by killabry
    (no pun intended with the title)

I'm a New Yorker, born and raised, and I love this state, I love the city. Is it just me though when I say I think they are making way too much money off September 11th. In preparation for the anniversary I have seen so much programming, on every channel, about this tragedy. It's so frooking depressing. I don't think i'm gonna watch too much TV on wednesday, because it's just way too depressing. I don't think I want to relive that day.

Why are they overkilling it in the news? Is it to help stir up some negative middle eastern feelings? To help our campaign in Iraq?
    Jeez, ya knew it was gonna happen - I don't see it being an issue, 'cause it was about as predictable as tomorrow rolling around. The fact that its just turned into a collective landslide of copy-cat, poor taste, over-exposure docu-tear jerkers going around is the most lamentable fact.

And no, I don't think it's just the US. Everywhere, every media outlet is cashing in on the 09/11 phenomenon. Pathetic. As said, never forget, but we don't have to be reminded every year that it happened - but we will be.

The real question is, what happens when every calander date has some atrocity associated with it? What happens if some building/monument destruction or assassination occurs on Elvis' birthday. What then. No more love fests around Graceland, 'cause that'd be tasteless?

Bush and media... pretty much hand in hand.

for instance... the wild Bush girls... well, the media jumped on it, then backed way off. If that was Chelsea Clinton... my goodness. It would have never stopped!

The fact that the mass media has polarized and became this amorphous group of people that somehow got Bush's approval ratings up. go figure... they did the impossible.

this war on terrorism... when he speaks, it sounds like he's being force fed some words that he barely understands, but it's reverberated throughout the media as "what americans need to do"...

and above all, him and cheney both have ties to oil conglomerates, and that's not been exploited yet!?

media is fickle. I've read that attacking the president now, would weaken his standing in the international arena. so, they don't... they've strenghtened him, if anything else...

bah

Originally posted by Bones12484
    However, the media is starting to butcher the remembrance of the victims and turn it into a money-making campaign.
    I think its been a money-making campaign since Sept 12th.

Originally posted by Visionray
    Originally posted by Bones12484
    However, the media is starting to butcher the remembrance of the victims and turn it into a money-making campaign.
    I think its been a money-making campaign since Sept 12th.
    me thinks your right.

one word... " ratings " lol... j/k

Originally posted by gshock
    Its true, you don't have to say j/k.

And its not just the media who is making money off this...all the big coorporations who paste 9/11 all over their products. You have companies like AT&T airing 9/11 commercials. Its rediculous, what do they care? they just want to stir emotions so people will by their product..."oh look a phone company cares." gimme a break.

Originally posted by Visionray
    Originally posted by gshock
    Its true, you don't have to say j/k.
    ROFFLELAMAOLOL!! S0rry, i b3t h3 w45 ju5t be1n@ ub3rl33t.

Originally posted by gerbick
    Bush and media... pretty much hand in hand.

for instance... the wild Bush girls... well, the media jumped on it, then backed way off. If that was Chelsea Clinton... my goodness. It would have never stopped!
    Well they backed off Gore's daughter's run ins with the police during his vp run. So i don't think thats necessarily a bush love in from the media.
    The media did indeed heavily favor Gore during the election? why the change of stance? Are they perhaps scarred that bashing bush would decrease their ratings?

wild bush girls, think I saw an add for that late at night once
    The fact that the mass media has polarized and became this amorphous group of people that somehow got Bush's approval ratings up. go figure... they did the impossible.
    no I think a group of fellows from egypt and saudi arabia take the cheif credit for that. I don't think the majority of americans base their lives on the alphabet channels, despite what the alphabet channels may claim
    this war on terrorism... when he speaks, it sounds like he's being force fed some words that he barely understands
    he always sounds like that. even before 9/11 it was painfull to listen to him speak.
    and above all, him and cheney both have ties to oil conglomerates, and that's not been exploited yet!?
    what do you suggest exploiting?

In other words you say the media supports bush. I say prove it. Or if you don't feel like, nevermind of course.

are you telling me, TGLC, that you don't see how the media treats bush now vs. pre-09/11? seriously.