A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash image sizes and jerkiness

I'm creating a site for a photographer. The images must each be 400x400 pix. The images are viewed in a movie created in Flash. The viewer has the option of stoping the movie to see specific images. My questions are:

1) I want the movie to run as smoothly as possible without forfeiting too much of the quality of these images. What is the ideal range in terms of size of images for a situation like this?

2)Right now I have the images compressed at between 20k - 40k. The movie seems jerky especially where there are transitions (which there are quite a few of). How do I make the movie run more smoothly?

Thanks,
    Monr

FK's Osirus
    ur computer screen Chars Viewed: 127,417,094 Total Posts Viewed: 61,825 Total Threads Viewed: 12,598
    400x400 is an above average size for images. It all depends on the users graphics card and how well it works in 2D. I can't think of any solution of making them smoother.

With pics, all your editing is recommended to be done in photoshop or something, if u save it as 100% quality thats your best bet, but then your file size in flash is gonna be big, you could also try to get one of those compression utility's to make your swf file smaller....i think wildform makes one u can use....

Peace

Here's MM suggestions on Bitmap Quality:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...agequality.htm

Ans also one on Pixel Shifts, cuz you'll most likely be back asking about it later
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...maps_shift.htm

Everyone seems to have there own opinion on the best methods. I have found saving the images as Loss Less PNG, and importing them into Flash work the best.

You can always set the compression by right clicking on the icon in the library->Export properties. You can then experiment with differing formats. Flash can import one format and export it as another. Jpeg gives the most compresion settings. Look under file-Publish Settings

My solution to this would be to use lower dimesion thumbnails. Then have the larger jpg load when clicked. If you have MX you can dinamically load jpgs. If you are use 5 a pop up would be the only way to load it dynamically.