A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: liquid_len RE: stttuuttter on cd-rom

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    liquid_len:
    Hello,
    I've created a large flash presentation on cd-rom and have experienced the stutter problem that has been mentioned on a few threads.(the client did some tests and the results were, well...TERRIBLE). The swf's are approx 10-20 megs each and load into the main navigation using the loadmovie,target...
    My question is...have you been able or have any info at all on how to fix this problem? I'll be e-mailing everyone that I thinkcan help, and post and e-mail any info I get.Please help if you can!
    thx,
    Len
    are you using flash player 6.0.50.0

your swfs are too large... try either breaking them up into smaller files or preloading them...

you also may want to look into director for that kind of thing...

[small]you can preload offline/cdrom[/b]

Thx for the post BUT i do believe you can NOT use a preloader...Off of cd-rom the file loads directly into ram....A few people have experienced the same problem and file size did not seem to be the issue..Have you tested your theory on different machines from cd-rom? If you were sure it worked that would be great...but i'm pretty sure you can't preload from cd-rom..

bump

bump

The problem is not fixed yet. MM knows about it and they are actively working on it. I am in frequent contact with people at MM and we working to find a solution. Believe me, when the problem is fixed, you will hear about it becuase you will be able hear my shouts of joy from any point on the globe.
    -AzF

Sorry, forgot to mention something. Since the bug does not typically show up if you run the program off the hard drive, they are working on some workarounds that effectively copy the files from the CD onto the harddrive and then run it from there. Apparently there is a technote or 2 coming soon that will describe this. Also, I guess the FlashJestor program has some kind of an option or command that allows you to do this. I cannot speak about this myself as I just heard about it, have not tried it, and I am not sure it will work for us anyway. I know what you are thinking..."Why is MM working on technotes instead of just fixing the freakin' problem?"...don't ask me-I don't work there. Anyway if someone figures out how to make this workaround actually work, I am sure there are lots of people who would like to hear about it.
    -AzF