dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you love your job?

Hi guys,

its been while since i posted in the lounge. I've been quite a mess for while. I was wondering if u guys help me shed light on my situation.

I have a web development job inside a call center. But unfortunately just recenetly i feel i dont like what im doing. Its as if im just doing it because i need to earn money and im afraid to leave my job because i will loose my income. My family depends on me. I work in the night shift which sucks inspite its benefits. I hate being pushed into changing shifts i dont like. I feel im not earning much. Also, my folks are telling me to think about it... how do i see myself in web development/design after 10 years... i probably wont be successful. =(

The pay is you can say about average and the workload very managable but i just can't help thinking why im not happy when i go to work. The boss just told me some pep talk that they need me etc. etc. while at work. They praise me but i somehow dont believe them coz i feel sucky compared to outhers in my field.

yesterday i finally decided to give in to my unhappiness and not go to work last night. I feel sleepy and decided why force myself to work. I told i coworker i cant come and i dont want to work anymore... they we're quite concerned and my immediate superior texted me via sms. wanted to talk to me about what's the problem. I didnt reply.

My confidence and self esteem has gone down the drain and i feel my skills are not at par with the pro's outside anymore. I really would like a job at programming since this is what i learned in college and what basically i'm trained for.(computer science) and i know the pay is better than web development. But i dunno if i have the skills or the will. I have stagenated ever since i took the web dev job which is only a hobby. I'm not motivated to work anymore but i dunno where to go when i leave.

I had a lot of offers to apply for a programming job but i thought i'd be more comfortable here since the workload is light and the pays not bad. But ...

somehow i feel i dont feel happy and the folks there seem different from me. I'm your average compsci guy and the call center guys are more socialized i often envy them and look down upon myself for being such. I often ask why they still stay at the company which i personally think that sucks.

I considered leaving work. I've been a negative thinker lately and everything i just dont appeciate. But somehow maybe i should just learn to love myself and appreciate my job. I have difficulty doing it as if im forcing something. I dunno if its me or them that has a problem. I'm still thinking if i should come to work tonight. I feel i;ve done quite a ruse telling my coworkers i dont want to work anymore .. but this is waht i feel... i know they are concerned but why cant i appreciate them?

So um guys... what do you do to love your work?

thanks for hearing me out. I know this is a flash forum. I just wanted how guys in the same field as me deal with things like this. Please help a fellow flasher who has fallen in his way

Sorry, man. Sounds like you're having a rough time at the moment.

One thing you said about your colleagues stands out; you say that you feel inferior to them because they're more 'socialized' than you are- but then you wonder why thay stay doing what they're doing. Let me tell you - it's a lack of ambition and it's a lack of imagination. The world is full of people like them, nice people mostly, but boring. If you think your job sucks - enough to do something about it, then you've already got an advantage over these folk because you have a vision of how to improve your life.

Maybe save up for a few months, so you can afford to be unemployed for a short while, then get the hell out of there?

Maybe find new things to do outside of office hours which will give you a more personal creative outlet to take your mind off work?

There aren't many perfect jobs out there, so take you time if you do decide to jump ship.

These comments probably ain't too helpful, but I sympathise with you. Don't let 'em drag you down.

Señor member
    mate, I know exactly how you feel. I left uni 3 years ago with an economics degree (although unlike you, never had any real intention of using my degree) and ended up without a job for a while so started temping in a call centre (on the phones) but I actually began to quite enjoy it, pretty mindless stuff but I'd had worse jobs and the day used to go by pretty quick. I've moved around within the company a few times and I've got an OK kob but again, nothing particularly stimulating mentally.

I've applied for a Masters Degree in Creative Technology so I can move full time into web and digital artwork. I'm just hoping my application gets accepted then I can quit work to concentrate on that full time.

i hear ya...i had a sucky job too... i brought everything i could from home to make the best out of it..pictures lightscandles whatever i could get into the office..no one really loves work ..i mean ...i don't truthfully i hate what i do ..i can't tell the kids, can't tell their school how are they supposed tell others what dad does..they don't...so untill i get offered that great job or get that unbeliveable government contract..i will continue to plug away..as far as 10 years down the line will any of us be successfull...that depends on who you ask

Señor member
    As a person I'm pretty happy with my life, it could be a lot worse so in that respect I'm satisfied. My job is simply a transition to something more along the lines of lottery winner or ski tycoon maybe

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Web dev is a pai in the a$$, on the inside or on the outside. There's no getting around it. For example, I'm really into cookies and setting them so people can skip splash pages (OK this sounds lame, but stick with me). So I'd heavily adapted some script I saw here on FK to do what I wanted, and yesterday was setting it for a new customer, when I realized that something (my settings, the new MM player, I coudln't figure) was jamming the script, and it wouldn't work any more.

I had to work until 3 am (16 hours straight) to figure out a new method that worked, while for the same 16 hours I was a mean, short-tempered p**** to my wife, who had nothing to do with the probelm, just happeneed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not verbally mean, but curt, very introverted. I hate when i encounter problems liek this, 'cause it's so depressing, and I know that my mood just goes down the drain each and every time it happens.

So you see, in a company or on your own, it can be a very demanding business. It's not just getting the apps, getting the 'skills' and getting out there and making some cash, like a lot of people think. There's a lot of internal stress, a lot of desperate ups and downs, the best successes matched with the most disheartening lows that you imagine. I mean, how many fools would beat themselves to solve a problem for 16 hours without caving and saying that's just about enough of that. You need an extreme amount of patience for web dev, and maybe that's it - you've run out. None left for the company, the people, the beaurocracy (red tape crap), none for the actual development process.

I read your post and it seems that your feeling tired and low is a state of depression. I wouldn't want to suggest anything radical, but perhaps for your welfare and for those who care about you, you should call it quits. If what you're doing (and I don't just mean web dev, this applies to anything) makes you feel so down, I think that it's time to pick up sticks and move on. Life can sometimes focus too much on the check and not on the pleasure of life itself (trite, I know, but I think it's true) and rather than waiting for things in your situation to get better, maybe you need to make the first move.

Anyway, I hope things work out for you -
    Good luck and let us know how things work out, what you decide to do.

lynx, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've slowly been getting out of contracts as I go towards the end of the year with the idea that I will take a year off next year, 2k3.

frustration, unhappiness with my job, my own business, has driven me to that level. but you know what? it hits me sometimes, especially when I talk to some of my closest family or friends... work, life is never going to be easy. Nor what we envision. But if you look at where you're at now, and you honestly do not see how far you've gotten, how much you've learned from, let's say your 10th grade year, then there's a problem.

However, I'm doubtful that you'll see that nothing has changed from there. You've learned many skills, you've gotten yourself forward in life. You said that you feel as if you are "sucky compared to the others in your field"... dude, I understand that totally. But guess what? You still have a job, and sounds like your boss respects you enough to give you a pep talk... that's saying a lot. I know some cold managers that wouldn't pep talk a dying person.

And a bit of hard time with the job will happen anywhere, anytime. Stick it through, and you'll come out on the other side with a brighter outlook.

Trust me... I've been there.

But if you do decide to move on, think about a few key things... do you have enough money to make it last over 6 months? Do you have a contingency plan (what's next)? Have you thought this all the way through? Above all, can you handle the fact that you might have to take an even lesser job, that's less challenging, less paying given the way that the global economy is at the moment?

Just some things to ponder. Good luck on your endeavors mang

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    blah blah blah... well of course everyone gave good advices, and said true things, but i'll be very brief...

I had a time when i tried twice to suicide (with a year of difference between the 2, pre-spring depression), and would have tried some more if i got the chance... i was almost interned in a clinic for therapy, psycologists, psychiatrists, blah blah blah... in the end how did i got over it all? i decided to just be happy! whats the point? you feel your miserie not just for a situation, but for yourself! if you get on your mind to be happy, it will not give happiness of course, but it will make u feel great!

FK Board Loser
    I hate what I do, sit in the office all day get no sun shine, can't see the outside world, no human interaction, don't get paid enough, I hate my boss(s), I hate my financial situation. I hate it all and yet I am forced to work, why because if I don't I will be homeless, that's why. That's the american way...

by the way, "miserie" is spelled as "misery".

ta ta

I always reckon that you shouldn't stay at something if it makes you unhappy... but yeh, make sure you have a goto plan.

Oh, and I always say to remember the feeling of others too, just not turning up to work is unprofessional, but also really rude. (or that is how it will seem to others anyway...) It is usually best not to burn your bridges, particularly when you are still on 'em

Thanks all of you guys for sharing you thoughts and experiences. For a while before i posted i thought i was all alone experiencing these things. It turns out a lot of folks here share the same things as i do.

I kinda been thinking and decided not to let my problem bother me and continue with my life with more appreciation of what i have and rather than i do not currently have. I realized If i may lack anything or experienced hardships it may have as well be a challenge for me, a way for me to grow and prosper.

That night i was pissed off at my parents because it seems all my money just went to the house and never benefited me directly. i was angry because i didnt have enough money for myself to buy upgrades for my pc. they always ask money from me.I get pissed because i work slaving for a night and knowing that money isnt gonna benefit me. Who would like slaving off when you know the money you get wont be in your pocket. That night i wanted to be liek those people who didnt have any problems in life and get all the things they wanted simply because they didnt have to worry about money and stuff.

I told them that and i thought i was expressing my anger, true it let out some of the bad stuff but i realized i was angry to those same people who support me so much. Its just that they really just need the money. I'm forgetting that im the eldest in the family and being poor i really had to work. I didnt have much motivation because of the above reason thats why i didnt want to work anymore. But then all i had to do was to accept my situation. When i realized all the negative things i said and done... i decided its time for me to change.

All that anger i took me a huge blow for me as well. All the while they were supporting me while i was down and i was angry at them. I did;nt realize it until now.I finally realize that working for the ones i love matters most and made all my fears and insecurities in life. It made me feel that in the end of the day there will be my family (mom dad and sis) who will wait for me at home everyday to arrive. That alone is very important than trying to pretend to be somebody or constantly think about yourself to fit in. I feel that i stroked upon the things that actually made me happy. I did'nt appreciate what im doing for my family until i realized i hurt them so much by being selfish.

Its time for me to live with my life with renewed happiness and strength. Learn to adapt, stop judging myself anymore and just try to live life and experience. All the while i was whining about me not having anything but in reality i have everything i needed right here. I was just to negative about it. I forgot how beautiful things are. I will learn to appreciate everything i have and count my blessings. I will stay with my job for a little while longer. Finally i found something to look forward to everyday.

Now i'm doing it for my family. They're all you got when all things just just go down.

Thanks for hearin me guys

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    As they say, family are the people who have to let you in the house, even if they don't want to.

My Ma and Pa have been there a coupla times when I thought the chips were down, and they really know how to point out what you need to do.

Glad you figured a new perspective. I thought you might. After I figured my cookie thing out, I was bright and cheery again. Although, that doesn't excuse my bad humour when I have a similar problem, nor does it offer a solution.

Such is the way.