A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUG ALERT!! stttuuttter on cd-rom

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    With Flash N' Pack, your end user shouldn't have to install anything before they use your product. You install Flash N' Pack and then it will compile your projector file. Your projector is just a normal exe that should run on any computer. This is how all of the other 3rd party tools work also (ie: SWF Studio, Flash Studio, etc.). I like SWF Studio the best but I dont think that it has anything to Defrag the memory. Hop this Helps.

It looks like you misunderstood how Flash 'N Pack works...
    You don't have to run any programs to recover the lost memory, all you have to do is Compile your .swf using Flash 'N Pack and run the fscommand("Memory.Defrag","TextField1"); on the first frame of the Movie... that's it.... no other programs to run or worry about.. It will all be one .exe standalone projector... your Movie.exe... so please take the time and download Flash 'N Pack trial version to completely understand the process...
    I hope this clears some of the misunderstanding...
    Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks jasonsplace for the explaination it looks like we were posting at the same time

...so can i not just put in the fs command? Does flashn'pack add any functionality or is it simply a compiling/ custom exe editor? what sort of delay can i expect between the vdo swf's? I would gladly buy it, but i need to know if it works....The hassle of burning cd's and testing it on a bunch of different machines doesn't appeal to me ( just some of my client's customers reported the problem)
    questions
    questions

...to continue...
    I took a look at flashnpack and i'm not sure what settings i should be putting in.
    My move is a main navigation swf where about 40 different swf's (with embedded video) load into the main nav using loadmovie, target...where the target is a placeholder mc.

Originally posted by liquid_len
    ...so can i not just put in the fs command? Does flashn'pack add any functionality or is it simply a compiling/ custom exe editor? what sort of delay can i expect between the vdo swf's? I would gladly buy it, but i need to know if it works....The hassle of burning cd's and testing it on a bunch of different machines doesn't appeal to me ( just some of my client's customers reported the problem)
    questions
    questions
    It recompiles the projector with the new code it needs to use the new fscommands.

That's my guess

Originally posted by liquid_len
    ...to continue...
    I took a look at flashnpack and i'm not sure what settings i should be putting in.
    My move is a main navigation swf where about 40 different swf's (with embedded video) load into the main nav using loadmovie, target...where the target is a placeholder mc.
    Ok it's easy:

First Download the latest beta version 1.0.0.4 from http://www.flashnpack.com/forum

Open your main navigation swf in flash then in it's first frame put this : fscommand("Memory.defrag", "TextField1"); where textField1 is our Dynamic text that will show you the progress....

Next open Flash 'N Pack Designer..Next from the SWF Movie section add your main navigation swf after that check Mark "Keep External (RunFrom CD-ROM) " now add any extra features you like, like Disable right Mouse click and so on... Next Click on Build Exe.. and click "Compile" place the new created .exe in the root of the CD-Rom ... well for testing you can just create a folder and copy your new .exe top it with main navigation swf being in the same folder.. now copy the rest of your Swf to the root of the folder... run your .exe and that's it...

Just a friendly follow up.....
    Did any of the above help?

nope....screw flash video from cd-rom...Director it is, thx anyway!

MX can embedd video not play large chunks of it...

the technote is already out and has been for a while http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...s/bigflash.htm

The whole video in SWF thing was a fad in the first place as you have always and still are limited to 16,000 frames. Do the math... at 16 fps you can get 15 minutes of video and that is assuming the machine can handle it. At 24 fps you opnly get 11. Compared to Real, QT, and MS Media which can stream over basically unlimeted video how does that stack up?? Also in most cases you get better compresion (smaller file) using almost any type of video except AVI.

Why do you think the flash player is so small compared to the Shockwave player? Compared to QT, Real, WMP, heck even Winamp?

Also if MM designed Flash to the point to replace Director wouldn't it make sense they charged the same for the apps and discontinue one of them or merge the two??

bump

bump

bump

bump