A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading movies in to other .swf in other frame set

Hello any and all,

Ok, I need a actionScript (or what ever) that that loads an (.swf) into another (.swf) in another frameset. Also the movie needs to load to level 2 inside that (.swf) of that other frameset. Can this be done?

God I hope so… Please if you can, please help…

Thanks stranger...

--
    Tim Nelson

Banned
    First do you mean in 1 other frame of one frameset?

Yes.

Banned
    So, recap...

From, I guess, a button in one frame of a frameset, you want to load a .swf on level 2 of another .swf already loaded in another frame of that same frameset?

Originally posted by oldnewbie
    So, recap...

From, I guess, a button in one frame of a frameset, you want to load a .swf on level 2 of another .swf already loaded in another frame of that same frameset?

Yes, but it’s an ‘html link’ in one frame of a frameset, I want to load a .swf on level 2 of another .swf already loaded in another frame of that same frameset…

Can I send you a .gif that explains everything?

Banned
    Yes! oldnewbie@hotmail.com

But can't work on this right now! Maybe later, if nobody else responds.

It's an easy issue, you can use the LocalConnection() object for this, but you will have to prepare BOTH movies for this (if you want a button to load the movie into the flash movie in the other "frameset", you will HAVE to make that button in flash, you can't do it with a gif).

You can find details on how to use it here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/

I'm not going to describe the whole thing because I'll just confuse you, but it just works like a function call, the only difference is that it calls functions set in other movies..it's a very, very easy and even more useful trick!

Cheers!

See link below for example of solution needed.

http://www.deluxeyum.com/example.gif

Thanks "oldnewbie" I will be looking for you're responce.

If anyone else would or could help out I would be so grateful!

Thanks to all you stranger!

--
    Tim Nelson

oldnewbie,

I will give it a go! Thanks for your time oldnewbie!

I hope this works!

I will let you know!

--
    Tim Nelson

One other thing oldnewbie,

This isn't going to reload the topFrame set is it?

I am having problems with the topFrame becoming SCROLL=YES, and I can't have it do that, I've set it to SCROLL=NO.

--
    Thanks again for your help!

Originally posted by keyone.it
    It's an easy issue, you can use the LocalConnection() object for this, but you will have to prepare BOTH movies for this (if you want a button to load the movie into the flash movie in the other "frameset", you will HAVE to make that button in flash, you can't do it with a gif).

You can find details on how to use it here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/

I'm not going to describe the whole thing because I'll just confuse you, but it just works like a function call, the only difference is that it calls functions set in other movies..it's a very, very easy and even more useful trick!

Cheers!

Banned
    So? Should I spend time on this or not?

oldnewbie,

No, I really think I should dig in and try to make this work myself. With the direction you've given me I hope to put all the pieces together. This stuff is fun!

When I am done with the project I will let you know what happened.

Thanks again oldnewbie... Thanks, thanks, thanks!

--
    Tim Nelson

Banned
    May I single out the fact that I wasn't the one that pointed you to the LocalConnection bit, I wouldn't of used that myself! So if you get it working, your thanks should be directed to a true professional (read friendly sarcasm please!)... And I have named Keyone.it!

Keyone.it,

I am completely sorry about that! Man, when a guy gets going he's just too happy that there are real strangers outThere willing to help; what can I say I got all excited to finish the problem at hand.

Many thanks to you Keyone.it!

I will let you know how everything works out... Later.

--
    Tim Nelson

Sent to me from olnewbi:

May I single out the fact that I wasn't the one that pointed you to the LocalConnection bit, I wouldn't of used that myself! So if you get it working, your thanks should be directed to a true professional (read friendly sarcasm please!)... And I have named Keyone.it!

Originally posted by oldnewbie
    Thank oldneebei! I have clarified the mistake...

I still want you to know I thank for everything.

__
    Tim Nelson

Banned
    In case it doesn't work... The other professional way!

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...g/frameset.htm

Didn't use an html link in the bottom frame (used a standard window button), but you could use whatever you wanted.

Everything you need to know is in the htmls!

Actually the other way around is very good too, I tend to forget about HTML's new features, like the integration of buttons for flash.
    Remember about making things cross-platform, as it is more likely to encounter unsupported features outside flash, rather than inside (that's why I try to build everything directly in flash....I know it would be great if Netscape and Mac supported all the features that you get with IE6 on PC...). (On the other side, statistically it's easier that people have already got the latest Flash plug-in rather than the latest browser version. It's mostly caused by the tedium of having to download such big amounts of data for the browser update.... this means that you have to be careful with advanced DHTML or Javascript features).

If you are looking for help on that side, you can visit this site of a friend of mine http://dhtmlcentral.com/

oldnewbie, I'm sorry, I thought I was dealing with a very childish man, but in fact you are probably just a young kid, so you have all the rights to act like that.. and I'm sorry for you if your parents can't do any better..

Banned
    You kids really don't have a sense of humour and take all of this very too seriously...