A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is the media overkilling September 11th?

Originally posted by TianaKaeSha

We will never forget.. but I do not see why we need to be reminded...
    by the media, agreed

I don't mind it...I'll probably watch one of the specials this Thurdsay.

Killabry...and the rest.. How is this different then the specials about Pearl Harbor every December 7th?

And even though I haven't read the rest of the thread..I have to respond to Gerbick's post on page one...specifically to the insinuation Bush is somehow using this for political gain. What in heaven's name does Bush have to do with media specials?

Remember..these Journalists are americans too... Monetary benefit aside, this is their way of sharing. Just as I..if I had the time..was going to work on a flash movie commemorating 9/11...as many designers will.

Later,
    Clif

Originally posted by clifgriffin

And even though I haven't read the rest of the thread..I have to respond to Gerbick's post on page one...specifically to the insinuation Bush is somehow using this for political gain. What in heaven's name does Bush have to do with media specials?
    Do a class on media studies, or contemporary cultures - it will enlighten you.

And Politics 101 - Using the media for you own goals, that's a given, and not even debated academically anymore is it??.. and Bush's advisers (not him - he has no idea, as some of his unscripted moments have shown) know it only too well, as any good political advisers would.

Let me guess..it's one big conspiracy. Bush has all the networks run Sep. 11 specials so he can go and attack Iraq while we watch 'em.

Sorry..but much against popular belief, american news sources are not in the palm of the goverment. The suggestion is just absurd.

look. I've said this in the past. don't put words in my mouth.

ever.

I said that the media is behind Bush due to the fact that showing a solid front behind out elected official(s) would be something good, especially since it was not like that in or directly after, election time.

now. go back, read my comments. Nowhere I said that Bush is using this to personal gains.

and average people will watch the program. it so happens here in Australia, that lots of the tv are going to display memorials to sept. 11th.

And the media is getting majority of the people that often watches current affair programs..

You listed bush's desires as a reason the media was overkilling sep 11.

If that's not what you meant...sorry.

Clif

Originally posted by killabry
    Originally posted by TianaKaeSha
    and I wish I did not have to remind people

--T
    Then don't. From everything I hear about your job, you get underpaid and do too much work. You really should say something.
    I did I should get a pay rise next month

aversion, yes, by the media...

if it was not september 11 however, it would be about something else...

Let me guess..it's one big conspiracy. Bush has all the networks run Sep. 11 specials so he can go and attack Iraq while we watch 'em.

Sorry..but much against popular belief, american news sources are not in the palm of the goverment. The suggestion is just absurd.
    God Clif, you are so black and white it's scary!

No one has said anything about being "in the palm of [the hand of] the government", but every government knows how to use the media for their advantage. Of course they do, otherwise they wouldn't be in power in the first place. "Media saviness" is an underlying concept of the American political system. Also in other countries, but American politics has turned it into an art form.

You think ALL those movies such as "Wag the Dog" are pure fiction??

Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo

God Clif, you are so black and white it's scary!

No one has said anything about being "in the palm of [the hand of] the government", but every government knows how to use the media for their advantage. Of course they do, otherwise they wouldn't be in power in the first place. "Media saviness" is an underlying concept of the American political system. Also in other countries, but American politics has turned it into an art form.

You think ALL those movies such as "Wag the Dog" are pure fiction??

there are so many subtle methods to use, for example the white house can let it be known that the president and other notable talking heads in the administration will be more available for interviews concerning 9-11 in the run up to the anniversary; various government departments can make it easier for journos to find the information they're looking for, missing video tapes of the incident, or raids in afghanistan might turn up for example, all these things encouraging networks to provide more programming of this nature which is cheaper to produce.

lots of ways to apply pressure/persuasion, it's definitely a reciprocal relationship...

Señor member

And even though I haven't read the rest of the thread..
    CLif, how can a master-debator such as yourself consider that not reading an entire thread is good practice. I've noticed you do this a lot which leads to you posting massively inaccurate views which you insist are black or white and then retracting or contradicting your statments later in a topic. Perhaps you really should read, then think, before you post?!

master-debator

say that, 5 times, real fast. I dare you...

Señor member
    here's some interesting reading for everyone, Tony Blair will be addressing some of the powerful trade unions in the UK today trying to drum up support for the war action but he's not likely to get a good reception!

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/forei...789151,00.html

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    I don't see a problem.
    9/11 was a massive thing, you couldn't expect the media not to a have big plans for the first year anniversery. If one of the TV stations didn't air a doco or something, they would probably be branded the axis of all evil!

As for the commercial ads, the people who make these ads are human, perhaps, PERHAPS! they are genuinly paying respect.

I believe there's a huge difference between a genuine touching and sincere tribute, and 150 station staff on the ground broadcasting for the whole day from ground zero.

It is as much about PR as remembering...
    Tiger's not going to change its stripes 'cos of one event, no matter how catastrophic.

[Edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo on 09-10-2002 at 03:19 AM]

okay just my .2$.
    well,for most americans its TV that shapes thier look at things,i mean who reads news paper now.so when we say media i think,75% of media if its not more is TV,so why should evry TV not just in usa overkill that stuff.
    well,simply its ads,but,bush and his freinds,wont let our minds alone,i mean,why not make american cry,and at the end of the TV show way bring up IRAQ,"now im talking".
    so i think,they r wining both ways,money and effect.
    so i always memoed this"beleive not all u hear,and believe in 1/2 what u see"
    hope u understand me guys.
    "i hope i had a TV channel,i would rule at least my covrage area =-)"
    bush and the media,its like alice in wonderland.he can do whatever he wants =-))

Originally posted by jamble7000

And even though I haven't read the rest of the thread..
    CLif, how can a master-debator such as yourself consider that not reading an entire thread is good practice. I've noticed you do this a lot which leads to you posting massively inaccurate views which you insist are black or white and then retracting or contradicting your statments later in a topic. Perhaps you really should read, then think, before you post?!
    Well it was midnight..I was tired.

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    why do they call it 1st anniversary? it's not like it's a happy event or anything... do people really wanna see "never seen before footage"?? doing this kinda thing is like opening up a scab each time it's about to heal...

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Originally posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    but every government knows how to use the media for their advantage.
    And the U.S. media knows how to (attempt to)influence elections. The U.S. media bias is very clear. However the Media must gain ratings, becuase in the end it is a business. If higher ratings means favoring a gov/party they do not like,they must do it. Between the current executive admin and the media its sort of like a bad manipulative marriage.

By the way most governments in the world control their local media through the threat of force.

[Edited by TallGuyLittleCar on 09-10-2002 at 08:48 AM]

Good post TGLC...I agree with most of what you are saying.

Now let me take a moment to opine.

You know what is alarming? How you know-it-all Europeans think you know more about the American way of life, media, and political system than the average American does.

I'm sorry but I can't do anything but call that arrogants. And don't tell me it isn't going on, here are a few quotes for you:

US media do whatever they can do to get ratings.
    The US would be so benefitted if your public television stations were major boradcasters...
    "Media saviness" is an underlying concept of the American political system.
    for most americans its TV that shapes thier look at things
    bush and the media,its like alice in wonderland.he can do whatever he wants

Also, before you accuse me of doing the same thing...I think you will find I haven't offered advice to Europe, claimed to understand their political system to the fullest, or made huge generalizations that insinuate the naivety of European citizens. The closest I've come is to saying that their news sources are more liberal (which should be a given).

Now listen to me. Free speech drives this country. The government has not control of what the media can say or do. (Besides standard obscenity regulations)

The media is usually cruel to presidents...some more than others, if the whitehouse had any influence (and they try to) over the media, things would be a lot different. Hillary Clinton begged the media to let her daughter grow up normally..like every other kid. The first lady, Laura Bush, begged the media to leave their girls alone.

Neither has worked. Despite Gerbicks view on this...not only do they embarrass the whole family everytime one of them goes to a bar...they ask stupid questions like "I wonder if this could have any relationship to Bush's drinking problems?". And for example purposes only, Chelsea was caught smoking in a bar under 18...they never asked "I wonder if this is related to Mr. Clinton's prior Marajuana problems?".

The point is... There hasn't been a president in who knows how long that the media treated fairly...Clinton or anyone else.

It is just proof (we shouldn't need any) that the government has very little influence over American media sources.

It's really amazing how little respect our presidents get these days.

I'm not saying the government doesn't try to have influence over the media...they do every day, but I'm not sure how much of that gets heard by members of the media.

TheOriginalFlashDavo...you accuse me of being black and white...but your very statments are just as bad. You make black and white generalizations about America...and their news sources. Just look at the above list...half of those are yours.

I'm not going to say that I don't speak in black and white terms on many subjects...I do. But for you to pretend like you're in the blessed middle of every debate, seeing both sides is poppycock.

Why is every station in the free world running a documentary on 9/11? Several things.

1. Ratings and money.
    2. They don't want to be the only one who doesn't.
    3. This is just the tradition for things like this. (Expect one of these every year)
    4. These people are americans too...they want to express their feeligns in a creative way.
    5. They truly beleive that they are touching people. (which they are)

I'm really getting tired of these discussions on FK. I'm tired of being the attacked because I don't share the commonly held (usually liberal) view.

You guys need to calm down and take a breather. Or come to my website where we keep things friendly.

Peace,
    Clif